Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi,

I've just installed Moode (2.5+ Test Release 1). Awesome! Thanks for your hard work.

I would like to report a problem I had setting up the WiFi. After entering SSID and WiFi password I clicked on "Apply" and the following error occurred:

"Fatal error: Call to a member function execute() on a non-object in /var/www/inc/playerlib.php on line 635"

The problem seems to be related to my WiFi password. It contains characters like ! and '. When I try to set a password that doesn't contain those characters, Moode works as expected.

I was able to make the WiFi connection work editing the file "/etc/network/interfaces" and setting the password there.

Best regards,
Andrea

Problems mounting directories

Hello,

I am using release 2.5+ (2016-01-DD) on a Pi 2

I want to mount more than one directory from my NAS.
Since I organize my music into folders whose names are based upon where I got the tracks from, I wanted to be able see this organization in Moode.

The following works, but I cannot see any *.flac file in the FLAC directory. It is as if Moode only recognizes *.m4a and *.mp3 files

iTunes is mapped to "music/Music"
FLAC is mapped to "media/MusicOnNas/FLAC"

This does not work

iTunes -> music/Music
FLAC -> media/MusicOnNas/FLAC
HDtracks -> media/MusicOnNas/HDtracks

When I tried this, Moode generated an error when trying to mount HDtracks and the FLAC directory on the file system got munged. I could not delete the mounts through the UI until I rebooted

I then decided to move all of the vendor's folders into a single folder called HIREZ. This works with regard to the mounts and descending into the sub-directories, but Moode does not list any *.flac, *.dsd, or *.dsf files

iTunes -> music/Music
HIREZ -> media/MusicOnNas/HIREZ

I've got a DurioSound card mounted on top of a Pi 2.
Audio out from it is just fine.

I also have a LHLabs Geek Pulse Infinity connected to the USB. I disabled the Durio and rebooted the Pi. Moode does not list it in settings, but I don't see an option to select a USB connected device. I assume that Moode would just use it.

But I get now audio out. Do I need to use a Pi without a card?

Hi,

(1) Menu, Configure, System: In "I2S audio device: field select "None" then reboot.
(2) Menu, Configure, MPD: In "Audio output" field select "USB audio device" then press APPLY.

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim, any chance to have mpd compiled with the cdio_paranoia input plugin in the next moode release? I would really like to switch to moode, but I need CD support.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

PS. FYI I tried moode with the diyinhk es9023 DAC

24Bit/192KHz ES9023 DAC, I2S input, Ultra Low Noise Regulator - DIYINHK

with onboard clock and it worked like a charm with the i2s generic driver.

Hi,

I'll investigate cdio_paranoia. Is this the only component needed for CD support or is there some sort of audio-mounter that is also required?

I'll add the DAC to I2S select list. Generic driver = hifiberry-dac overlay.

Regards,
Tim

Hi folks,

I've just blogged about how I got the BBC's HLS streams to play on MoOde on my Pi Zero.

"In the MoOde for streaming internet radio on the Raspberry Pi Zero":

Phil's Occasional Blog : In the MoOde for streaming internet radio on the Raspberry Pi Zero

Enjoy!

Many thanks to Phil for posting this terrific workaround for BBC HD streams. Max seems positively disinterested in updating mpd to cater for the BBC's hls streams and now he doesn't have to - although it would save the 80MB java d/l and 200+MB install.

A couple of points to Phil's instructions:

1. I chose the Oracle Java Arm 32 bit as opposed to the 64 bit on offer.

2. The file name BBCRadio.m3u seems to be hard wired in the Minim code so changing it will cause it all to fail ... don't ask! It's location doesn't matter as long as it's entered either on Minim's command line or in a remote browser pointed at:
<Your Moode's IP>:9790 where you can enter it.

Maybe Tim could put this on the R3.0 request list.

There'll be no more switching to mplayer2 to listen to BBC HD so thanks once more to Phil and commiserations to all who aren't within the catchment area.

Nigel.

Hi,

I've just installed Moode (2.5+ Test Release 1). Awesome! Thanks for your hard work.

I would like to report a problem I had setting up the WiFi. After entering SSID and WiFi password I clicked on "Apply" and the following error occurred:

"Fatal error: Call to a member function execute() on a non-object in /var/www/inc/playerlib.php on line 635"

The problem seems to be related to my WiFi password. It contains characters like ! and '. When I try to set a password that doesn't contain those characters, Moode works as expected.

I was able to make the WiFi connection work editing the file "/etc/network/interfaces" and setting the password there.

Best regards,
Andrea

Hi,

I'll test on my end. Could be a bug.

Regards,
Tim

Hello,

I am using release 2.5+ (2016-01-DD) on a Pi 2

I want to mount more than one directory from my NAS.
Since I organize my music into folders whose names are based upon where I got the tracks from, I wanted to be able see this organization in Moode.

The following works, but I cannot see any *.flac file in the FLAC directory. It is as if Moode only recognizes *.m4a and *.mp3 files

iTunes is mapped to "music/Music"
FLAC is mapped to "media/MusicOnNas/FLAC"

This does not work

iTunes -> music/Music
FLAC -> media/MusicOnNas/FLAC
HDtracks -> media/MusicOnNas/HDtracks

When I tried this, Moode generated an error when trying to mount HDtracks and the FLAC directory on the file system got munged. I could not delete the mounts through the UI until I rebooted

I then decided to move all of the vendor's folders into a single folder called HIREZ. This works with regard to the mounts and descending into the sub-directories, but Moode does not list any *.flac, *.dsd, or *.dsf files

iTunes -> music/Music
HIREZ -> media/MusicOnNas/HIREZ

Hi,

I'm a bit confused. Have you changed the symlinks on Moode OS that are used to
map /mnt dirs for MPD? This will definitely cause breakage.

For reference, I use multiple mounts all the time without issue and no problem with any of the audio formats. What is .dsd format?

The symptom "I cannot see any *.flac file in the FLAC directory" most likely due to permissions. In other words, the mount succeeds but MPD does not index the files because denied by file or dir permissions on the NAS.

Regards,
Tim

Hi,

I'll investigate cdio_paranoia. Is this the only component needed for CD support or is there some sort of audio-mounter that is also required?

I'll add the DAC to I2S select list. Generic driver = hifiberry-dac overlay.

Regards,
Tim

The only thing I needed to install was cdparanoia, to extract the CD tracks. Basically I followed this guide:

https://volumio.org/forum/playing-cds-directly-from-mpd-t2411.html#p14612

I was not able to set up the automatic addition of the CD tracks into the mpd playlist (I have to manually run the script "addcdaudio.sh" you can find over there), but it works. I had just to write a udev rule in order to fix permission problems with the CDROM device.

Regards,
Antonello

Hi,

I'm a bit confused. Have you changed the symlinks on Moode OS that are used to
map /mnt dirs for MPD? This will definitely cause breakage.

For reference, I use multiple mounts all the time without issue and no problem with any of the audio formats. What is .dsd format?

The symptom "I cannot see any *.flac file in the FLAC directory" most likely due to permissions. In other words, the mount succeeds but MPD does not index the files because denied by file or dir permissions on the NAS.

Regards,
Tim

Tim, thanks for the reply
I didn't make any changes from the CLI, if that is what you meant.
I went to Configure > Sources > New and added the paths that are available from the same NAS.

Some how, though, I definitely corrupted the file system. I did go to the CLI to check out the mount.

That being said, I am mounting the newly created HIREZ directory and from the CLI, it appears that I no longer have a permission problem:

pi@moode:/mnt/NAS/HIREZ/FLAC/Steely Dan/Gaucho$ ls -l
total 845376
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6590144 Dec 22 2012 0-Liner NotesHD00008811205522.pdf
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 130653336 May 8 2015 1-Babylon Sisters.flac
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 114010574 May 8 2015 2-Hey Nineteen.flac
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 171485059 May 8 2015 3-Glamour Profession.flac
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 128167145 May 8 2015 4-Gaucho.flac
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 95108526 May 8 2015 5-Time Out Of Mind.flac
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 102176916 May 8 2015 6-My Rival.flac
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 117153306 May 8 2015 7-Third World Man.flac
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 48707 Dec 22 2012 Gaucho.jpg
drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 0 May 8 2015 Pure Music Bookmark.pmbmf
pi@moode:/mnt/NAS/HIREZ/FLAC/Steely Dan/Gaucho$

What is interesting is that when I go to Browse > HIREZ > FLAC > Steely Dan > Guacho

I only see the Pure Music Bookmark.pmbmf directory and nothing else. The same is true for the other folders under HIREZ. Don't worry about what the Pure Music directory is. The fact is that I may only see directories, but no files.

If it is a permissions problem, then how is it that I am able to see and enter directories? If it is a permissions problem, then why am I able to see the files from the CLI?

Regarding your question about what DSD is:

From Google:

"Direct-Stream Digital (DSD) is the trademark name used by Sony and Philips for their system of digitally recreating audible signals for the Super Audio CD (SACD)."

Basically, it is a 1-bit sample at a rate that can be 64,128, or 256 times the sample rate of a CD, which is 44.1kHz.

The idea is that if you sample the original analogue signal more frequently, you don't need 16, 24, or 32 bit sample sizes. A 1-bit sample size is sufficient and you obtain a more accurate sample of the original analogue data. Some people argue that it is better sounding. I'm checking it out and I am still on the fence regarding whether *I* can hear the difference between 192/24 and DSD64.

Here's more on DSD
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Stream_Digital

Hi Tim!
It would be nice to have menu button to switch the MPD conf file
to mpd Brutefir version and back if you want the standard mpd.conf.

Maybe you block the output for audio device when you switching without reboot?

The brutefirdirac_config in the example can be used for default without any filters.

Here is another conf example to get the Brutefir working.
Brutefir Filter - SqueezeboxWiki
regards
Tommy

Tim, thanks for the reply
I didn't make any changes from the CLI, if that is what you meant.
I went to Configure > Sources > New and added the paths that are available from the same NAS.

Some how, though, I definitely corrupted the file system. I did go to the CLI to check out the mount.

That being said, I am mounting the newly created HIREZ directory and from the CLI, it appears that I no longer have a permission problem:

pi@moode:/mnt/NAS/HIREZ/FLAC/Steely Dan/Gaucho$ ls -l
total 845376
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 6590144 Dec 22 2012 0-Liner NotesHD00008811205522.pdf
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 130653336 May 8 2015 1-Babylon Sisters.flac
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 114010574 May 8 2015 2-Hey Nineteen.flac
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 171485059 May 8 2015 3-Glamour Profession.flac
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 128167145 May 8 2015 4-Gaucho.flac
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 95108526 May 8 2015 5-Time Out Of Mind.flac
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 102176916 May 8 2015 6-My Rival.flac
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 117153306 May 8 2015 7-Third World Man.flac
-rwxrwxrwx 1 root root 48707 Dec 22 2012 Gaucho.jpg
drwxrwxrwx 2 root root 0 May 8 2015 Pure Music Bookmark.pmbmf
pi@moode:/mnt/NAS/HIREZ/FLAC/Steely Dan/Gaucho$

What is interesting is that when I go to Browse > HIREZ > FLAC > Steely Dan > Guacho

I only see the Pure Music Bookmark.pmbmf directory and nothing else. The same is true for the other folders under HIREZ. Don't worry about what the Pure Music directory is. The fact is that I may only see directories, but no files.

If it is a permissions problem, then how is it that I am able to see and enter directories? If it is a permissions problem, then why am I able to see the files from the CLI?

Regarding your question about what DSD is:

From Google:

"Direct-Stream Digital (DSD) is the trademark name used by Sony and Philips for their system of digitally recreating audible signals for the Super Audio CD (SACD)."

Basically, it is a 1-bit sample at a rate that can be 64,128, or 256 times the sample rate of a CD, which is 44.1kHz.

The idea is that if you sample the original analogue signal more frequently, you don't need 16, 24, or 32 bit sample sizes. A 1-bit sample size is sufficient and you obtain a more accurate sample of the original analogue data. Some people argue that it is better sounding. I'm checking it out and I am still on the fence regarding whether *I* can hear the difference between 192/24 and DSD64.

Here's more on DSD
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Direct_Stream_Digital

Hi,

I was referring to the file extension ".dsd" and not DSD itself. I have some .dsf format files in my test collection and am aware of .dff format but I've not seen audio files with .dsd extension.

Are u logging in as Pi? There is no Pi user on Moode OS. Recommend logging in as root@moode (pwd=moode)

To troubleshoot I'd suggest turning on MPD logging to see why MPD is not indexing the files.

(1) nano /etc/mpd.conf
(2) uncomment the line: #log_file "/var/log/mpd/mpd.log"
(3) leave log_level "default" as-is for now (can set to "verbose" for detail info but usually not necessary
(4) > /var/log/mpd/mpd.log (clear log file)
(5) service mpd restart
(6) Moode Browse screen
(7) Navigate to Gaucho folder
(8) Click the item menu and select "Update this folder" ( this performs an MPD DB UPDATE)
(9) When finished, cat /var/log/mpd/mpd.log and look for error messages
(A) If u need to repeat, then clear the log before MPD DB UPDATE

Regards,
Tim

Hi Tim!
It would be nice to have menu button to switch the MPD conf file
to mpd Brutefir version and back if you want the standard mpd.conf.

Maybe you block the output for audio device when you switching without reboot?

The brutefirdirac_config in the example can be used for default without any filters.

Here is another conf example to get the Brutefir working.
Brutefir Filter - SqueezeboxWiki
regards
Tommy

Hi Tommy,

I was thinking of a more feature rich UI with not only output switching but settings that make it easier to configure the filters and EQ settings. I'm not familiar enough with this to know what to include.

Regards,
Tim

cool! I'm downloading it now :spin: ... and "manually updating" next :( :D

is hotplug for USB HDD already working on this or is planned for 2.5 release?
thanks for it!

Hi,

Hotplug introduced in TR1 so yes its in this release. TR2 contains everything listed in relnotes under 2.5 except the API guide.

As a footnote, although not listed in the relnotes, TR2 is running Linux kernel 4.1.15.

Regards,
Tim

I reflashed with the latest image earlier . Same issues as before , hardware volume does not work . DAC is IQ Audio PiDac+ . Software volume does seem to work ok

316a

Hi,

I have same DAC and no issues w/Hardware volume. Just tested.

Remember to turn Logarithmic curve on (Menu, Customize) or there will be hardly any output in the 0-50 knob range.

Regards,
Tim