My_Ref Fremen Edition - Build thread and tutorial

In fact, it might be that you connected PE wire to one live side?! I suspect from the looks..?

Not that I know, here's a close up. Furutech says upper tap is Earth. The lower two tabs go directly to the transformer.

Attachments

• IMG_20170525_135440.jpg
    IMG_20170525_135440.jpg
    531.2 KB · Views: 246
  • IMG_20170525_135349.jpg
    IMG_20170525_135349.jpg
    371.6 KB · Views: 229
1A is absolutely enough, for a transformer with zero load..

But Oleg is right, the same test You can do much better with the tester.

Pull out the line plug, so you have your socket free. Test continuity between the two extreme leads. (this is the primary, should be some ohm)
Then test for continuity between center plug in the socket (PE) and line pins (extremities)

All this with the PE wire in place.

Ciao, George

Was also nothing wrong with continuity, tests were fine.

But.

Changed the screw terminal and put it in the air and everything worked fine. It was the only thing I changed. 23,8 volt on every pair.

So maybe the screw terminal leaked? It looked fine... Anybody any idea?

I really appreciate all your support! Hope the amplifier will work at first try.

Last edited:
What size of bulb is fitted into the bulb holder?

Andrew, I can't source the incandescent bulb: my whole house is led or halogen, and stores aren't allowed to sell those things anymore. Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression a light bulb only works with the incandescent bulb. That's the reason I didn't build one. All the other parts were already acquired, but I never found the last :bulb: If not, please elaborate what I should or could use.

Offtopic: read somewhere that those new IOT/connected LED bulbs use more energy than the old incandescents. Go figure:scratch:

I can't source the incandescent bulb: my whole house is led or halogen, and stores aren't allowed to sell those things anymore.
:

I finally put a bulb tester together late last year when I started building a Class A amp. I was surprised how hard it was to find incandescent bulbs, even though it is still legal here in the US.

Glad you figured it out.

Jac

It is alive!!!

White smoke!

The relais popped/clicked, the red LEDs are burning and a soft buzzing of the transformers. No weird hotness around parts, so it should be ok!

Measurements and soldering of input and output will be a job for tomorrow. Thanks for all the help today:worship:

Attachments

• IMG_20170525_221656.jpg
    IMG_20170525_221656.jpg
    874.1 KB · Views: 251
Ah, not able to go there myself. Too far away from Haarlem. Let me know how it went and what they thought about it. Last year I went to Breda (I think) with my troels gravesen DTQWT mkIII to see how it sounded with some very special tube gear. Liked the solid state amp better on those speakers. That's when the search for another amp started. So beware ;)

I think Dick Van Merwe will be there too (audio-creative). Should be a few notches above the standard gainclone he likes so much...

You used naked fast-on connectors on the transformers secondaries. There is a chance that those connectors touch each other or the nearest rectifier diode and thus short the secondary. I would suggest to dress those connectors in shrink tube even if it is not what causes you trouble now.
Also if you now have only 1A fuse (you mentioned this is the only one which is left in your parts bin) it may be too little for the inrush current of two MyRefs PSU filter capacitors. Other than these two scenarios I am out of ideas on what can be wrong with your setup.