Morpheus ultra low THD

Ultra low THD is usually a very exciting area as most designers balance between zeros and oscillation, for some of these amplifiers all it takes is a sneeze from either the listener or the playback to set it off, even the weather can set it off, once you power it on, it whispers into your ear 'say somethn', hopefully morpheus will play nice

Morpheus Vs Orchestra , you choose 143.76mm*132.08mm, use own BOM (files provided for non commercial purposes for researchers, curious onlookers, audiophiles and diyers)
Bias @130mA

https://www.pcbway.com/project/shareproject/Morpheus_audio_power_amplifier_61fe3f69.html

3D_PCB_Morpheus 2.png

3D_PCB_Morpheus 1.png

Last edited:
Any ideas on going lower, the math works, the bias is anything 130mA and above for the quasi complementary output stage, if the VAS is already CFP why didn't I go full CFP output stage which requires lower bias current?

Last edited:

TNT

Joined 2003
Paid Member
The simulations: such low noise floor but such a wide fundamental. The simulation has 150 dB resolution, yet the fundamental has a skirt a few 100Hz wide - cant sound good... but it's there and you can't say its lack of resolution...

//

Reactions: 1 users
Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Don't read too much into the noise floor. The noise floor in an FFT is proportional to the FFT bin width. Increase the FFT length (-> smaller bins) and watch the noise floor drop.

The simulation does show that the amp is not fundamentally broken ... assuming that it's able to produce a 20 Hz to 20 kHz sine wave into a 4-8 Ω load and has reasonable slew rate in simulation that is. I wouldn't pop open the champagne just yet, but it seems worthwhile to prototype the amp.

I'm not surprised that doubling up on the devices degrades performance. Usually a lower current density in a BJT results in worse performance.

How much loop gain does this amp have at DC and at 20 kHz?

Tom

Reactions: 1 users