mutting transistors on the output of Marantz cd40 help!!!

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Hi Andrew,

You are right on my board for SAA7220 im using more capacitors but with smaller values, for example instead of 4700uF/63V i have 2 x 2200uF/35V in parallel, also for those of 470uF im using 2x220uF from Vishay and Elna Silmic II. About 2 diodes, the thitrd one is from the bottom side of the board because i couldnt place it because of heatsink. Its a testing board. When i will make one for you ill make for my self also. Dont worry the list of the parts ive sent to you is ok.
Regards

Thats great - understood.

I had a few glasses of ' bon vin rouge ' - whilst studying the boards I was comparing to your list of components.
Thanks for clearing that up - now I can finish the bottle :D

My heatsink for BD139's is a machined and polished 125 mm x 45 mm x 20 mm piece of aluminium which will fit perfectly inside the case.

Looking at the pics on your main board I can see a regulator laid flat next to the transport - what is this dong and what type of reg is it ?
Also if the circuit board you are sending works on SAA7220 can it be used on the 7310 and any chip that needs a good +5 volt feed ?

Can you PM me your e mail address - I have so many questions :)

Thanks

Andrew

Thats great - understood.

I had a few glasses of ' bon vin rouge ' - whilst studying the boards I was comparing to your list of components.
Thanks for clearing that up - now I can finish the bottle :D

My heatsink for BD139's is a machined and polished 125 mm x 45 mm x 20 mm piece of aluminium which will fit perfectly inside the case.

Looking at the pics on your main board I can see a regulator laid flat next to the transport - what is this dong and what type of reg is it ?
Also if the circuit board you are sending works on SAA7220 can it be used on the 7310 and any chip that needs a good +5 volt feed ?

Can you PM me your e mail address - I have so many questions :)

Thanks

Andrew

Hi

Stay far from vine durring soldering and connecting to SAA7220 ;)

If i understood well your heatsink can be mounted out of board (i mean to the end of board) if that is the case i can start design it.

There are two regulators, you cant see the second one because its under the board for SAA7220. Honestly i have to look at schematic to see what they are for. I cant tell you at the moment, but i promisse ill know at the evening and ill tell you. I was just putting the reg's wherever it was necessary. Reg's are AN78XX, positive cheap reg's. Ill change them when ill have more time.
About using PSU for SAA7220 (+5V) to other chips, as i said, i dont have such experience. Im using it just for SAA7220. When you will turn it on the voltage goes kind of slowely to 5V (2 seconds maybe), for SAA7220 its not a problem but im not sure about other chips. Just use it for SAA7220 and all will be fine. The same PSU (the second board mounted verticaly) im using for TDA1541 but with separate trafo and all is fine.
Just use another PSU for SAA7310, it result with better sound for sure. Or, for now wait please because i should try it first, to see if this PSU (SAA7220) will be fine for SAA7310 also. For that purpose i should make another board for me, it will take some time.

Regards
Goran

The more regs the better. I have separate low noise regs for 7220, 7210, HF amp and another for the associated ram.

It's also worth separating as many 5v feeds as you can with STD cheap 78xx regs. This way you make many small "noise domains" instead of one big one. The CPU can be especially noisy and worth isolating.

Its true, but i prefer a discrete power supplies instead of regs. Also separated trafos for different chips makes huge improvements.

Indeed, but its better to replace with 78xx until you can afford to replace with better PSU's and regulation.

In my player, I have a total of 16 windings all into Hexfred rectifiers. Smoothers are a mix of Audio Upgrades SI 22,000uF very low ESR and some cap banks of 15 x 1700uF rubycons. I have a total of 19 discrete low noise regs, 9 Audio Upgrades SPowers, 4 Salas shunt regs, 2 Audiocom Q-Powers and 3 Super Regs and 1 simple opamp feedback reg. All local decoupleing is a mix of BG std, BG FK, Rubycon ZA and OsCon SEPC. Yes I agree Multiple PSU's and decent regs is the way to go!!

Just added up 240,000uF of smoothers too!!!

047.jpg

046.jpg

045.jpg

044.jpg

043.jpg

Last edited:
Very impressive work UV101, congratulations. We can learn a lot from you.
All those BG's must cost you a fortune.
In my case, the biggest improvement gaves me the tweaking of transport mechanism. I have CDM 4/19 mounted on a layers of metal and a rubber between them. But in the future ill put it in to the peace of drilled heavy stone, or that material for covering the ..hmmmm graves ( i dont know the english word for that material). Also, the electronics boards will be installed in a nice wooden case, with heavy bottom and top cover plates.

Again, very nice tweaked player you have.

Bloody hell !
You must be a Banker and have been spending your bonus ?
That looks amazing - must sound amazing and makes mine look like a giant pile of cr.. :D
What an inspiration...

Just brilliant:drool:

Hi, no not a banker ;) And thanks for your comments :) I have sort of become obsessed!!! These mods have taken place a little at a time over 2 1/2 years on this player. Some of the components were transferred from previous players. I did a very good deal with Brent from audio upgrade / fidelity audio and now I get my parts a little cheaper. I also use RS, Farnell, mouser for
Parts in the UK and parts connexion in canada for the BG's and some other nice resistors when required. Most of the crucial signal path through the HF amp
Has been replaced by a mix of silvered mica, oscon and decent non inductive resistors. Some of the boutique regs were 2nd hand and some were end of life. All have been slightly "improved!!" lol the Audio Upgrades parts are competitively priced and excellent quality.

Basically I've spent more than I budgeted on replacing the player with a new model at the start but I've ended up with something quite special. I cannot even guess what this might equate to sonically in the retail market. It's detailed, open, airey, full and massively dynamic. It is very analogue sounding as the tda is but now it has the detail and drive of a more more modern player to go with that analogue esq signature. I am very happy (although there are still things to do!!)

Please don't knock your own player!! Apply mods as you can afford and you player will get better and better. These tda players are something very special indeed. There is nothing wrong with players running CDM 4 transports. Nearly everything i've done here translates onto them! I was very impressed with the re housed player of GoranB at the start. It just goes to show what can be achieved!

Very impressive work UV101, congratulations. We can learn a lot from you.
All those BG's must cost you a fortune.
In my case, the biggest improvement gaves me the tweaking of transport mechanism. I have CDM 4/19 mounted on a layers of metal and a rubber between them. But in the future ill put it in to the peace of drilled heavy stone, or that material for covering the ..hmmmm graves ( i dont know the english word for that material). Also, the electronics boards will be installed in a nice wooden case, with heavy bottom and top cover plates.

Again, very nice tweaked player you have.

Only a few black gates for local decoupling in crucial areas.

I very much like your approach to the transport. The cdm4 is a great mech I've no doubt that it's very good indeed ;)

Only a few black gates for local decoupling in crucial areas.

I very much like your approach to the transport. The cdm4 is a great mech I've no doubt that it's very good indeed ;)

Thanks,

My intention is to tweak cheap players like CD40 i have at the moment, and im doing it on my way. Im wakeing up at the early mornings with new ideas every day. For me the point is to enjoy tweaking, sometimes there are bad tweaks also, but im learning from my mistakes.
The power supply shematic sended by member Danico improved the sound of my player a lot. Many thanks to him.
I would suggest you to try the final-ultimate tweak for your incredable player, tweak the transport. Took it out from those plastic case, im sure you will know how to improve it.

Regards
Goran

To Danico and Andrew,

Your boards For the SAA7220 are almost finished. Dimensions - 90mm x 65 mm. There is a lot free space between parts because i didnt knew the dimension of caps you want to use.
Danico, your heatsinks will not feet on the PCB, please use some vertical positioned heatsink for the both of BD139. The PCB for TDA 1541 will be finished in a few days. You will receive the both PCB soon.

Regards
Goran

To Danico and Andrew,

Your boards For the SAA7220 are almost finished. Dimensions - 90mm x 65 mm. There is a lot free space between parts because i didnt knew the dimension of caps you want to use.
Danico, your heatsinks will not feet on the PCB, please use some vertical positioned heatsink for the both of BD139. The PCB for TDA 1541 will be finished in a few days. You will receive the both PCB soon.

Regards
Goran

OK. I will get a proper heatsink.
Thanks for your hard work and sharing your boards with us.

Regards
Danico

Goran - thank you very much.

Many items are here for the build already - just a few caps and some resistors to complete. The board size is perfect and will fit very nicely at the back where my cheap regs are bolted at the moment - as you've seen.
The teddy regs are also done so it's just a case of connecting them all at the same time - it will be a good jump in performance I'm sure.

Is the 20 volt traffo the minimum or would 18 or 15 volts work ?

Andrew

OK. I will get a proper heatsink.
Thanks for your hard work and sharing your boards with us.

Regards
Danico

You are very welcomed Danico.
In your case (if you really want) i will design a board for saa7220 whit heatsinks you have, but i was thinking that it will take too much place on the board to install your type of heatsinks. If that is not a problem with you i could run some software and make a nice board for you.

Goran, the beauty of the CD960 and CD94 is that the case is completely cast! No plastic in sight. I have a CD50 that I used for testing I2S mods. I would like to rehouse this player and convert to a top loader just for my own amusement.

Do you have any pictures of the boards you are producing? I am very interested.

I have never seen an CD960 or CD94 in my life :), but I remember i was looking the pictures of those players at net long time ago and there are some coper plates..if i remember well....
For sure they are better builded players then cd 40/50/60.
According my experience.. the implementing a wooden case can improve the sound, I even noticed that without bottom and top cover plates my cd40 sounds much better in a nusty wodden case i have for now. But as I mentioned before its just a testing project, when ill be satisfied with sound of my player ill make a nice case for it.
About boards, i can show you at the moment just a picture of testing board for TDA1541, from the top side. For the coper side i was not using a software, i was just drawing the traces using the oil marker.
But for the boards for Danico and Andrew i decided to use a software, when they will be finished ill post the pictures.

Attachments

• board for tda1541.JPG
    board for tda1541.JPG
    35.8 KB · Views: 100
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.