Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

I dunno. It sounds like the issue is external to moOde software. Maybe some sort of hardware issue?

I had thought possibly the router could be an issue, but I already have a pi 3 model a running full time on the network without issues for over a year now. I've found some potential fixes I'll try, first on rune, if successful I'll try on Moode and then update any results.

@stefan66

Are you confident that your power supply is adequate for the Pi4, and doesn't drop below 5.0V at any time?

Since I used a dedicated Pi4 power supply, I don't think it's a pb power supply.
But it's an idea, I will do measurements next time.

And as it works with another dac (than the Boss) I think more of a pb wifi linked to the Boss.

@stefan66

Are you confident that your power supply is adequate for the Pi4, and doesn't drop below 5.0V at any time?

I've not tested it, it came from Allo as part of the package. A couple of things I can try, try with a separate power supply to the DAC and the other is to disable the internal WiFi adapter and use the dongle, I have no idea how to do that though any tips would be gratefully received.

My next post should give an idea as to what maybe the problem.

@stefan66

My advice has been based on your supplied information. So... from the SETUP GUIDE:

<< 1. CONFIGURE FOR WIFI CONNECTION
- Ethernet mode
a) Leave eth cable connected
b) Insert wifi adapter (while Pi running)
c) Nymeria
d) Menu, Configure, Network
e) Configure a wifi connection
f) Menu, Power, Shutdown
g) Unplug eth cable
h) Power on >>

and

<< AP mode starts automatically when:
(a) WiFi SSID is set to 'None' in Network config and there is no Ethernet connection
(b) WiFi SSID is defined but no IP address was assigned by DHCP. This typically
occurs when connection to the SSID fails. >>

Start the setup with a simple configuration and test it over a period time:
1. the RPi should not be installed (YET) in a case if it is made of metal
2. ethernet ONLY connection and NO HAT configured (audio OUT from RPi Headphone Out port)
3. configure the WiFi connect and test as above with several reboots
4. once the tests show positive results you can start introducing elements of your target configuration ONE BY ONE (case, HAT, etc)

I fail to see a config text requirement in the SETUP GUIDE indicated by moodeaudio.org ( moode/setup.txt at master * moode-player/moode * GitHub )

~~~ unfortunately we're at the tail end of a cyclone and no electricity ~~~
This fact complicates your attempt to get a correct configuration of your RPi/Boss HAT combo and I am sorry to hear about this...

Right, I had a go at setting up as per your suggestions.

1) only the pi connected via ethernet, configure WiFi and reboot. Success the WiFi works as it should and the pi works via th GUI without issue.

2) I add the DAC to the GUI i2s selection, reboot and again no problems, working as expected.

3) power down and physically attach the DAC, power up and nothing, switch off add the ethernet cable, power on, wait and the AP is available despite my router showing up normally. Power down, remove the DAC, power up without the DAC and it's working as expected.

Now I feel something maybe wrong with the DAC, this batch was only manufactured last week after lockdown restrictions were eased.

I'll try with a separate PSU to the DAC now and see from there.

... sounds like a job well done. You'll also probably find that using separate PSU's for RPi and DAC will provide better SQ...

My joy was short lived, I hooked it up to my system last night with a 1 amp PSU for the DAC instead of the 2 amp PSU I was testing with, it went straight back to AP mode, looks like I'll need to rewrite the SD card.

I'll try again, this time before adding the DAC I'll try setting up a static IP address for the pi. If that doesn't work I'll get in touch with Allo, maybe the DAC has a fault.