My Second Tannoy Autograph enclosures

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Scott,
Pass' horn 50sqft and 42Hz arrive at wavelength = Pi*D
The usual definition for the mouth area for a horn.

It would have been much easier for all readers to have said that a hybrid is when the (circular) mouth circumference<Wavelength.

It would have saved a lot of posting and searching!

Presumably when the hybrid definition applies then Martin J. King's quarter wave modelling provides a good prediction of the truncated horn. Is this the case?

AndrewT said:
It would have been much easier for all readers to have said that a hybrid is when the (circular) mouth circumference<Wavelength.

My apologies. I thought I said as much when I noted a couple of pages back that if a cabinet was smaller than the theoretical ideal, it has to rely increasingly on QW action to support the lowest frequencies. My usual inability to say anything useful or coherent I fear. I'll shut up now.

After the necessary delay because of the festivities here's a model of the modded "square" Autograph, at a 1:3 scale.
Note that a comparable downsized Autograph would be about 1/5 shorter, measured to the upper plate. It has "ears" and it reminds me Annubis , the egiptian god

my.php

My daughter's camera is bad functioning, sorry. I used "paint" to mark the borders.
(Oh! some borders are missing :( )

I hope you note that lateral "horns" are not straight but have a gentle curve.

I remind you the dimensions for a 2:3 replica (Good for the AN super10).

Eight to the top plate: 115cm.
Eight of the mouths: 140cm.
Width: 87cm.

I hope you like it,
M

PS: happy new year to all full-rangers and speaker builders in general :)

Did a short listening sesion last night (if I may call it that way; mono) and the frequencies seem to be well balanced, not corner mounted.

The 2.5GBP transducer (4.5") has sweet midrange and highs. Bass is obviously not deep but expands well and is very fast like the other enclosure's. The soundstage is very big (considering the size), like happens with the real Autograph's.
Not a "wall of sound" yet, though. :D
I'll make the other unit...

Hi AndrewT,
Must I make a bigger horn?
(see above )

Cheers,
M

The pic is the 1:3 version.
I've never made a vented box for that 4.5" :D
Transducer is braking-in, he, he. The only thing that I can tell by now is that the sound jumps out at me, very fast and with respectable armonic content, wich makes an enjoyable experience ("rubyconed" My-reference amp)

Dimensions in cm, for the 2:3 sized version:
Throat's CSA= 422cm2
Rear Horn length= 2.1m
Mouth's CSA: 6160cm2.

The form of the rear horn is like posted before.

Bye,
M

The little "square" Autograph is sounding good. I promised them for my 13 years old daughter to avoid recriminations :D

Robust sound, robust voices even standing off the walls. I think the 2:3 version will have significantly more bass than the Autograph. This enclosure has some unused space left under the front horn so I am making the following variation:

my.php

You can see, partially erased, the original marks for the "square" Autograph. Now, in orange is painted the central part of the rear horn whose length is now greatly increased with "vertical" foldings, wich reach up to 140cm height for a 2:3 sized version; follow the arrows ;)
In red is shown the lateral foldings of the rear horn, wich now will be around 180cm tall (for a 2:3 version) at the mouth! :cool: That way, the transducer will be at the middle of the box. The drawing escapes from the paper...
The green arrow represents the soundwave passing to the lateral foldings of the rear horn.

Bass must be frightening :D
Mouth area: 180cm *46cm

How do you like it?

Bye,
M
"WAF world recordman"

Official Court Jester
Joined 2003
Paid Member
maxlorenz said:
The little "square" Autograph is sounding good.................................................
"WAF world recordman"

:worship:

all we need now is 1:1 plans..............every sort of it,just to have clue how this is made

it's easy for you,counting on last period you mess with it.....dreamin' , drawin' , cuttin' , gluin'....................

:worship:

Hi ZenMod :)
Thanks for the interest and support.
Will these be good for toob amp? :clown:

I promise plans for the first "square" version. This new one, that can be named "refrigerator" meanwhile, will need more time as I am preparing for summer vacations :cool:

Hi AndrewT,
Yes, the missing part would be the Spock ears, but these ears can be conceiled with an upper front panel like I will show...
Keep in mind that these are quick drawings of an idea that came to mind (while awake :D )
I'll try to make it easier with some diagrams.

A transparency of the front view. Here use imagination...

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
[/URL][/IMG]

This is how the speaker should look:

my.php

Colors aren't very good but you get a taste of it :)

With a front exiting mouth, meaning two vertical folds, first towards the back (to 1400mm) and second towards the front (to 1800mm).

Not quite. I have to project a suitable horn expansion but I guess first folding will end at the rear panel at around 85cm, then to the mouth at 180cm.

I hope you like it :)

Cheers,
M

Hi,
Few days ago I listened to the "fridge" in the 1.3 scale (with respect to full sized Autograph). I haven't time to build the front horn and it was a "quick and dirthy" model. The result is very promising. I has an unbelievable (for transducer's size) bass and ample, robust overall sound. Listening was made with one "Spocked ear square Autog" and the present model. In fact I believe that any one owning a good quality 5" transducer should consider this enclosure for experimenting. I think I can make the final part of the rear horn wider (last 24 cm), to get even deeper bass...

my.php

Rear folded horn, first part...

my.php

"Fridge" building (heigt is 90cm)

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
[/URL][/IMG]

Upper view of rear horn.

Here is the "quick and dirthy" uncompleted "fridge".
Note that I listened not corner placed, wich is very promising on final, stereo, bass output.
I didn't thought before that a tinny 4,5" driver could produce full-range, enjoyable and satisfactory sound...I will study good small quality drivers better. There's balance and homogenity to the whole sound.

[/URL][/IMG]

It looks uggly, but hey! I did it on 3 or 4 days only!

[/URL][/IMG]

Compare the modded , 1:3 downscaled versions to the 2:3 Autograph.
More news when I return from the beach :cool:

Bye,
M

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.