MPP

Here is the Borbely-Lender fig. b
The Supra is a bit similar and the Borbely-Lender can be improved too.

Attachments

• Borbely-Lender True Symmetry.jpg
    Borbely-Lender True Symmetry.jpg
    194.4 KB · Views: 602
Hello All!

Thank you Joachim, for your generosity and willingness to share some of your thoughts and designs with us! As a great fan of the original Tempo loudspeaker I knew you 'do' speakers, but it's great finding out you are allso into electronics :)

One said one cannot have enough phono preamps so I'm checking out new projects to complement my Pass Aleph Ono. The Pass is a little to laid-back for my personal taste and I'm looking for something a little more involving. What have been the key design goals for the FPS phonostage and since you have compared it to the Pass designs, what would you describe as its difference soundwise? I'm trying to chose what phono I will build but since budget is limited, I must make sure it will fit me before I buy the Pilgham-kit...

Last edited:
Hello All!

Thank you Joachim, for your generosity and willingness to share some of your thoughts and designs with us! As a great fan of the original Tempo loudspeaker I knew you 'do' speakers, but it's great finding out you are allso into electronics :)

One said one cannot have enough phono preamps so I'm checking out new projects to complement my Pass Aleph Ono. The Pass is a little to laid-back for my personal taste and I'm looking for something a little more involving. What have been the key design goals for the FPS phonostage and since you have compared it to the Pass designs, what would you describe as its difference? I'm trying to chose what phono I will build but since budget is limited, I must make sure it will fit me before I buy the Pilgham-kit... TT Is the Goldnote Bellagio/B7Titanium/Lyra Delos combo...

Hmm editing does strange things to a message on the board :S

Last edited:
Hi Merijn

Joachim is at the CES....

I just like to give you some information:
I don't know or remember the pass designs in comparison, but I hold one of the rauschfrei prototypes built by Ward at the moment and have used it over the past years with Lyra Titan, Lyra Olympos, Lyra Skala and at the klangbilder show in 2012 with the Lyra Delos. Joachim tested the design with his Lyra Titan at the time. So all I can say - I use it because its sound was with all cartridges mentioned very artefact free, very open, very dynamic and has a great staging.there is no coloration or smeered tonality coming from the rauschfrei. Apart from that I think You should contact Ward directly as he is the person that can tell You the difference between the DIY Kit and the rauschfrei. I can only say by memory that they are very similar in design, just the rauschfrei became a commercial product.

Wards conntact details:
Gerhard MC pre

Happy New Year to All!

Martina

Hi Martina,

Thanks for the responce, quite promessing :). I'll check with Ward, he lives pretty close by. As I seem to do have the Linear Audio vol. 0 , I must re-read the article.

BTW I noticed I ran the Lyra with a load of 100 ohms so I had plenty of room to experiment. Now running 475 ohms and it sure is a whole lot more open and involving. What is your experience regarding the Lyras? You seem to have lots of experiences with them? Maybee I'll ask Stig too but he was at CES too. Too bad Jonathans phonopre is not RoHS/CE compatible and thus not available anymore...

Last edited:
.... The Lyra Connoisseur Phono's were 47 kOhms
its not so easy to say which cirquit/cartridge plays happily with what impedance
I run the rauschfrei at 1000 Ohms and didn't like the 330 Ohms setting
Don't go fuzzy about that! - one of Joachims active prepres I use are transimpedance so I don't bother anyway. Apart from that ~ 660 might worth trying. I also experimented a lot with low capacity wiring with Lyra Atlas... Jonathan Carr has a point there!
Greetings to Ward when You call him!

Last edited:
Boy, am I glad I responded in this thread!

After spending the evening and a good deal of the night on reading Joachims article in LA, not only the FPS is looking very promessing (I really like the INA - concept), I'll contact Stig for trying to get old of one of his balanced versions of the Lyra Phonocable. That's the one you refer to, Martina? BTW, your hint for trying 660 ohms load seems to hit gold!

Hi

Yes , the Phono Pipe cable and any other low capacity self made cable you can put together.
You need to read Jonathan Carr's claims about these issues regarding MC
with the Rauschfrei I use 1kOhms and all is fine - Why don't You test 660 with your own stages in combination with your Delos and share your experiences here?

And don't forget to enjoy yor music !!!

Martina

So, weekend is over and so are the experiments for now... Don't worry, music is my first love!

Tried all the way up to 1K and to be honest it really is not an easy task to find the hotspot: During the day I seem to like the 825-1K range more, but at night it is clearly the 475-660. At night the 825 is a little too harsh and pronounced. During the day is 660 too dull/flat... I'll have to listen a whole lot more to these settings with broad range of records. Ill settle for 825 for now, just to get to know this setting a little more.

The other stages I have are a not-too-succesfull Phonoclone/Phonocube and a PH-1-ish phonoamp running on OPA627 with a fixed load of 1K and 45dB of gain. Not really the material for thourough testing ;-)

p.s. How about a listeningsession and some good coffee Martina ;-)?

Last edited:
So, weekend is over and so are the experiments for now... Don't worry, music is my first love!

Tried all the way up to 1K and to be honest it really is not an easy task to find the hotspot: During the day I seem to like the 825-1K range more, but at night it is clearly the 475-660. At night the 825 is a little too harsh and pronounced. During the day is 660 too dull/flat... I'll have to listen a whole lot more to these settings with broad range of records. Ill settle for 825 for now, just to get to know this setting a little more.

The other stages I have are a not-too-succesfull Phonoclone/Phonocube and a PH-1-ish phonoamp running on OPA627 with a fixed load of 1K and 45dB of gain. Not really the material for thourough testing ;-)

p.s. How about a listeningsession and some good coffee Martina ;-)?

Count me in :)