MTM sound characteristics

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Where do you think I should xo them at, slope? What do you think of the vertical dispersion?

I'd cross over to the TPL-150H somewhere around 1250hz to 1750hz ( based on your posted polars ).

Build some test boxes ( 1 for each component ) and then swap back and forth between a TMM and the MTM arrangement.

Choose the configuration that you like best.

:)

I'd cross over to the TPL-150H somewhere around 1250hz to 1750hz ( based on your posted polars ).

Build some test boxes ( 1 for each component ) and then swap back and forth between a TMM and the MTM arrangement.

Choose the configuration that you like best.

Thank you.
Is your assessment based on horizontal dispersion only or vertical as well? How do you read verticals?

Will do as you say. In fact it was already in my plans. However we are in full covid lockdown now down here, so can't get materials to build those. In fact I'm using a repurposed box for these measurements so I can get going and learning while covid unfolds.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
i would start with second order and see how it measures and tweak it from there
(just imagine those your woofers there in parallel)

Attachments

• mtm cross.jpg
    mtm cross.jpg
    40.9 KB · Views: 302
Thank you.
Is your assessment based on horizontal dispersion only or vertical as well? How do you read verticals?

Let your ears guide you to your final configuration.

I'm not going to bother trying to "sell" that sort of guidance to you.

FWIW, no amount of testing // data gathering // trace reading // comes close to explaining the phenomena called "Imaging" .

Last edited:
FWIW, no amount of testing // data gathering // trace reading // explains the phenomena of "Imaging" .

Indeed the Word 'imaging' Is the same as how the Eye sees( like a camera, inverted) and our 'inner circuits' revert the images+3D vision. Same for the Word 'focus'...

For sound, the musical sound, it's differenti for many reasons, the First Is that sound Is a slow in propagation phenomena, contrary to light...

Last edited:
LewinskiH01's speaker looks like it might go a bit loud! :D

https://www.beyma.com/speakers/Fichas_Tecnicas/beyma-speakers-data-sheet-amt-TPL150H.pdf
B&C Speakers

It's all been done before, of course. So maybe is a good idea.

People used to use 1 or 2x 8" bass and a Decca Kelly ribbon back in the day.

Indeed, these could play very loud. Yet my goal is high efficiency for SET driving them in an active setup, rather than going insanely loud.

Yes, it's been done before. Here's a commercial speaker: Divin

I think the idea is you are about 10 metres away, so a few dispersion issues aren't really going to be heard. But you get that nice efficient PA sound.

I sit at 2 metres rather than 10, though. Which is one of the largest question marks I have.

music soothes the savage beast
Joined 2004
Paid Member
Thanks :) I'm guessing that there are room effects in there as well. It's better than I would have expected!

Tony.

i have not tweaked the crossover yet, i believe that hump at 6-7kHz can be cured by inserting resistor to the third section of those flanking four tweeters on each side, they are coming in too hot
first section is just one central tweeter
second section are those above and below, in series, thus double the impedance
but third section are four series/parallel, so the same impedance like one tweeter, so obviously they need taming

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.