MPP

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Maybe the most ''powerful'' vinyl loving audiophile today is Russia's president. This picture has been discussed before by Dimitri. Avid Acutus Reference SP turntable, made in Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire.

Attachments

• Dmitry-Medvedev-006.jpg
    Dmitry-Medvedev-006.jpg
    34.8 KB · Views: 412
diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
That photo is from when Putin visited, so he could be cuing up a CD for ''civilized'' background listening. Notice his 100dB wolf in sheep's clothing refrigerator cabinets with pro units and compression drivers non the less. He is a Rock fan. He even has an open reel to reel and a collection of original tapes, rare vinyl, etc. Having a medium range Naim CDP when he was Gazprom chairman rather tells digital is a secondary source to him.

So he likes English culture. Me too. I really enjoyed my time at Essex to work with Prof.Hawksford and working with Be Yamamura and Robert Churchill later in the 90th. By the way over at the High Resolution Forum we are discussing Bob Katz third Hypothesis if high resolution is necessary for recording but downsampling correctly to 16/44 is sufficient for listening.

Joachim,

I hadn't looked at your posts for a few years it turns out.
I scanned most of this thread.
I am very tired now.
And I didn't even have to do any of the work!

Now that you have tried almost every RIAA circuit known to man - well not really - what have you decided subjectively??

Is it all just different?
All just the same more or less?
Does it matter what you use if it is optimized?

How much coffee or prescription medications are you on?
How many hours do you sleep a night?
Are you a vampire?
How do you get people and outside influences to leave you alone long enough to get all these things designed, built & tested?

What's your favorite color?
do you like puppy dogs?
cats?
Race cars?

From where comes your energy and enthusiasm to do all this?

Are you crazy?

:D

_-_-bear

Last edited:
If i would be crazy the circuits would not work but the ones i designed to the end do.
Concerning the seemingly endless energy i have my "secret" is a rather unusual schedule.
Usually i sleep two times a day. Maybe 2 hours in the late afternoon or evening. Then 6 hours from maybe 3.00 - 6.00 after midnight to 9.00 - 13.00 the same day. When i am very tired i am able to "switch off" the eyes and my ears and take small naps of maybe 10
to 20 minutes. That is even possible in high noise environments. I learned this during the 90th when i traveled the globe tireless, left and right. I eat and drink as good stuff as i can. We cook a lot at home. Basically mediterranean and japanese but also what we call "new light german". I smoke too much and one of my projects this year is to stop. I was a violent non smoker for 20 years but i have picked it up maybe 5 years ago.
Coming back to the circuits i tested, i found that you can make a lot of topologies sound good when they do the job correctly. It all depends on how you build it and what parts you use in combination. PSU is important etc. A stage i would build for me would be typical parallel symmetric, cascoded, fast and precise current mirrors. 75usec transimpedance and 318usec and 3180usec active. DC coupled, well buffered.

For a circuit i like see Rüdigers post 2056. That could be the input stage. The current mirror can be improves and you could build it unbalanced for 3dB less noise. The 75usec could be made with a cap parallel to the output resistor ( transimpedance ). That has the advantage that clicks and pops do not reach the second stage. I would not hesitate to do the second stage with Opamps. At that level they can be very good. For example LME49990 buffered with LME49600. That drives the 318usec and 3180usec part active. I would add a servo to that stage. PSU is another matter all together. I am quite a fan of passive or low feedback solutions. A shunt can behave quite temperamental but i am not strictly against it. Double mono was always better in my listening tests. More separation and dimensionality.