NAIM NAP250 Original clone build thread

Glad to see your finished amplifier!

I'm surprised what you say in comparisons with the original Naim. Is it the output protection cards that could degrade? Are the MJ15003 output transistors worse than the Naim Originals?

For my part, I have not yet reworked the ground plane in order to reduce the hum of my amps as much as possible. I admit that I was a little tired after all this work and above all I am now enjoying my new amp coupled with my brand new speakers ^^

But I still have my old amplifier to be able to do tests on the ground plane later when I have the time and the courage.

Both my amps have the same protection modules etc., and layout is same, but the Naim has Holden+Fisher transformers and Mundorf caps, the clone has Toroidy transformers and Kemet caps. I think the clone is too tightly stuffed, hence things disturb each other. Also it sounded much better when it was wired outside the case with flying leads. I will try to disable the separate front end PSUs and see if that changes things. BTW the H+F transformers have 2 center tapped windings each, the Toroidys only one, so the rectifier arrangement is a bit different as well.

Last edited:
Here pictures of the finished amps:

Attachments

• nap.jpg
    nap.jpg
    520.6 KB · Views: 117
  • clone.jpg
    clone.jpg
    631.8 KB · Views: 120
Reactions: 4 users
When I had them wired outside the case with crocodile clip wires my clone sounded better, but mounted in the cases I am not sure. I have to test some more configurations to see if it's because of the front end PSU which was powered differently: I shared the transformer/smoothing caps of the output stage, now it has a dedicated (but smaller) transformer with other types of caps. Also the original boards were powered from the same arrangement, but now there are vintage Holden+Fisher transfomers as you can see in the picture. It seems the original sounds more dark and smooth, the clone more open and textured, but somehow a bit flat in comparison... Any thoughts?

Last edited: