Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Does Moode support hardware volume control with this DAC? Volumio does which was one of the attracting features but can't help but wonder if it is causing my problems. also volume has to be at 100% for DSD to work.

Forget HW Volume Control with KTB.

Their implementation is just a hack (last time I looked).

They don't use the Sabre DAC VC. That's why DSD VC won't work.
And that's the reason why not any OS can support it. Neither Volumio nor Moode.

And Khadas can't change it. It's a HW limitation. They can't access the Sabre chip registers via XMOS>>MCU>>Sabre .

Therefore I don't see any advantage of using the KTB HW VC.

Hi everyone,
Hope you don't mind me asking this. Not specifically related to Moode, butI think you guys can help.

I'd like to try to make a signal sensing switch using an arduino to turn on my amp once a signal stream is sent (play a song). The reason is that my amp has quite high idle power loss.

Is there some rpi pin that Moode sends a signal stream to that I can use as a trigger?

I have a KTB which is powered exernally directly to the GPIO pins. I am wondering whether it may be possible to connect the pi to the KTB via I2C pins for data and if this might open up some options from the pi's GPIO. Anyone tried something similar?

My brother can help with scripting etc.

Last edited:
Hello, I've been running Moode 6.5 & 6.7 on a Pi 3 B+ with Allo Boss Dac. This sounds great!

I now have an ip issue however. After rebooting with ethernet connected, I can't find the ip address anymore and Moode Wifi ap also doesn't show up anymore. This is with a factory reset router, only pw changed. After disconnecting the cable, ap showed up. Then connecting the cable again the ip address was available again.

Does somebody has a solution for this?

@WoVe

<< This is with a factory reset router, only pw changed. >>
Which 'password'...? Which application...? Mind you, after resetting your router to factory defaults the preset IP addresses that you may have had set up previously will be removed...

<< After disconnecting the cable, ap showed up. >>
Which 'ap'...?

If the home router is in perfect order and your devices are connected to the home network (preferably by LAN cable for an 'easy' access test) re-start the router once again; you should be able to access the router's setup by opening the router's control application via your favourite computer and scan (within the control application) your home network. All your devices will be shown and hopefully your RPi will be on the list ao you'll be able to use the published IP address after the scan.

I take it that you do not use the simple links << Nymeria >> or << Nymeria >> for accessing the RPi.

For scanning the IP addresses of your devices you can also use standalone applications which will need to be installed on the computer. You can find some indications and a list of IP scanners here:
How to Scan for Any Device IP Address on a Network With Tools - DNSstuff

I am also new to MoOde.

Just a HUGE thank you to Tim and the MoOde team for such an awesome product. I (as a noob) managed to get MoOde and Spotify Connect setup and running on my RPi 2B + HAT DAC this week (within a few hours) and I am absolutely ecstatic with the results.

I was running Volumio and BubbleUPnP before, streaming from Google Play Music. Two things forced me to find a different solution:
– Google dumped their Play Music and transferred accounts and playlists to You Tube Music. I cannot find software to stream from YTM and even if there is, I am no longer interested.
– I have new speakers in my system and they require EQ. Does not look like Volumio has a working EQ plugin anymore and even if they have, I am no longer interested. I still need to setup the EQ in MoOde, but at least there is Graphic and Parametric EQ to choose from. How awesome.

After dumping Volumio I first tried PiCorePlayer. What a nightmare to even understand all the jargon and terminology, and I could not figure out (after days of Googling) how to setup and stream from Spotify. I just got fedup and abandoned this project, knowing that MoOde was probably the best option since many members favor MoOde sound quality above other Pi players.

The Spotify / MoOde integration is so easy to setup and works so fantastic from my Andriod phone. I should have made the transition long ago. Thank you MoOde! :cheers:

Last edited:
many thanks Yatsushiro. i found and made some experiments with it. wanted to reduce 'roomble' because anyway, i cant change loudspeakers position. Results were good, but, lowering low frequencies gives less 'impact' to the sound, even if roomble is less. So parametric eq does it works good anyway. I decided to exclude everything and set to flat to enjoy the full sound anyway.

Hi, moOde 7.0.0 is available :)

Visit the Moode Forum for more information on this major release.
moOde 7.0.0 is available

Regards,
The moOde crew

Attachments

• moode-r700.png
    moode-r700.png
    359.3 KB · Views: 495
Hi MoOde users,

I just finished my new RPi streamer with Ian Canada parts, first tried Volumio
and later also MoOde, MoOde clearly sounds better to me :) but there are quite
a few setting / tweaking options within the MoOde setup that don't mean anything
to me and ask me wondering what the best settings are to get the most out of
this streamer in terms of sound quality?

My streamer setup,

Raspberry Pi 3B+ (LAN)
FIFOPI Q3 (Accusilicon clock's)
TRANSPORTPI (connected to my DAC via i2s)
LIFEPO4 MKIII
UCADAPTER
UCHYBRID Ultra Capacitor Conditioner Boards 3.3V
UCMATE CONDITIONER Ultra Capacitor Conditioner Board 5V
MAXWELL Supercapacitors 2.7V 325F (6X)
A123 26650 batteries

If with your pretty costly setup Moode still sounds better to you then Volumio,
assuming the same bits are send from A to B, you better get in touch
with Ian and ask for refund.

Why?

All what these super (HW) tweaks ( you can put these USB bridges on the list of super tweaks) are supposed to do is cleaning up the environment and shape the stream.
Usually no bit values get changed while doing it!

All I am saying. In a perfect world software configuration changes shouldn't have
any impact on the (perceived) soundquality.

Since most of us do have all but a perfect setup, different SW configurations did make and still make a slight difference. ( I couldn't listen to my KTB DAC without all my OS tweaks in place :p )
Your setup supposedly plays in a different league than most other setups out there though.
Advise:
Next time you start such a costly project ask for in-depth measurements first. ;)
It won't help much though. Your DIY solution will for sure measure differently.
And you'll never know how close to other best in class / reference setups you'd be. Anyhow. With reference measurements at hand you'd at least know about a ballpark.

With all that in mind, I'd simply go for a DAC that shows excellent performance ( have a look at the ASR reviews). My experience. The better the DAC the less impact you'll see from the OS. "better" doesn't mean more expensive nowadays. Better means isolating better from the upstream and environmental mess.
E.g. Have a look at the recent SMSL SU-9 review over at ASR. I doubt that you can achieve these kind of (industrial) performances with a DIY approach.

Anyhow.
You can tweak the Moode OS or better the underlying RPI-OS a little more of course. Still I'd suggest to talk to Ian first!

Good luck.

Enjoy.

...was using Moode exclusively until I bought HifiBerry DAC HD - and surprised found out that it is not supported in my belowed Moode. All othe HiFiberry producta are - so I wrote to HiFiBerry and they told me thez have been in contact but that Moode developer is not interested in providing support for this product.

So I am asking here - if anyone found a solution to this?

Thanks