Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Hi,

moOde release 4.0 is available at moodeaudio.org. The download includes moOde 4.0 Sources and a Build Recipe for making the custom Linux OS that runs moOde. An automated OS Image Builder is available in the Support section.

Great, many thanks, Tim!

I take it this is not an in-place upgrade from the Betas but will require a new build?

Richard

moOde release 4.0 is available at moodeaudio.org. The download includes moOde 4.0 Sources and a Build Recipe for making the custom Linux OS that runs moOde. An automated OS Image Builder is available in the Support section.

Hi Tim,
Great work!
The image builder makes it easy and works perfect.

--
tonno

Attachments

• moode4final.jpg
    moode4final.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 389
Thanks, but how is this different? Now I‘m streaming from the ipad via upnp, but still via wifi, or am I misinterpreting things?

Ummm, first you need to understand UPnP and the three components we use for audio: UPnP media server, UPnP media renderer, and UPnP control point (see, for example, the diagram at https://www.lesbonscomptes.com/upmpdcli/).

I take it you are currently using your iPad as a proxy media server for Tidal. This means the streaming audio goes from the Tidal media server to your iPad to moOde.

The configuration I outlined uses moOde as the proxy media server. This means the streaming audio goes directly from the Tidal server to moOde. Yes, ethernet or wifi are still involved but not as many hops. Further, in the latter configuration, moOde will continue to play a Tidal playlist even if you turn off your iPad. No so if your iPad is streaming to moOde.

Regards,
Kent

I tried the Image Builder and when it gets to the part that wants to power off the Pi, it doesn't pickup where it left off when the Pi restarts.

I tried to build from the build recipe, but when I get to Step 2, part 3, the build recipe wants to download beta 12 instead of the final release.

Any thoughts what I am doing wrong. I tried removing "beta" from the download path and also changed the filename to r40.zip, but that didn't seem to work either.

Thanks,
Gary

First time silly questions

Hi, I would like to try out Moode, but have a few questions which i wasnt able to find answers on the thread.
I am trying to use it with an Allo DigiOne board and would like to use Minimserver as the server, ideally on the same Pi 2B.
I have a memory card and usb adaptor ready.

1. Will the builder run on any version of Raspbian or does it require stretch? I assume it will not modify the current o/s.
2. Does the card need to be formatted any particular way?
3. I assume at the end of the process I could then install java and Minimserver on the new o/s?

Thanks in advance for any answers / comments

Tim..this new version is such a massive leap forward. !!

Not only has sq improved but the UI customisation options are just superb.!

Only problem I am having so far so far is images not showing for the stock radio streams.... am I missing a setting...?

Great how the 'add/play/etc' options now appear left instead of having to mouse/swipe right

Attachments

• moode1.jpg
    moode1.jpg
    88 KB · Views: 348
I tried the Image Builder and when it gets to the part that wants to power off the Pi, it doesn't pickup where it left off when the Pi restarts.

I tried to build from the build recipe, but when I get to Step 2, part 3, the build recipe wants to download beta 12 instead of the final release.

Any thoughts what I am doing wrong. I tried removing "beta" from the download path and also changed the filename to r40.zip, but that didn't seem to work either.

Thanks,
Gary

Hi Gary,

Can you provide some more context: "it doesn't pickup where it left off when the Pi restarts" ??

Super thanks for finding the typo-bug in the build recipe :) I've uploaded corrected recipe 2.3 file and rel-stretch-r40 zip which also contains the file.

Refresh browser to get the updated links.

-TIm

Tim..this new version is such a massive leap forward. !!

Not only has sq improved but the UI customisation options are just superb.!

Only problem I am having so far so far is images not showing for the stock radio streams.... am I missing a setting...?

Great how the 'add/play/etc' options now appear left instead of having to mouse/swipe right

Hi Bob,

Odd about the radio covers, theres no setting :-0 Email me /var/log/moode.log and I'll have a look.

Cred to @swizzle for the incredible UI :)

-Tim

Not happy at all....
I've done the whole procedure now already two times. Took me each time more than an hour to finish. One time I did it by overwriting the original Rasbian SD and the second time I wrote it on a separate µSD...
Both times, the result is soooooo slow....It takes forever to modify a parameter. Even waiting more than 5 minutes to adapt something in the config, and even then, it sometimes still hasn't done it....Keeps saying "Waiting on xxx.xxx.xxx.xxx)So, like I said, not happy at all....

Johan

Hi, I would like to try out Moode, but have a few questions which i wasnt able to find answers on the thread.
I am trying to use it with an Allo DigiOne board and would like to use Minimserver as the server, ideally on the same Pi 2B.
I have a memory card and usb adaptor ready.

1. Will the builder run on any version of Raspbian or does it require stretch? I assume it will not modify the current o/s.
2. Does the card need to be formatted any particular way?
3. I assume at the end of the process I could then install java and Minimserver on the new o/s?

Thanks in advance for any answers / comments

@BushAl

What do you mean by "the server"? Music files on local storage are automagically scanned by moOde. Note that moOde can act as a server to other devices.

1. The instructions for the moOde Image Builder are quite specific:
Enter the cmds below via SSH on a Pi running Raspbian Stretch Lite release 2017-11-29.
NOTE: No other release is guaranteed to work.

That's not to say people haven't managed to build moOde in other configurations, but you're on your own if you try.

2. The act of burning raspbian stretch lite to a uSD/SD card formats the card with a small fat32 msdos partition and larger ext4 Linux partition. I use Etcher to burn my cards and recommend it highly.

3. haven't tried but I suppose you could if you really feel the need. I'm running MinimumServer in Linux Mint on my laptop.

Regards,
Kent

Hi Gary,

Can you provide some more context: "it doesn't pickup where it left off when the Pi restarts" ??

Super thanks for finding the typo-bug in the build recipe :) I've uploaded corrected recipe 2.3 file and rel-stretch-r40 zip which also contains the file.

Refresh browser to get the updated links.

-TIm

Sure Tim,
When I run the commands in this script:
1. Download the Image Builder cd /home/pi sudo wget -q http://moodeaudio.org/downloads/mos/mosbuild.sh -O /home/pi/mosbuild.sh sudo chmod +x /home/pi/mosbuild.sh 2. Start the Image Builder sudo ./mosbuild.sh

When Step 2 runs (via ssh), I get
"write to sdcard" Y
"have backup" Y
"use proxy" N
"use wifi" N
"proceed with build" Y
"power off pi" Y

At this point, the Pi doesn't actually power off...I have to manually cycle the power. When the Pi comes back up, it just sits at a login prompt but doesn't continue the build process.
I am using a freshly installed Stretch-Lite-11-29 image.

Let me know if I can provide any other info,
Gary

@Big G

At this point, the Pi doesn't actually power off...I have to manually cycle the power. When the Pi comes back up, it just sits at a login prompt but doesn't continue the build process.

Yes, normal.. the build happens but you need to login to see it. login changes after that first poweroff and the password is then 'moodeaudio'.
once logged in run...
Code:
mosbrief
for an update on the build.... when it finishes it will show
Code:
 END

The pi reboots several times so you will have to log in often and check for END or just wait an hour or two then log in to check for END.

@Big G

Yes, normal.. the build happens but you need to login to see it. login changes after that first poweroff and the password is then 'moodeaudio'.
once logged in run...
Code:
mosbrief
for an update on the build.... when it finishes it will show
Code:
 END

The pi reboots several times so you will have to log in often and check for END or just wait an hour or two then log in to check for END.

Thanks Drone7,
I will give it another try....maybe I just didn't give it enough time to finish the process. I will report back once it completes.

Gary

Hi Tim,

Just playing with 4.0 and so far it is amazing. Build went perfectly the first time.

I like the new library layout...pointed out some tagging errors :eek:

The UI is very clean, great choice of font. It all looks more modern.

One question regarding the library. If an artist has more than one album there is no artwork displayed. Is that as designed?

Cheers!

Hi,

I'm finishing off some very nice UX improvements for the Pi 7" Touch ...

-Tim

Oh, thank you for doing this. Just last night I jumped into the code on my Beta build and reconfigured it as best I could to work on my two 7" screens. I am confident what you will do is better than what I came up with.

I will now try the new version.

eala

Last edited:
Thanks Drone7,
I will give it another try....maybe I just didn't give it enough time to finish the process. I will report back once it completes.

Gary

Image Builder is working.....its up to component 6 now.....since I didn't see anything on the screen, I assumed it wasn't doing anything, but as Drone7 mentioned, typing mosbrief shows the progress.

Thanks again,
Gary

One question regarding the library. If an artist has more than one album there is no artwork displayed. Is that as designed?
That's how it's always been afaik, the idea is you can tap the default image to play/add all the albums. It could default to showing the first album but then you lose the ability to do actions that affect all of the albums. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯