• WARNING: Tube/Valve amplifiers use potentially LETHAL HIGH VOLTAGES.
    Building, troubleshooting and testing of these amplifiers should only be
    performed by someone who is thoroughly familiar with
    the safety precautions around high voltages.

My first tube Amplifier VT4C DIY record

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Aster,
OK I understand but you have to know that running maximum
for any tube give it a short life as you are using NOS.If you are not worried
about cost then carry on and experiment.:) So the sound? singa

Hi:
Mid~hi-freq response close 300B have clear body line and detail.
That's typical SE sound type and don't like Push-pull Amplifier model.
If listen man vocal .......There are just got different taste in tweeter( over 7k~11K).
Sound density close 300B.
Sound field of the deep carved VT-4C bigger than 300B.
Low-Freq. response VT-4C got vigorous tone ,scale bigger than 300B.
ASter

Mr211's Blog - Yahoo!?????--

Last edited:
Hi Aster,
Thank you for the sound impression but I know it's the lunar new
year so "xin nian kwai ler" (happy lunar new year).Must be busy with the
celebrations.Relax and after a few days do some serious listening and please
report when you are not preoccupied with the eating and drinking.:D
singa.

Hi Singa:
I designed to setup anode voltage in 1250V.
???[/URL]--

hi
speaker db is 89 .....but this is my frinds 211 diy . he ordered this speaker to dealer .after the order speaker ...he started to find nice se amp for his new speaker . .so we made simple aluminum chassis for mono block 211 .he blive just the singel in out put ......no parallel and no push pull. .no need to expensive nos 211 ...just run shuguang 211 tube in 1250 v .

Hi Aster,
Thank you for the sound impression but I know it's the lunar new
year so "xin nian kwai ler" (happy lunar new year).Must be busy with the
celebrations.Relax and after a few days do some serious listening and please
report when you are not preoccupied with the eating and drinking.:D
singa.

Hi Singa:
happy lunar new year! Singapore have this lunar new year too ?
Music ...That's a daily habit for audio gear fans.

ASter

hi
speaker db is 89 .....but this is my frinds 211 diy . he ordered this speaker to dealer .after the order speaker ...he started to find nice se amp for his new speaker . .so we made simple aluminum chassis for mono block 211 .he blive just the singel in out put ......no parallel and no push pull. .no need to expensive nos 211 ...just run shuguang 211 tube in 1250 v .

Hi:
Thanks your reply.
Got it.
Aster

Hi Singa:
happy lunar new year! Singapore have this lunar new year too ?
Music ...That's a daily habit for audio gear fans.

Hi Aster,
You don't watch or read the news do you?:) Yes there are ethnic
chinese here (we are multi racial and multi cultural) and our national servicemen used to train in Taiwan in the 70s until America recognised the one China policy.Maybe you are too young.:D Now we train in the US (airforce,advanced tactics with their national air guard),New Zealand and Australia (army and basic flight training).Our island is too small for realistic large scale maneuvres but we don't advertise or boast ,as our leaders say ,we are small but we pack a punch heavier than our size. I'm already saying too much as the forum rules say no politics only audio allowed.:D My paternal grandparents came from guang dong I think. singa

Last edited:
Toy11 VT4C 211AMP -5 ....Check different speaker
Images-8.JPG
VT4C amplifier connet Full range speaker (Diy too).
Test sound quality.... feel not good.

Images-7.JPG
VT4C amplifier connet 3-way speaker (Diy too under check crossover).
Test sound quality.... feel better.

Mr211's Blog
Mr211's Blog - Yahoo!?????

Hi;
I am building 845 monoblocks; 800 volt supply. Using peter Millets Hi Gm pentode design [ 6ag7} and screen driven 5881. this driver can really give great dynamics even with 845. After listening to commercial 300b ampsm {not my own} with 6sn7 drivers and no dynamics just a sleepy sound this driver really works. very easy to make as the 5881 runs at 800volts the same as 845 and the 6AG7 at 400; i used a tube regulator. I have 100db horns so 15watts is plenty.
Phil

Hi;
I am building 845 monoblocks; 800 volt supply. Using peter Millets Hi Gm pentode design [ 6ag7} and screen driven 5881. this driver can really give great dynamics even with 845. After listening to commercial 300b ampsm {not my own} with 6sn7 drivers and no dynamics just a sleepy sound this driver really works. very easy to make as the 5881 runs at 800volts the same as 845 and the 6AG7 at 400; i used a tube regulator. I have 100db horns so 15watts is plenty.
Phil

Hi Multi:
Few speaker could make it about 100db ....good speaker.
Altec system (Horn with driver) I guess right?
I Diy a 3 way Speaker system about 100db too..
Combination is Utha 15'' Alnico 5 MAg.+Altec 288C (with DIY Horn) +JBL 2405H +DIY crossover ......about 100db.

ASter

Yes; I have Altek 15inch bass with Dr Edgars wooden mid range horn and Le-Son tweeters. the Alteks are in Australian designed horns.Also have another horn system using Australian made Etone speakers and Dr Edgars wooden Mid Range. I mostly use push pull amps using 811A, 809, 6550,
I am modifying 813SE amp from china worst sound i ever heard; to Peter Millets design. { Without the computer power supply}
Phil

Yes; I have Altek 15inch bass with Dr Edgars wooden mid range horn and Le-Son tweeters. the Alteks are in Australian designed horns.Also have another horn system using Australian made Etone speakers and Dr Edgars wooden Mid Range. I mostly use push pull amps using 811A, 809, 6550,
I am modifying 813SE amp from china worst sound i ever heard; to Peter Millets design. { Without the computer power supply}
Phil

Hi:
According my experience Altec each driver model sensitivity is over 115dB.
It is direct boardcasting feature must take sound expand ability.
Or your got long distance to listen music.

I diy a Horn speaker with cheap diy horn too.
Yr could take a look in my blog.

Which speaker your like?
High sensitivity speaker will effect yr choice?

I had ever Diy 3 ways speaker spec. as below...
Scan D2905/9900+Vifa D75mx-41-08+Sacn 25W8565-01 10''
Freqquency 2k~30k/500~2k/19~500 hz 89dB
But I still like high sensitivity speaker.

Yr say....813SE amp from china worst sound i ever heard.
That's make my query.
My personal like SE Amp. more than PP Amp.

Aster

Toy11 VT4C 211AMP -6 ....Change output transformer
Images-0.jpg
211 Amp. take off old output transformer and prepare assemble new output transformer.

Images-1.jpg
Put two output transformer togother.
Left side is Look-T OTP and Right side is Lite OTP from China.

Images-2.jpg
My friend's hand make transformer thickness is more large.
He got over 15 years Tube amplifier experience and that's
from Transformer to Tube amplifire circuit design.
211?845?????? - LOOK-T ????? - Yahoo!?????

Images-3.jpg
Find a suitable box and hand make an home give for transformer.
This for Hi-pass across over (over 7Khz) change impedance to fit Plasma tweeter input.
Because Lite transformer got poor performance in low frequency.

Images-4.jpg
Replace output transformer and verify high voltage operate function ok.
The sound feeling ....sound filed of the deep carved and
VT4C Low freq. (<1khz) have clear body line .

Aster

The "Soundtrack" 813 Se amp from china turned out to be a disaster. I ordered a 240 volt unit but they sent a 120 volt version. I never trust any thing From China; so I tested it on 120; luckily. The sound is very bad!! The makers refused to supply a circuit; claimed I would copy it and sell amplifiers. I would think Soundtrack have copied P Millets design for a 813 amp but added several more stages as it has a hi Gm driver. P Millets design has one High GM pentode driver only. I have built 805,807, 809,845,and 813 SE amps and even 300b, but the 300B tubes are so short lived{ converted the amps to Triode 6550's}. I think the 300B would sound great with a Hi Gm driver.
I too have several non horn loaded speakers but the horns are so much better rarely use them.
Phil

The "Soundtrack" 813 Se amp from china turned out to be a disaster. I ordered a 240 volt unit but they sent a 120 volt version. I never trust any thing From China; so I tested it on 120; luckily. The sound is very bad!! The makers refused to supply a circuit; claimed I would copy it and sell amplifiers. I would think Soundtrack have copied P Millets design for a 813 amp but added several more stages as it has a hi Gm driver. P Millets design has one High GM pentode driver only. I have built 805,807, 809,845,and 813 SE amps and even 300b, but the 300B tubes are so short lived{ converted the amps to Triode 6550's}. I think the 300B would sound great with a Hi Gm driver.
I too have several non horn loaded speakers but the horns are so much better rarely use them.
Phil

hi:
So these SE Amplifier the 300B SE amplifier is best choice for sound performace?

Aster

I have made several 300B amps.
I prefer 845, 811a, 813,kt88, both Se and PP compared to any 300B.
I think the KT88 SE outperforms 300B and the tubes are cheaper last much longer, easier to drive.
I prefer realistic sound with good dynamics, most designs for 300b amps use drivers 6SN7's for instance that can not drive the tubes properly anyway. Maybe a High GM pentode driver would improve the sound
I can't afford 300b tubes .
Phil

Administrator
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Good 300B tubes aren't cheap and in the past were not made in China either.

I have been using JJ 300B for 10yrs now, and have two pairs purchased in 2001 - both pairs now have well in excess of 5000 hrs of use. No problems so far. I did however have a lot of problems with several other brands.

All of my 300B designs whether SE or PP run in fixed bias.. Of the various types I have worked with I would rank the 300B and the 45 at the top of my list of favorite power tubes. High GM triodes and pentodes do make great drivers for these tubes IMLE..

I have made several 300B amps.
I prefer 845, 811a, 813,kt88, both Se and PP compared to any 300B.
I think the KT88 SE outperforms 300B and the tubes are cheaper last much longer, easier to drive.
I prefer realistic sound with good dynamics, most designs for 300b amps use drivers 6SN7's for instance that can not drive the tubes properly anyway. Maybe a High GM pentode driver would improve the sound
I can't afford 300b tubes .
Phil

I have made 300B Amplifier too.
6C45pi drive 300B.
300 B+ about 410V and still under tuning sound color.

images-1.JPG

Stand alone high voltage.
Aster

Last edited:
Good 300B tubes aren't cheap and in the past were not made in China either.

I have been using JJ 300B for 10yrs now, and have two pairs purchased in 2001 - both pairs now have well in excess of 5000 hrs of use. No problems so far. I did however have a lot of problems with several other brands.

All of my 300B designs whether SE or PP run in fixed bias.. Of the various types I have worked with I would rank the 300B and the 45 at the top of my list of favorite power tubes. High GM triodes and pentodes do make great drivers for these tubes IMLE..

Hi:
I usually tuning sound color between 211 and 300B to make a bench-mark.
That's different scale of Sound field.
I like 300b a little bit more than 211.
300b-2.JPG

My final selection China 300b because cheap.
I have been using this 300b about 4 years now.

Aster
http://tw.myblog.yahoo.com/jw!9frLFy6fAkV0gBy_oZT_geG5fC24WQ--

Share my experience in building of 211SE

I used 3 stages to drive 211 before and it sounds very suck !!

Later I decided to use only totally two stages with interstage coupling and it sounds good. But the insterstage must be very high quality. I tried Lundahl's amorphous and Bartolucci and even Tango NC-14, the best is Bartolucci !!

I learnt a lesson that never using amorphous in SE !!!

Because of the easy driving voltage of 211, I believe that a total of 2 stages of a 211SE amp is enough and using interstage is the best selection but expensive.

I have a suggestion for your circuit:

Using plate choke and direct coupling instead of RC coupling.

Your driver tube 6C45 has very low ra with high gm and also easy to drive, using plate choke can swing out huge voltage and less distortion than RC coupling, even a plate choke is frequency dependent but still be good.

Using simple resistive direct coupling method (gain will be attenuated but still can drive 211 grazy !) and fixed bias.

I think this the least cost effective method even an additional negative power supply needed to cater for the resistive direct coupling.

Try it and will surprise you.

Tim

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.