Musings on amp design... a thread split

The first time I come across such rudeness at every step when communicating on the forum. They compare me to "fish in a pan":
Musings on amp design... a thread split.
… you spin like a fish in a frying pan

then with "a hare jumping over bumps":
… you are jumping from side to side like a hare over bumps

then with a "weather vane on the roof":
… you are spinning like a weather vane on the roof

All kinds of your fagos conjectures, you ascribe to me and savor them in all their glory in the form of an endless flood. It is sad that the local Gurus do not notice this, and if they do, they either do not comment on you, or take your side that they are not painted.
As for “chewing and serving you on a platter” so that you can swallow the food, then this time has passed, you are already a “grown-up boy”, even imagining yourself to be a “Guru”. So then boil yourself in your own juice. To study the issue, I gave links to a number of literature, including a patent SU90158.

Joined 2019
Paid Member
Well, Aleksander Petrov, you have serious problem of English language comprehension. That could be partial reason than no one is able to conduct meaningful discussion with you.

You are not compared to fish, hare or weather wane!
Your behavior in discussion is compared to such picturesque examples.

On the other hand, you have no problem to call member of this forum stupid, fools, that nobody knows anything about audio, that participants intellect is not enough to understand your simple ideas, calling engineers with stellar careers and achievement beginners etc. Your incredible rudeness goes on and on.

And you have no shame to complain. Absolutely unbelievable.

In the test, I specifically applied a 4th order filter to better clean the signal from high-frequency products. In this case, the phase distortion of this filter does not affect the operation of the amplifier under test in any way, since the filter is located outside the amplifier.

I'm still waiting for the explanation of the setup that was used, no amplifier was mentioned before, now there is one? This is unclear.

You can upload microcap file in zip format, I'll try it.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Peufeu asked a simple question:

OK so you're interpreting the phase shift of the filter as distortion.

So you would expect that a simple yes or no would be a clear answer. But Petr is unable to provide any clear answer, avoiding an answer. His reply:

In the test, I specifically applied a 4th order filter to better clean the signal from high-frequency products. In this case, the phase distortion of this filter does not affect the operation of the amplifier under test in any way, since the filter is located outside the amplifier.

So, if you still have any hopes of a meaningful discussion with him, let it go.
And Hans, I applaud your efforts, to do tests in your own time, to explain stuff to Petr, but it's pearls before swine.

Jan

Last edited:
There is a double standard: someone can laugh while stocking up on popcorn at my posts and compare me to a pig ...

peufeu, here is a circuit with a filter, you will type the model yourself, if you cannot cope, colleagues who are not pigs here will help you.
It is pointless to continue further dialogue in this vein.

Attachments

• Nick_SCH&LF_Bessel_4-oder.png
    Nick_SCH&LF_Bessel_4-oder.png
    26.2 KB · Views: 176
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
and compare me to a pig ...

Wrong again, of course; I knew you would twist it.

LMGTFY: To cast pearls before swine definition and meaning | Collins English Dictionary

Definition of 'to cast pearls before swine'

PHRASE [VERB inflects]
If you say that someone is casting pearls before swine, you mean that they are wasting their time by offering something that is helpful or valuable to someone who does not appreciate or understand it.

Example: You do not value what should be valued, I see I was casting pearls before swine.

Jan

Last edited:
All kinds of your fagos conjectures, you ascribe to me and savor them in all their glory in the form of an endless flood. It is sad that the local Gurus do not notice this, and if they do, they either do not comment on you, or take your side that they are not painted.
As for “chewing and serving you on a platter” so that you can swallow the food, then this time has passed, you are already a “grown-up boy”, even imagining yourself to be a “Guru”. So then boil yourself in your own juice. To study the issue, I gave links to a number of literature, including a patent SU90158.
Am I attributing something to you? Check out post 704. There is your document, quotes are taken from it. Or is this not your document and I wrote it myself to discredit you? I started from your words and refuted them. If I have mistakes somewhere, then point them out and it will be a scientific discussion. And you don't need to provoke me, I don't consider myself a guru, but I have enough knowledge to see your mistakes. Your supposedly chewed food, to which you refer, was mostly of the same quality as your current arguments - half true, and half hasty and incorrect conclusions. And there is no need to try to develop this line, because otherwise I will be forced to prove the truth of my words and begin a detailed analysis of your "scientific works". I tried to gently hint at erroneous judgments to the best of my abilities and knowledge at that time, but with your character it is not so easy to do this without causing negative emotions on your part. But in the end, we came to this. At the same time, I have nothing personally against you, but on the contrary, you perceive all my words and actions as a personal insult and in each case try to find a negative component in everything. For what? Not enough drama in life?
Wrong again, of course; I knew you would twist it.

Definition of 'to cast pearls before swine'
There was no need to explain, Jan, in the Russian language this is also a well-known expression. When a person wants to find negative notes, he will find them and you will not do anything about it.

An interesting approach, Hans. However, I think this will not be convincing for petr_2009.

I agree, for that reason I have produced a new simulation to make things more clear.

In the first Image below, two distortion free amps are shown with their resp. 100% identical Gain vs frequency.
And as can also be seen, both have exactly the same GD at 10Khz, however one amp has a constant GD versus frequency up to 100Khz where the other one hasn't.

I have offered both amps a modulated 10Khz signal and also band limited noise around 10Khz, see the second image below.
Input V(InD) signals are visible in the upper part in teal.
As a next step I have subtracted these time corrected input signals V(InD) from the two output signals V(O1) and V(O2).
The difference signal with Amp2, the one having a constant GD is zero, while Amp1 shows a large signal difference for both input signals.

This is to show that in case of an Amp with varying GD, subtracting a single value tPD delayed output signal from the input signal or vice versa, produces a difference signal that has nothing to do with distortion and that "speed distortion" is just a non existing type of distortion.

Hopes this makes my point clear in a final attempt trying to convince Petr.

Hans

Attachments

• Delay5.jpg
    Delay5.jpg
    238.5 KB · Views: 173
  • Delay6.jpg
    Delay6.jpg
    775.6 KB · Views: 154
Fagos, Amp1 starts as a non inverting amp, while amp2 inverts right from the beginning.
However, I saw that I made an error in the used delay times.
See the first image below where both amps were offered a 10Khz signal in teal and then subtracted from, resp. added to the delayed input signal in red and blue.
Result for both is -60dB down, proving that the correct delays have been used.

With the correct delay times I ran the sim again with the modulated signal and the band limited noise, see second image.
Result is still that amp2 minus input is still zero, while amp1 is still showing a substantial difference signal.

Sorry for the previous inaccurate delay, but the outcome and the conclusions are no different as from before.

Hans

Attachments

• Delay7.jpg
    Delay7.jpg
    445.6 KB · Views: 145
  • Delay6.jpg
    Delay6.jpg
    750.2 KB · Views: 137
Disabled Account
Joined 2008
Fagos, Amp1 starts as a non inverting amp, while amp2 inverts right from the beginning.
However, I saw that I made an error in the used delay times.
See the first image below where both amps were offered a 10Khz signal in teal and then subtracted from, resp. added to the delayed input signal in red and blue.
Result for both is -60dB down, proving that the correct delays have been used.

With the correct delay times I ran the sim again with the modulated signal and the band limited noise, see second image.
Result is still that amp2 minus input is still zero, while amp1 is still showing a substantial difference signal.

Sorry for the previous inaccurate delay, but the outcome and the conclusions are no different as from before.

Hans

Hi Hans
And your point is?
BTW: Where do you get that delay from? Is it a normal phase shift?

S

Hans, I am trying to wrap my head around this. What is the basic cause of the difference voltage in the case of changing group delay? It that the phase shift between input and output signal changes not-constant with frequency?

Jan

Hi Jan,
That’s exactly what it is.
At 10Khz in&out have the same GD, say X and will be nulled after subtraction.
At a frequency lower or higher than 10Khz, say Z the amp will have a different GD say Y so when subtracting in &out, you will get sin(2pi*Z*t)-sin(2pi*Z*t+Phase(X-Y)) which will result in a new sine whose amplitude depends on the phase difference caused by X-Y for that frequency Z.
Hans

Last edited: