MTM with TC9fd

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Thank you,

As i have the 4 TCFD9 drivers and about to mount on the boxes( which i have not glued pieces yet) was wondering if for nearfield listening position( 3 or 4 ft way) in my desk with subwoofer under my desk( to max 140 hz i beleive), .. if a tweeter is needed, or just toe them in to my listening position and if i should mount the drivers symmetrically on top of each other or non symmetrical as you suggest. i will be putting the cap between the lower and upper driver. should i make the while thing open or continue the bottom closed to have a bit of body or mid bass as i like rock too? should i put another cap before the first driver(?? value) to cut off lower frequencies to the both drivers in each speaker so they are more relaxed or go as original design, full range bottom driver, upper with the.20 uf cap? as i'm about to do this, might as well take your cues to improve the design for desktop application...Thanks again.:)

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Is tweeter needed? Well, that is up to you. Have you read my first post? Answer is right there. I built Nola and I did not like the result. Even you use cap on one TC9, still you got two drivers projecting heights...is it ok with you? Only you can know. For me that is big no-no. So I built MTM, hence this thread. You can built what I offer, as close as to what I described, or you can built Nola, that is up to you.

Thank you,

As i have the 4 TCFD9 drivers and about to mount on the boxes( which i have not glued pieces yet) was wondering if for nearfield listening position( 3 or 4 ft way) in my desk with subwoofer under my desk( to max 140 hz i beleive), .. if a tweeter is needed, or just toe them in to my listening position and if i should mount the drivers symmetrically on top of each other or non symmetrical as you suggest. i will be putting the cap between the lower and upper driver. should i make the while thing open or continue the bottom closed to have a bit of body or mid bass as i like rock too? should i put another cap before the first driver(?? value) to cut off lower frequencies to the both drivers in each speaker so they are more relaxed or go as original design, full range bottom driver, upper with the.20 uf cap? as i'm about to do this, might as well take your cues to improve the design for desktop application...Thanks again.:)
If you mount 2 TC9's in the same box, and put a cap in series with one of them, you will have significant phase cancellation issues, because reactive elements (caps and coils) cause time shift or phase shift (same thing). You will have created a comb filter mechanism. That only works if you also put a coil in series with the other TC9 (for a full crossover network). But that would be foolish too. If you're going to put 2 TC9's in the same box, I'd wire them in parallel (I hope you bought the 8 ohm versions), and add a tweeter (the ND20 twtr is very good) and a crossover that has a crossover frequency at about 6kHZ. And I don't recommend an open baffle enclosure. They require substantial active EQ to work right, or you'll have very little lower mid and bass.

If one puts a bipolar electroytic capacitor of say 160 uF to 200 uF in series with the parallel combination of the TC9's that should trim off the low frequency response and help to alleviate the cavity resonance produced by the open back cabinet.
You would have to experiment with the capacitance value in order to get the desired result though. It's worth a try.

C.M

Joined 2004
Paid Member
It seems to me that an open back enclosure with sides all around would have substantial resonant cavity effect on the rear output... regardless of how much padding you put in the box. Was this not a problem?

Simple answer is no. I see no such thing on fr response. I measured response numerous time while I was optimizing crossover. No resonant cavity effect. I have no stuffing in the back, its fully open.

Where are you finding inductors so small?
PE's smallest is .54mh.
Online, i had trouble finding some.
I guess due to hi frequency, the coil is tiny.
I was hoping to try with cheap stuff, then measure and try more expensive stuff for giggles...

I already have tc9's in a "nautaloss" box.
Tweeters wont fit, so am going to try this setup in another enclosure. If all works well, might try the mtm with nice woofers and dsp for a nice 3way monitor.

If this sounds as good as you say, and i love my "nautaloss" sound (with sub @ 200 hz), then i have high hopes in trying this out!

Hahaha
My dumb *** clicked on "iron core".
That is why i didnt see the smaller ones.
Before you responded, i found the proper ones. :D
Thanks for quick response.
So, go with the .20mh?
And do you have a preference between .33 and .47 uf cap?
What type and brand?
I was going to get a cheap dayton 1 or 2% foil cap, but if you have a recommendation or prefer metalized, i'd be glad to hear it.
I am not experienced at designing crossovers.
But i do have measuring gear and will try to have some fun measuring in spring...
I have pcd7 and hope to design a basic crosover in the future.
Thanks.
Todd

Last edited:
Joined 2004
Paid Member
this is how they look now, still in use

Attachments

• IMG_5976 (2).jpg
    IMG_5976 (2).jpg
    969.3 KB · Views: 791
  • IMG_5977 (2).jpg
    IMG_5977 (2).jpg
    998.8 KB · Views: 787
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.