NAP-140 Clone Amp Kit on eBay

Good day
Dear Traderbam what you think about:
What happens when DIYers make of clone Naim amps and not have naim sound when work is done ?
I think your story is same with working stories diyers naim,s clones :))

Many things in naim amps make for sound
And when you DIY your naim clone your not have of all naim fabric experience and methods and others :)
Simple amp and schematic but not simple building … :)
Hi Oleg.
Good question.
One explanation is that people clone the schematic diagram but the diagram is an incomplete specification. The missing specifications include PCB layout, wiring, capacitor types and how to select the transistors.

Another explanation is that people modify the original design based on incomplete understanding of the system. The typical mods are output coils and simple psu decoupling. In isolation these things are beneficial but in a system they can cause bad side-effects.

The original Naim design looks simple on paper but it is far from simple. I see 5 main innovations that are either not understood or are overlooked by most people. They are not explained in any documents I have come across.

Reactions: 1 user
I think you right :)
Because up to 2000y JV change all design by him philosophy and correct anything for getting excellent sound (Naim sound)
After 2000y engineers have a free watching by all design.
This happens some like American Space program (Verner Fon Broun) and Soviet Union space program (Sergei Korolyov). Head chiefs is gone and all stopping …

It doesn't surprise me that the Nait 5i sounds dull. That's predictable from the circuit design. What does surprise me is that Naim made this circuit. Did the recipe get lost when Sells was put in charge? Weird.
Schematic the Nait5i more different with Nait3 and Nait5

Nait5i/5si/super/Xs have a different input and output design.
Output is not quasi :))

About Steve design...
“i'm an artist i see it that way..”

Last edited:
nait5 schematic (I believe :)
Nait5i .PNG

Joined 2010
Paid Member
Yes, the above schematic in #4526 is the 5i design (2003) - same as referred to earlier. The missing schematics are the earlier Nait5 (2000), and Nait5si (2013) which I haven't found on the internet yet. Perhaps the Nait 5 was a work in progress at the time and the new management team wanted to start afresh - leaving the product as JV intended.

It seems the Nait5 had problems from the start, which at least the new management team must have realised, with 2 significantly improved versions already. So the question I'm actually asking here is; what were those "improvements"? Just more power, standard RCA connectors and complementary output stages? I think that the beefier XS integrated amplifier also went through 2 revisions or "i=improved" versions at about the same time, maybe that's also relevant.

My friend JPK checked for me Supernait inputs voltages
And 31v-G-31v AC Is very HI power output to speakers :)

I think the Supernait2 have a same voltage but I not sure. Maybe Supernait2 have more power.

Attachments

• E8A7A820-F3B4-420C-9239-B46827BF7BB2.jpeg
    E8A7A820-F3B4-420C-9239-B46827BF7BB2.jpeg
    329.7 KB · Views: 79
Last edited:
Yes, the above schematic in #4526 is the 5i design (2003) - same as referred to earlier. The missing schematics are the earlier Nait5 (2000), and Nait5si (2013) which I haven't found on the internet yet. Perhaps the Nait 5 was a work in progress at the time and the new management team wanted to start afresh - leaving the product as JV intended.
My schematic has named as Nait5ii / 2012.

Reactions: 1 user
Joined 2010
Paid Member
I may have missed something but the 5i and 5ii amplifiers seem to be very similar if not the same design, at least as far as the power amplifier sections are concerned. Apparently, the original Nait 5 was rated at 30W/channel/8R though a couple of reviewers believe it is more capable than that. The Supernait is rated 80W/8R and Nait5 ("i" and "ii" versions) are 60W/8R). I guess those differences are mostly due the sizes of the power transformers.

There are also some differences between models in the mix of Din V RCA connectors. This is likely about making enough connections to legacy Naim gear, such as Snaps power supplies, Stageline phono preamps etc. where Naim were probably the only hifi manufacturers still using them.

Last edited:
If you want to make great experience, you can try to make a DIY Naim stuff. It's really difficult to find real naim sound. Perhaps, you can find real values and material and you can finish with very good sound. But, like me if it's difficult to find real Naim material like transistors, capacitors.. you have to try many different materials and may be spend too much money and time :) NAP140's material can be found and like me you can get real sound after perhaps one year after :) after trying many power transistors and capacitors, diagrams. But, if you don't want to spend much time for this. It's easy to find a second hand Naim. You can renew some capacitors and use it. Very very simple and perhaps cheaper. Also, note that at least Naim has 5-6 kg toroidal transformer :) Also, note that if you make a naim diagram you will get an amplificator, not difficult.