Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Album Artist tag

I am new for Moode player and not sure if this subject has been beaten to death already. If it is true then I am very sorry.

Long time fb2k user I have adopted its tagging practices. Specifically the treatment of the Album Artist tag. I always follow this guide while tagging my library and find it very practical.

The short summary of the Album Artist approach:

1. the tag-fieldname used for declaring and describing albums/split-EPs or split-singles which contain various artists is "ALBUM ARTIST" (separated with space, not underscore)
  2. tag should only exist if an album contains various artists. It should NOT be created when an album does not contain various artists.

The same behavior is adopted by many other players like Kodi and Plex to mention a few.

So I was really surprised to see the Compilation identifier in the Appearance settings of Moode. :confused:In my library I have hundreds of compilations (like concert recordings) with various Album Artists fields, so identifying them all and putting into this field is a rather tedious task. Obviously I do not want to tag all my compilations with the same tag, because it would make them a nightmare to navigate.

Is it possible to change this behavior? I think if we follow the fb2k approach then the Compilation identifier is not needed at all. And from my perspective this would make things more practical and intuitive.

IME the most widely used tagging practice is to set Album Artist tag = Artist unless its a compilation album then set Album Artist = "Various Artists" or some other string thats consistently used.

Is your scheme as-is not working in the Library?

Hello Tim,

If you think it is a widely used practice, can you please, give me some links where it is described? Can you please, also mention any other software that uses the same approach?

Why tag non-VA albums with Album Artist? It does not add any new information to a non-VA album at all. The software shall use the Artist tag.

Why use a predefined tag (like Various Artists) when the presence of the Album Artist itself indicates that it is a compilation. It also simplifies the software implementation.

Unfortunately, because I have so many Album Artists in the library it is difficult for me to even create a list of them. I am also not sure if the field length is large enough to hold all values.

Note: my library (the same set of files) works perfectly with Plex and Kodi.

Please, read the detailed description Album Artist tag in this guide:

Foobar2000:Encouraged Tag Standards - Hydrogenaudio Knowledgebase

Thank you very much for your help.

The tagging strategy I mentioned is used by most moOde users and works perfectly to group all compilation albums under "Various Artists" or "Compilations" or "OTHER_STRING" in the Library.

I leave it up to you to search regarding this method. It's discussed on many audio forums.

Unfortunately, because there is no official ID3 standard tag to indicate that a track belongs to a compilation different approaches are taken by users and player software for example iTunes has its own proprietary tag for compilations.

If you like, zip up 2 of your compilation albums and email me a download link. I'll see if it might be possible to accommodate this particular compilation approach in the Library.

-Tim

Internet radio causing problems with my moode

I recently moved to a more permanent setup with my moode (rpi2/modi2) and have encountered issues with internet radio. When I put on a station it has several minor and major behaviors

Moode will stop playing the station after 5-20 minutes and I have to relaunch. I believe this is probably due to my high latency internet connect.

Changing between station becomes unresponsive, a reboot is sometimes ness

If I leave a station on and come back to the UI later it is locked requiring reboot.

Second 2 issues have only occurred since I moved from hdmi output to the modi2. At first I thought a power Hungary hard drive connected to usb was causing this issue but the issue continues with or without other things plugged into the usb bus. I have the usb fix and current toggled on.

I have a rpi zero w I could pop in to test but to be honest I’d like to have the rpi2 work properly, any help?

Yep that did it, powered hub and no more lockup...guess it’s time for a rpi4. Thanks for the help!

Or a higher current power supply may just solve it.

Many that claim to output 2.5 amps won't actually do so, or they can only do it by simultaneously sagging the voltage. You want some leeway there, maybe try a 3 amp or greater power supply, eg. Mean Well, or maybe a PWR+ etc...

UI Configuration

First, as a brand new user, please let me apologize for my complete idiocy regarding my complete inability to set the UI page appearance how I want it. I swear I've clicked every pertinent button; all does nothing.

My Web Browser UI appears like this; (pic 1)

I see on the Moode website several display modes, I'd like the one I've highlighted; (pic 2) Seems no matter what options I select, I always end up with a straight columnar list of every song on the USB stick, versus something like "album covers".

Media on the stick is organized as a subfolder for each artist's album.

Can someone please help me with the correct settings? Could there be something wrong with my install? The only options that seem to respond are the background and highlight colors.

Really appreciate any help I can get on this.

Attachments

• Moode.jpg
    Moode.jpg
    387.1 KB · Views: 307
  • Moode1.jpg
    Moode1.jpg
    547.3 KB · Views: 303
  • Moode3.jpg
    Moode3.jpg
    162.6 KB · Views: 313
Last edited:
I must be living on some distant planet and my presence on this green planet called Earth is only a hologram. I do not use any graphical front end for my Raspberry Pi based media player, but I use, the dreaded and loathed terminal. Most of the time, I do not even have X running (a graphical server for Linux). I found this arrangement economical on not requiring a continuous network connection, and more importantly, it does not force me to use a smartphone to access it. I use humble terminal programs like mpg123, mplayer, and sometimes, cvlc and if the latter does not work, I use a minimal Windows 95 looking window manager.

Well, witnessing all this eagerness for a web-interface to play music, I must say, I like the hold of all strings of my puppet.

First, as a brand new user, please let me apologize for my complete idiocy regarding my complete inability to set the UI page appearance how I want it. I swear I've clicked every pertinent button; all does nothing.

My Web Browser UI appears like this; (pic 1)

I see on the Moode website several display modes, I'd like the one I've highlighted; (pic 2) Seems no matter what options I select, I always end up with a straight columnar list of every song on the USB stick, versus something like "album covers".

Media on the stick is organized as a subfolder for each artist's album.

Can someone please help me with the correct settings? Could there be something wrong with my install? The only options that seem to respond are the background and highlight colors.

Really appreciate any help I can get on this.

Menu, Quick help

What a noob! Of course you click on the album picture to get to your Library. Thanks - I think I got it - I'll start sewing back in all those hairs now :)

A strange spirit flying 'round my efforts - AMP2 arrives with busted off boost capacitor in the +5V pi supply, metal case says delivered day before yesterday - nothing in my postbox.

I'll get it all sorted eventually - results are very nice so far as this project comes together. I appreciate your time.

Joe

I successfully added a couple of radio stations to my library - KNKX and KNKX Jazz 24.

On attempting to load the icons, it finds, loads and shows the new icon in the station editor, however upon save, the icon doesnt show up - just the MoOde TM default again.

I'm using Windows 7 with Firefox to link to the player. The icon file size is ~250k, jpeg. Just surprised it displays in the editor, then not in the library. No big deal for me, just curious how this could be and felt it worthwhile to report. Otherwise, nice player user experience upon finding my way around within! I'm happy to base my new 2nd system on this - I2S to a TAS amp sounds great!

Onto speaker response flattening using the available EQs!