My_Ref Fremen Edition - Build thread and tutorial

C13 is the DC blocking capacitor on the input.
The sch shows 1uF into 100k.
That gives an F-3dB = 1.6Hz
The audio band goes down to roughly 20Hz.
C13 filtering is more than a decade below the wanted audio band.
Any plastic film cap here will pass ALL of the Audio band.
One can adopt polypropylene instead of polyester, but that will not give any reduction in audio distortion. There will be no added audio distortion, because there is no audio filtering.

Ok it's this one, but C13 is also named C1 in another schematic...

Edit : No problem to choose C1= 0,01 uF = 10 nF = 10000 pF? F-3dB = 160 Hz
Any "suggested best parts" for this value ?

Last edited:
So I took the risk and put ADA4627-1 BRZ in the circuit.

It works, too.. results in an all stable response to the impulse test, like the one above.

Really interesting, George.

I would use an OPA827 if stable, though, it would have a timbre more similar to LM318's one.

In its "original" configuration, with the LM318, the FE (with a good but somewhat "less extreme" BOM, to be honest) was sounding very well but was clearly inferior to George's excellent sounding "myEvo". To our surprise, the same FE with the ADA OpAmp in place of the LM318s outperformed the Evo on all parameters.

In audiophile's terms, the OpAmp change is definitely a HUGE improvement! :happy1:

This says something about the opamp change but, sincerely, the comparison between the My_Evo and FE is not fair if they're not using the same components...particularly when one of them is using Z-Foils and the other not....

I would use an OPA827 if stable, though, it would have a timbre more similar to LM318's one.

From Modulus-86 Rev. 2.1: Composite amplifier achieving 0.000067 % THD.
The LM3886 provides the output power and is controlled by an LME49710 precision audio opamp. This topology results in a composite amplifier where the small signal performance is controlled almost entirely by the LME49710 precision audio amplifier. The composite amplifier will, thus, exhibit vanishingly low distortion, stellar power supply rejection, and have a sonic signature very close to that of an LME49710.
It would be interesting to know why Tom chose the LME
The LME49990 has twice the bandwidth of the LME49710, so you will have to tweak the compensation to compensate. In general, I don't recommend opamp "rolling" with composite amplifiers.

It would be interesting to know why Tom chose the LME

The LME series has vanishing low distortion figures, I'm sure Tom choose them mainly for this reason, along with an extensive measurement comparison.

But the My_Ref is a different beast which needs even more care for the use of an Howland Current Pump.

Stability is a more important goal than vanishing low distortion. ;)

And BTW distorsion is already vanishing low with LM318 :cool:

George,

How is the compensation network connected with ADA4627-1 opamp? ADA has no compensation pin like LM318 (pin 8).

Would you mind to share the simulation files for Tina-TI?

Thanks!
Have a look at the "rev.A" mod. With it, the FF comp. via pin 8 is no longer required. That's what made it possible the use of different OpAmp (beware, not anyone!!).

Inviato dal mio GT-I9100 utilizzando Tapatalk

This says something about the opamp change but, sincerely, the comparison between the My_Evo and FE is not fair if they're not using the same components...
It was NOT meant as a comparison between them, Dario!

Being impossible to quickly swap the OpAmps to compare them on the same amp, we have used the Evo as a common reference.

Have a look at the "rev.A" mod. With it, the FF comp. via pin 8 is no longer required. That's what made it possible the use of different OpAmp (beware, not anyone!!).

I still don't get it... With rev.A mod there is still R43 and C34 between pin 8 and output.

Attachments

• rev.A mod.jpg
    rev.A mod.jpg
    60.7 KB · Views: 319

Dario! That's really something telepatic.. as usual with You

I do use the OPA827 in the Evo, presently.
And while I like what I hear -- it is not the same quantum leap like that with the FE board+ADA4627.
The basic character remained more or less the same, indeed.
The OPA827 had brought a bit of extra smoothness, or in other words it has taken a bit of that hard edginess that I did not like in my Evo; which is very likely a combination of the Cerafine power filters and the Mundorf main caps;
(It's not principally due to the LM318; in other builds it was possible to get a very smooth result, with the classic LM318 configuration)

The OPA827 really has an extra warmth in the midbass region; but still a quite forward, very clean, quick, open, and stable big scene. (~like before)
In the same time, listening to it I start to miss the extra 'correctness' of the LM318 in the bass region..

Oh, and it is a chip which do oscillate in the direct replacement. Slightly, but still. Had to change a bit the compensation.

Had I started with this replacement in the FE, maybe I would not have ended up here, talking about it..

Below it is the square wave response with OPA827, direct;
second shot is after that the comp. cap adjusted (to 100pF)

Attachments

• 20160803_234553.jpg
    20160803_234553.jpg
    348.1 KB · Views: 292
  • 20160803_234237.jpg
    20160803_234237.jpg
    374.6 KB · Views: 283
Last edited:
The same with ADA4627 in the FE board: (I did not link these measurements yet)

Attachments

• FE_ADA4627_-10db_44k_5W_1kHz_kulstap_10mF_28_jul_massa.jpg
    FE_ADA4627_-10db_44k_5W_1kHz_kulstap_10mF_28_jul_massa.jpg
    262.1 KB · Views: 81
  • FE_ADA4627_-10db_44k_5W_10kHz_kulstap_10mF_28_jul_massa.jpg
    FE_ADA4627_-10db_44k_5W_10kHz_kulstap_10mF_28_jul_massa.jpg
    262.6 KB · Views: 75
  • FE_ADA4627_-12db_44k_5W_high_multitone_kulsotap_10mF_26_jul_massa.jpg
    FE_ADA4627_-12db_44k_5W_high_multitone_kulsotap_10mF_26_jul_massa.jpg
    286.5 KB · Views: 77
  • FE_ADA4627_-10db_44k_5W_13-14kHz_IMD_kulstap_10mF_28_jul_massa.jpg
    FE_ADA4627_-10db_44k_5W_13-14kHz_IMD_kulstap_10mF_28_jul_massa.jpg
    266.3 KB · Views: 73
Dario! That's really something telepatic.. as usual with You

:D

I do use the OPA827 in the Evo, presently.
And while I like what I hear -- it is not the same quantum leap like that with the FE board+ADA4627.
The basic character remained more or less the same, indeed.
The OPA827 had brought a bit of extra smoothness, or in other words it has taken a bit of that hard edginess that I did not like in my Evo;
(..)
The OPA827 really has an extra warmth in the midbass region; but still a quite forward, very clean, quick, open, and stable big scene. (~like before)
In the same time, listening to it I start to miss the extra 'correctness' of the LM318 in the bass region..

How much run-time on the OPA827?

It will change by a not small margin in some tens of hours...

Most of that warmth and bass emphasys (or less control if you want) will go resulting in a very neutral presentation which remains harmonically rich.

ADA4627 will remain a bit dry.