MPP

2 days ago a dream came true. AS brought me a Wandel & Goltermann measurement system from 1975 he had saved for me. It can measure harmonic distortion and intermodulation.
Also level. Specs are not so impressive then say an Audio Precision or Rohde & Schwarz but what i read on the web practical specs are much better then the claimed -80dB. This is from a time where the manufacturers gave minimum specs under worse case conditions.
The building quality is overwhelming. This is heavy, properly made machinery.

Attachments

• Wandel & Goltermann SPM-11 SPMZ-111.jpg
    Wandel & Goltermann SPM-11 SPMZ-111.jpg
    87.6 KB · Views: 448
That was a Pikatron transformer. It looks quite similar but the Sowter is much bigger in size and i hope of better quality. Yes, Lennard was never really happy with the transformers i send him. We started a discussion how we could improve matters but the project bit the dust in the end. That was busy times where we have being involved into many things so this little project was not that important.
I have no choice anyway. The guy i am building for at the moment demands a transformer input with inductive RIAA and tube output stage. I have tried the 9226 and must say that it is much better then transformers i tested 15 years ago so progress has being made. The Pikatron barely reached 20kHz and had a treble resonance in the ultra sonics but this new ones go the 100kHz. Whereas i experienced a loss in resolution and extension in several transformers i tried
a longer time ago this Lundahl did sound good in the treble.

When I'am done and thing are playing .. I'll supply you the details. som small changes have to ba applied to the circuit....some extra resistors and different sniffpiont for the RF feedback and a little higher gain..all to make it unconditionally stable also without output coil...

Yes those trafos of the LA-- are still hard to beat... actually i believe i have a set....Maybe it's time to rework those...

M