My DIY WTL Tonearm

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
found this at a local model shop

Dr. Liquid - Silicon Differential Oil - 100000 cps
Product code: 281000040
£ 3.99 - 50ml bottle.

Obviously theirs differences in how the information is disseminated by one distributor / manufacture or from one country to another i.e. CPS / cSt

looks like were on the right track now....

100,000 cSt is certainly a much better viscosity than the 10,000 cSt I tried before. Now the needle does not skip and the control and volume of the bass is much enhanced. Anti-Skating force seems to be all but unnecessary. 10,000 was far too "runny" giving little control over the cartridge. I am much happier with the performance now. Oddly, I have just noticed on the Core-RC fluid container there is no , - the cSt is just quoted as 100000.

Viscosity units:
cps means centiPoise, but should be abbreviated as cP, see Poise - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
cSt means centiStokes, see Viscosity - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

They are different units and measure different quantities (dyne-seconds per square centimeter vs square cm per second), however note that water at 20C has a viscosity of 1.0020 cP, or ~1cSt, so the terms are often used interchangeably.

Also see http://www.hydramotion.com/pdf/Website_Viscosity_Units_V2.pdf :
"One stokes is equal to the viscosity in poise divided by the density of the fluid in g cm–3."

What I like about this forum is this:
1. There is a wealth of expertise that exceeds my O-Level in Physics and at which I can only wonder and pick up the odd snippet of wisdom
2. There is also enough for the humble DIYer like myself to be able to sit here in front of my system that comprises an almost complete home-made turntable and arm, an old Moth preamp, secondhand Musical Fidelity power amps and a set of kit built LS3/5As with home-made Rogers bass units and be supremely happy listening to a vinyl of Tangerine Dream's Underwater Sunlight which is drilled off centre, but still sounds fantastic.
Apologies for the eulogy!

100,000 cSt is certainly a much better viscosity than the 10,000 cSt I tried before. Now the needle does not skip and the control and volume of the bass is much enhanced. Anti-Skating force seems to be all but unnecessary. 10,000 was far too "runny" giving little control over the cartridge. I am much happier with the performance now. Oddly, I have just noticed on the Core-RC fluid container there is no , - the cSt is just quoted as 100000.

mbray, That is grand! There are many variations of arm wands, cartridges, materials etc you can investigate now. Your basic WTA is there. What I would like to see someone building WTAs do is to mount a magnet in the center of the disk and a steel disk, screw head, anything the magnet can be atracted to on center in the cup. Not touching the magnet. The object would be to establish a more fixed axis of rotation for the arm. I think this could be very beneficial. We would not be using 2 magnets or even the same theory of operation used by the Schroeder arms so would not be infringing his patents. If you or any other WTA builder decides to try this, please let me know how it turns out?
Rgds,
BillG

mbray, That is grand! What I would like to see someone building WTAs do is to mount a magnet in the center of the disk and a steel disk, screw head, anything the magnet can be atracted to on center in the cup. Not touching the magnet. The object would be to establish a more fixed axis of rotation for the arm. I think this could be very beneficial. We would not be using 2 magnets or even the same theory of operation used by the Schroeder arms so would not be infringing his patents. ,
BillG

Herr Schroeder is a member here, and has stated in several posts on this site that he does not consider DIYers copying his designs as an infringement of his patents...(he only has a problem with commercial products). Indeed when people here have started threads on Schroeder clones he even posts advice to help them.....

mbray7.
Great news on the silicon front, I just knew their was a good reason to pose the question. Have now ordered some 100000000000000000000 how many zeros !...
Your system is quite similar to mine. i.e. musical fidelities & ls35/a, have you heard them with a Decca in the front of the chain ?
I always knew they were special having heard some, decades ago at a show, with £27,000 worth of valve amps & a very expensive deck etc ( can't recall the makers ) but up until now never has the music sounded so alive, vibrant & all sorts of other superlatives as with the Decca Blue, which is going to be upgraded to a Decca SG, some say "The best cart in the world"......... & all this on a LP12! gosh whatever next

Koyaanisqatsi... wasn't that a film made in the 80 or 90s & had a rather good sound track?
Or am i going slightly mad.....

I have not damped the tube at all (yet!) - it seems to work just fine without for now.
I have not bothered grounding the arm (although I set up the turntable with all the wires in place if needed). Again, no hum.
I mounted the sockets on an aluminium plate, using insulation washers. Oddly, the sockets came from Maplin, incorrectly assembled, with the ground tag the wrong side of the insulation washer.
Best of luck with the construction - it is well worth while!

Latest Incarnation

Here are pictures of my latest version. It's mounted on a Garrard 401 with slate plinth. I'm really very pleased with the results-not only aesthetically but also sound-wise. This is my pre-production model.
Regards
Chris

Attachments

• Tonearm 160.jpg
    Tonearm 160.jpg
    658.6 KB · Views: 702
  • Tonearm 166.jpg
    Tonearm 166.jpg
    604.3 KB · Views: 670
More pics of my arm!

Here are more pictures of my arm which hopefully show up some of the design features. I've been testing it out this week. Sound quality is of the highest standard-details that previous arms only hinted at come through loud and clear now. Additionally people often comment that the 'technical' performance of arms appearing on this site is often absent. I can happily report that it sails through every band of HFS75 with no break-up whatsoever. I've never achieved this level of performance previously.
Regards
Chris

Attachments

• NEW 008.jpg
    NEW 008.jpg
    538.8 KB · Views: 598
  • NEW 009.jpg
    NEW 009.jpg
    601.6 KB · Views: 574
  • NEW 010.JPG
    NEW 010.JPG
    900.3 KB · Views: 544
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.