My Take on X-BOSOZ

Coming in a bit late I guess...

This might be the best layout by far I’ve seen for this preamp. Excellent work Russ, please receive my congratulations, I like those FET’s aligned to the side of the board which makes them easy on heatsinking, :cool: at least from my humble DIY point of view.

One thing I noticed on the schematic is the lack of protection on Q4/5 gates. I know many of us don’t like zeners there but being a passive devise as long as the voltage is not exceeding the zener rating it does not intrude on the signal.

If this is going to be a group buy I would suggest having the opinion from other members interested on the boards. I would vote to add them and if someone doesn’t like these just don’t solder them.

I’m in for a couple of boards

Nisbeth said:
Russ, what is the lead spacing of the C4/C5 caps on the amplifier board? If I'm reading it right it's 15mm and finding a 10uF film cap in that package is hard to say the least. Did you have a specific part in mind when you chose that footprint?

/U.

Hi Nisbeth,

I have some MKPs that fit, but I am willing to add some more pads for bigger radial type caps.

I actually plan on using 33uf axial foil caps.

EDIT forgot to mention that the LS is for 10 or 15mm caps, which you can get.

Cheers!
Russ

Re: Coming in a bit late I guess...

apassgear said:
One thing I noticed on the schematic is the lack of protection on Q4/5 gates. I know many of us don’t like zeners there but being a passive devise as long as the voltage is not exceeding the zener rating it does not intrude on the signal.

First of thank you so much. I have been having a lot of fun with this project. Great designs naturally inspire interesting layouts. :)

This is my first ever Pass design, and yes even my first ever FET design, so I am not sure how to implement what you are asking for as far as the Q4/5 gate protection zeners. Let me take a stab at it.

A quick description would be very helpful.

Cheers! :drink:
Russ

New improved safer version. :)

Here you go. I actually like this much better! :)

Cheers!:drink:<---Guinness
Russ

Attachments

• pre.png
    pre.png
    45.4 KB · Views: 1,404
Originally posted by Russ White
Balanced, but I believe you should be able to tie In- and GND together and use it single ended. I will defer to the experts though for the final answer.

Exactly correct. In fact, you can run single ended in to single ended out if you attach both the -in and -out to ground. If anyone is interested, I put together an arrangement that allows me to switch between SE and Bal inputs and outputs from the front panel in my old CC-CCS-X-BZLS thread. This circuit is very, very flexible, part of the reason I like it so much.

Cheers, Terry

metalman said:

Exactly correct. In fact, you can run single ended in to single ended out if you attach both the -in and -out to ground. If anyone is interested, I put together an arrangement that allows me to switch between SE and Bal inputs and outputs from the front panel in my old CC-CCS-X-BZLS thread. This circuit is very, very flexible, part of the reason I like it so much.

Cheers, Terry

Ya i like it.. ill have to build one so i can hear the change in sound from my tube pre-amp to this pass labs pre-amp.