My_Ref Fremen Edition - Build thread and tutorial

Hello to everyone,I just thought I would share.I got this far about a year ago and haven't done anything to it since.It's hard to take apart once it's playing:eek:.
I can say this.It's the only thing in the house that I can play for extended periods of time at louder levels without the wife stomping over and turning it down.:D I don't know what it is but man this thing is Sooooo easy on the ears.I have other lm3886 amps in the house but compared to this,they kinda make you wince after awhile and I end up turning off...much sooner.
I'm very happy I built it.
Thanks to you all

On top is a b1 buffer SALAS board that I've had for years and recently finished after getting inspired by the Myref freman.

Nice box Bitoman, I would like to know how My-ref sounds with DCB1 as I hope one day building an active crossover based on DCB1...

Never tried but it should be, as for toroids.

Dario is referring to guys like Bob who compared toroid transformers at roughly 160 and 300 VA. If you are curious, dig back into the posts in the FE RC thread. As I recall, Bob found that the bigger toroid sounded better, bass I think.

Like Dario, my understanding is that R-core transformers are more efficient and don't need the big size, so it might be a little overkill.

Jac

Thanks for the clarification. However I have another question: The capacitor C21 is not in the project Mouser which is an alternative? Thanks

Ivan,

Great point. First of all, C21 is a bypass cap for C9. It is optional. If you use a Blackgate cap for C9, you won't need C21. Even with other C9 caps, using C21 would be builder's choice. The amp will work fine without it.

One possible alternative that is available at Mouser, at least at the US website, is the 63 volt version (505-FKP20.022/63/2.5). That should be fine in that location. Just search on FKP2 and 0.022 uF on your local Mouser site and find the 5 mm lead spacing parts available.

Another alternative that should be fairly good, although I haven't tried them in this location, would be the Vishay MKP1837 (well respected) which is available at Mouser (75-MKP1837322161). It is a metalized film cap (MKP) where the Wima is a film/foil (FKP) which should be a bit better sounding.

Have fun with your build.

Jac

Last edited:
The schematic link on the GB's opening post has been updated with the 1.2 version.

Another alternative that should be fairly good, although I haven't tried them in this location, would be the Vishay MKP1837 (well respected) which is available at Mouser (75-MKP1837322161).

While highly regarded I would not use MKP1837s... they tend to hide details...use FKP2s