MPP

This is my old transimpedance riia. It is diy from the Danish former magazine High fidelity in 92, and has served me well for many years, very transparant, but lately the pcb has started to deteriorate (lousy quality to begin with) so i can`t wait for the paradise boards to arrive:)

Attachments

• air phono.jpg
    air phono.jpg
    860 KB · Views: 268
Indeed... but I am very happy... It proved to be a good contender to my SE build. Not better, I still come back to the simplistic when I want that magical soundstage, but the paradise has a special way to handle bass lines enabling ALL recordings to be fully apreciated... A rare feat.

Now I will build R3 with the utmost confidence.

BTW... yesterday I could listen to it with the Benz.... It is quite transparent and completely transmits the cart's character.

Yes we are going back to Simplistic I remember having exactly the same impressions sound stage was really good (probably one of the best I have heard)
One snag of Simplistic was that same poor record became as useful as a Frisbee
A really bad One I remember was the Cult Box Set (sorry no catalogue number on me at present)
While others like Temptations masterpiece would let you know not only where the performers where on the horizontal plane but also how tall or how far back from the microphone they where

This is way I was asking if possible to find out magic ingredient to make the Paradise that tiny little bit better
Saying this I have not tried Simplistic and Paradise back to back so I can’t say which one is the winner

Probably they are just different with good and not as good points.
One can't have Fish every day (and we are talking fine Lobster cooked from alive) so I may end up with a few more inputs on pre.

I do not have a Simplistic here and never heard it so i can not say much. I have an Aksa Paris head amp here that also uses a single ended BJT cascoded J-Fet without overall NFB. At the beginning of the MPP thread, nearly 3 years ago i presented some measurements of the Paris against some of my prototypes. At low levels it had nearly only second harmonic, at higher levels higher harmonics showed up in some proportion and the level of distortion went up a lot. When we want to get a grasp on what the Simplistic is doing against the Paradise we have to setup a measurement comparison.
First problem is to match levels exactly, second problem is that circuits that have relatively high levels of low order distortion, but are monotonic ( distortion going down with level plus complexity of distortion going down with level ) often are rated as subjectively good because some kind of enhancement is going on. A good example are tube based circuits. I do not say that the Simplistic has higher distortion then the Paradise. i do not even have a Simplistic here. I did not even put it in a simulator.
I just wanted to mention that a purely subjective evaluation, provided that the challenger has decent technical data ( as far as i can tell the Simplistic has correct RIAA and is low noise and wideband ) will always come out like that : i like the bass better in A then i like it in B. I have nothing against subjective evaluation though. I listen to my stuff all the time and i usually do only basic measurement before i listen not to spoil my expectation. I measure a lot though when i hear a problem.

If we reach a consensus at the end that the Simplistic has better subjective and objective staging ( that will be hard to measure besides crosstalk ) we have to ask the question how we can implant that knowledge into the Paradise if we want that.
I have build Paradise stages with J-Fets at the input instead of BJTs and they sounded different so maybe one answer lies in the use of certain active components, in this case BJT against J-Fet.

You know, we decided against the Fets because low noise P-channels are extinct.
A group buy of 500 sets with selected and non fake P-channels ?
Give me a break.
I have shown here somewhere though that a very high quality phono stage can be made with N-Channels only. I would then use feedback because for my taste single ended open loop structures are simply too high distorted.

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Apples to oranges. Unipolar SE resistor loaded ac coupled few junctions, and symmetric BJT mirror CCSed dc many junctions. Diyers we should have all in our disposal just bcs we can. No cigar guy has just one brand in his humidor. Simply.:)

FYI the Simplistic shows ~0.02% for nominal output (300mVRMS) in MC single K170 versions, with 2ndH dominant of course, 3rdH 20dB lower and no others. It does not pick up much with typical records cut level due to sweet spot biased 2nd stage with moderate source degeneration.