MUSES 72320 electronic volume

Joined 2009
Paid Member
The connections are correct. Note you can use any Nano pin for LATCH - it does not need to be SS, as you will have to drive it with digitalWrite() anyway. (SS is Slave Select and must be used if Nano is an SPI slave, but when it is a master, any pin can control the slave).

Last edited:
I just finished my Muses volume control using boards and Tiny controller chip from Meldano. My wire crimping skills from R/C airplanes came in handy, and the SMD soldering wasn't too bad. I dragged solder across the chip pins then soaked it up with braid and they soldered just fine. Installed it in my BA-3 and it sounds very nice. I put together a 15v regulator using advice from folks here, and power it off the BA-3 PS.

I added the IR receiver but not the digital display. One thing I can't figure out is how to program a remote. Can anyone assist with this? I tried to follow the instructions to no avail.

Thanks!

„ The controller can be taught to many common IR codes. Below the setup is described
1. Turn on supply voltage by pressing the encoder button
2. Release encoder button
3. Press button for "volume up" shortly on the remote control 4. Briefly press "volume down" button on the remote control 5. Briefly press the "mute" button on the remote control
In the case the 3 keys have been successfully detected, the controller will start as usual with the starting volume. The read codes will be stored permanently in the EEPROM.“

Point 1 means: Power on while pressing the encoder key ;)

„ The controller can be taught to many common IR codes. Below the setup is described
1. Turn on supply voltage by pressing the encoder button
2. Release encoder button
3. Press button for "volume up" shortly on the remote control 4. Briefly press "volume down" button on the remote control 5. Briefly press the "mute" button on the remote control
In the case the 3 keys have been successfully detected, the controller will start as usual with the starting volume. The read codes will be stored permanently in the EEPROM.“

Point 1 means: Power on while pressing the encoder key ;)

Thanks Meldano! I did hold the encoder down while powering on, but still no luck. I tried 2 different remotes.

OK I checked it over: there is 5v across pins 2 and 3 as expected. Pin 1 has continuity to pin 10 on the controller. Unfortunately the schematic I have is too blurry to read the fine print. Pins 2 and 3 have continuity to the correct sides of C6. It also measures 33K ohms across pins 1 and 3 as expected.

Is there a way to check the IR receiver to see if it's bad?

https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/427/tsop48-1766935.pdf

Attachments

• Untitled.jpg
    Untitled.jpg
    234.5 KB · Views: 561
Last edited:
Joined 2017
Paid Member
I just finished my Muses volume control using boards and Tiny controller chip from Meldano.

I put together a 15v regulator using advice from folks here, and power it off the BA-3 PS.

This sounds very good.
I'm still in my starting blocks, trying to figure out how to power my muses from my Mesmerize DCB1 (which was confirmed to be possible, but I'm far from being able to put things together on my own), so...

Would you mind to post a picture of your regulator, so that I might be able to catch up a bit?

Thanks! and take care!
david

This sounds very good.
I'm still in my starting blocks, trying to figure out how to power my muses from my Mesmerize DCB1 (which was confirmed to be possible, but I'm far from being able to put things together on my own), so...

Would you mind to post a picture of your regulator, so that I might be able to catch up a bit?

Thanks! and take care!
david

There are a couple methods described in this post. I used the 7815/7915 approach.

https://www.diyaudio.com/forums/pass-labs/258022-ba-3-preamp-build-guide-35.html#post6092414

The datasheet for the regulator gives you the cap values.
https://www.mouser.com/datasheet/2/308/MC79M00-D-1811438.pdf

Joined 2017
Paid Member
Balance control?

First of all, thanks, mcquaide for pointing me to the direction!

while I was looking around on the web, I saw a kit that has a "dual-use" encoder, for attenuation and balance-control...

I was thinking about balance-control myself, but would prefer to have it not in a push-double function, but on a separate knob...
feasible?

First of all, thanks, mcquaide for pointing me to the direction!

while I was looking around on the web, I saw a kit that has a "dual-use" encoder, for attenuation and balance-control...

I was thinking about balance-control myself, but would prefer to have it not in a push-double function, but on a separate knob...
feasible?

I'm not aware of a digital balance control kit.

Hi myleftear,

You only need to connect one more decoder to the microprocessor and you can use it to control the offset between the channels. The volume of the channels can be adjusted individually in Muses.
I prefer to control such things with the built-in button.
I don't like so many controls; I prefer to keep it puristic.