MUSES 72320 electronic volume

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I listened so far to burr brown, muses and maxim ...... and all the chips are different to ALPS blue .... this is the volume control in my normal PreAmp. And the chips are not better ..... from my perception.

Yes that is possible - preference is very personal.

I went away from mechanical contraptions to control level a long time ago. Bad tracking, noise, and everytime you change the setting it's a different contact quality. I prefer the perfect tracking, repeatable, everytime-the-same and very high transparency of the CS3310/3318 and the TI PGA's, which are roughly comparable.
My preference.

Jan

Yes that is possible - preference is very personal.

I went away from mechanical contraptions to control level a long time ago. Bad tracking, noise, and everytime you change the setting it's a different contact quality. I prefer the perfect tracking, repeatable, everytime-the-same and very high transparency of the CS3310/3318 and the TI PGA's, which are roughly comparable.
My preference.

Jan

Still a question of taste .... ????

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Still a question of taste .... ????

Yes, partly for sure. There are some objectively measurable advantages for solid state level control in terms of cleanliness, channel tracking and such, but if, what sometimes is called a 'clinical sound' is not your cup of tea you'd be daft to use them.

Edit: I have no experience with the Muses chip. I don't know whether it is a re-branded CS33xx or PGA or an independent development (unlikely but possible). Never listed to it or measured it.

jan

Last edited:
Muses 72320 kit from Japan

I purchased two 72320 kits with the MUSES01 opamps when I was in Tokyo two months ago intended to use them for separate L and R channels in my tube preamp. After assembly, I have to say this is possibly the best pot I ever had in this preamp - Blue Alps, DACT and Khozmo. The highs are crispy clear, the mid and low are with rich density, violin and vocals are singing in front of me. One can easily tune the sound by using different type of resistors on the output 33R. However, I have a problem.

Both pots work fine but one of them is generating a small "pop" from time to time. The sound is louder when volume increases. I swapped the opamps and there is no difference.

Can anyone tell me where to look at for this problem?

One more question. The kit uses + - 15V power supply and there is a 317 like regulator on the +ve rail to generate a +5V supply. There is a jumper for users to provide a separate +5V to the kit. Does anyone try it? How does it sound?

Thanks

Last edited:
MUSES72320

I purchased it as a kit and this is the circuit.

Attachments

• IMG_1247.JPG
    IMG_1247.JPG
    75.1 KB · Views: 1,586
There are 22uF bipolar coupling caps at both of the L and R channel input but no coupling caps at output. I've just soldered a 1uF bipolar at the output but the pops are still there but significantly smaller. Yet, my concern is one of the pots do not have this pop while the other has. Where to look at the possible fault?

I would put caps at the outputs as well. Otherwise, DC can go back into the MUSES from the amplifier you're using after it if it's not AC coupled.
Try something larger than 1uF and see if it helps.

I guess you tried swapping sides with the volume boards to see if the "pop" is isolated to one board or one side of the amplifier?

Datasheet doesn't tell us the thdn so I think this stuff is not so trustable.

I only want to repeat again:

For the MUSES we have received impressive specs figures from Stereophile, spiri (2x) and johncurtis.
The MUSES was auditioned from John Atkinson (Stereophile), spiri, Stefanoo, johncurtis and shoom.
Some of these people compared it in auditioning tests with best linear (resistor based) attenuators like DACT, Goldpoint and ELNA - the MUSES was always the winner.

Therefore: this chip is totally trustable! I wonder why you value it only for its specs....