MPP

No, but there are lot of Zetex transistors that are useful for this purpose.
Here is the most simple circuit I could think of.
It is a John Curl design from the 70th.
You could also take out the feedback resistor and terminate the output with it.
You could call the first version shunt feedback and the second version a kind of Lokal current feedback. Some will say open loop.
I have used this John Curl design successfully in another thread.
Two op-amps where added: one to take the output impedance of both transistors out of the equation, making that a very low value for the feedback resistor can be used.
The second op-amp to keep the input voltage within a few uV, preventing any current to flow into the Cart and at the same time removing the need to match the Vbe of the transistors.

Noise RTI of this solution is in the order of 220pV/rtHz, and sound reproduction is fantastic.

Hans

Attachments

• Curl Modified.jpg
    Curl Modified.jpg
    147.5 KB · Views: 463
Why would you want to use unequal and low supply voltages like this ?
The servo function can be performed with regular supply as well (little
change of wiring) and input stage bias by adjusting R12, R13 accordingly.
I do not fully understand what you mean, but the supply in my case is either a floating 5V 10Ah powerbank for smart phones or a floating 5V 5Watt USB adapter
The -1.5 volt comes from a LED and the 2.1V in series from a (LED+Diode), this being fed from the 5Volt. The connection between both Led’s is made to be the signal gnd.
The servo as used in this way does not add any to the excellent noise behaviour.

Hans

This is my version. I took 2 ZTX618 transistors in parallel that have lower noise then the 2N4401. The second transistor is a Darlington. One effect of this is that the idle current in the input stage is approximately doubled to a value of 5mA. I lowered the resistor values in the feedback also in an attempt to lower the noise contribution of the 10Ohm resistor.
The result is a very quiet Pre-Pre with decent bandwidth and low distortion. At 5mV input it should be less then 0,01% mainly second harmonic. The sound is very analog with some warmth. Resolution and dynamics are good too. As a beginner project it is ideal.

Attachments

• 8425DA33-1075-4E4A-8510-FB9A571862FE.jpg
    8425DA33-1075-4E4A-8510-FB9A571862FE.jpg
    352.7 KB · Views: 275
Here is a picture of my build. At the input is an electrolyte Cap. A good quality one should be used here. I took an Elna Silmik 2 that is optimized for low distortion.
It has the advantage that the cartridge sees very little DC voltage.
Some people may not like a coupling cap at the input. I show you a solution later how this can be avoided.

Attachments

• 49731022-DD5B-4B3D-9B98-741DA481F26A.jpg
    49731022-DD5B-4B3D-9B98-741DA481F26A.jpg
    646.8 KB · Views: 271
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Just for fun I build a version of the Nordholt - Vierzen MC Pre-Pre from the AES Journal April 1980.
I found this version in the picture on the net and modified it for lower noise and distortion.

Memories from 2009, remember? (National AN-222 Fig 4)
:)

George

Attachments

• Picture 250.png
    Picture 250.png
    75.6 KB · Views: 154
  • Picture 251.jpg
    Picture 251.jpg
    191.2 KB · Views: 152