Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Great!

I'll attempt a zero-config option that, theoretically, could bypass any need of user name and password. After the test, I'll mail a set of instructions. Probably no files other than what can be get with wget from github repos.

For the ON/OFF, probably the server running in port 4000 would be the easiest way. It exposes a /status route that reports on off. Is your implementation based on checking for this periodically with timeouts or are you hooked to listeners from other sources?

What is completely lacking from me at this point is any sort of error checking.

I'll contact you soon. Thanks as always ,
Rafa.

Last edited:
very pleased with setup

Hi All,

Just installed Moode Audio v3.1 on my setup today and it is working perfectly! not a single problem!
Thanks Tim and others for making this happen. The whole setup (hardware + software+ config, etc) took 3 hours. Was not expecting such fast setup, really.

I needed something to listen music on headphones without powering music server, audio system etc. I come up with following:
1. Headless Raspberry Pi3 connected to LAN with Moode V3.1
2. HiFiBerry Digi+Pro Spdif out card
3. HIFIBerry plastic box
3. Fiio D03K DAC ($19.00 from PE. Right now using stock switching usb power supply for DAC, will report if analog one makes any difference.)
4. Custom tube headphone amp (described Here)
5. Audiotechnica ATH-M50 headphones.
6. NAS using RPI2.

Again, very happy!

Franz, can you share what you wrote on the form? I didn't hear any reply back. I'm using someone else's key! :(

Perhaps I misunderstood the questions? Thanks,
Best regards,
Rafa.

These are my answers in the Spotify app key request form:

Describe your integration: Integration with Moode using python
List the Spotify technology/ies used in your integration: Fornoth/spotify-connect-web

But I am afraid it was not enough.... I haven't received anything!
So I'm now streaming using AIrplay (shairport-sync)

franz

Hi All,

Just installed Moode Audio v3.1 on my setup today and it is working perfectly! not a single problem!
Thanks Tim and others for making this happen. The whole setup (hardware + software+ config, etc) took 3 hours. Was not expecting such fast setup, really.

I needed something to listen music on headphones without powering music server, audio system etc. I come up with following:
1. Headless Raspberry Pi3 connected to LAN with Moode V3.1
2. HiFiBerry Digi+Pro Spdif out card
3. HIFIBerry plastic box
3. Fiio D03K DAC ($19.00 from PE. Right now using stock switching usb power supply for DAC, will report if analog one makes any difference.)
4. Custom tube headphone amp (described Here)
5. Audiotechnica ATH-M50 headphones.
6. NAS using RPI2.

Again, very happy!

Hi,

Are u running a particular NAS OS on your Pi NAS?

I recently switched to using Pi as NAS. I'm just running moodeOS / Samba but it works great for serving audio files.

-Tim

Hi,

Are u running a particular NAS OS on your Pi NAS?

I recently switched to using Pi as NAS. I'm just running moodeOS / Samba but it works great for serving audio files.

-Tim

Hi Tim,

Not at all. It is standard Debian RPI 2 (two years old now). I installed Samba on it.
I believe I used this link for instructions:
How to Turn a Raspberry Pi into a Low-Power Network Storage Device

Cool thing is that I am using same NAS for both video and audio. No problem for streaming HD video at all.

Another cool thing is to use HDD usb docks, so that you can remove and swap HDs easily. Also the dock I am using is great as HD duplicator.
It is Vantec NexStar NST-DP100S3
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...&cm_re=hard_drive_dock-_-17-392-063-_-Product

Hi Tim,

Not at all. It is standard Debian RPI 2 (two years old now). I installed Samba on it.
I believe I used this link for instructions:
How to Turn a Raspberry Pi into a Low-Power Network Storage Device

Cool thing is that I am using same NAS for both video and audio. No problem for streaming HD video at all.

Another cool thing is to use HDD usb docks, so that you can remove and swap HDs easily. Also the dock I am using is great as HD duplicator.
It is Vantec NexStar NST-DP100S3
https://www.newegg.com/Product/Prod...&cm_re=hard_drive_dock-_-17-392-063-_-Product

Hi Irakli,

Those docks are really nice. I went the minimalist route and just plugged in an SSD powered by USB port. exFAT file system.

-Tim

Errg. I'm in GB and wanted to make use of wifi channel 13 to avoid congestion from neighbours. (London wifi is very crowded.) I followed instructions at
and after "sudo BRANCH=next rpi-update" I think possibly it's bricked. :headbash:

Has anyone here got wifi channel 13 working (where permitted)?

Hi, stardev

It's curious to me that the Raspberry Pi was conceived and realized in the UK, yet production Raspbian doesn't support the full WiFi channel set.

Maybe Zootalaws has this sorted, nudge nudge.

[I started off writing a rambling essay about the subtleties of Raspbian vs moodeOS and the uncharted shoals one can sail into using rpi-update, but this isn't the place.]

Regards,
Kent

Folder for radio stations logos ?

Hello Tim and all !

First of all, thanks for the fantastic and continuous work on MoodeAudio! Contribution made :2c::2c::2c:;)
I have a quick question, couldn't find the answer despite extensive reading of this thread : I have added some radio streams that do not broadcast their logo, how can I add a logo ? I looked for a logo stations folder but couldn't find it...
Greetings from southern France!
Alec

Last edited:
Moode 3.1 on a Pi3, USB connected to SMSL Q5 Pro

Hello
I have just installed Moode 3.1 on a Pi3, USB connected to a SMSL Q5 Pro digital amplifier, for my bedroom.

MPD settings:
Audio device - USB audio device
Volume control - disabled
Resampling - disabled
Sample rate coverter: Sox:High Quality
Gapless mp3 layback - yes
DSD over PCM - yes
Volume normalization - no
ReplayGain - off

Music served by MyCloud 3TB nas and Tidal HiFi streaming via BubbleUPnP.

ALSO tried Moode 3.1 Squeezelite with my SMSL Q5 Pro amplifier.
ALSA params settings: 80:4:: for best results.

Working like a charm. Thank you for very good work. Greetings from Norway.

Hello Tim and all !

First of all, thanks for the fantastic and continuous work on MoodeAudio! Contribution made :2c::2c::2c:;)
I have a quick question, couldn't find the answer despite extensive reading of this thread : I have added some radio streams that do not broadcast their logo, how can I add a logo ? I looked for a logo stations folder but couldn't find it...
Greetings from southern France!
Alec

Hi, Alec.

[note added as an edit: I'm speaking of Release 3.1

This was a puzzler for me too when I joined this forum a year ago. The answer turns out to be complicated. Moode Audio Player (MAP) has information about radio stations stored in three places:

1. a playlist file in .pls format, stored in /var/www/mpdmusic/RADIO.

2. (possibly) an entry in the cfg_radio table of the sqlite3 database, stored in /var/www/db/player.db. Among other things, this entry tells MAP where to look for a station's logo.

3. (possibly) a logo icon file in .png format, stored in /var/www/images/radio-logos

As you've discovered, the existence of a playlist file is sufficient for MAP to play a station, albeit without a station logo. I assume you are using the "Create new station" command in MAP's Browse/RADIO panel, but it also can be created/copied directly from the moodeOS command line.

The existence of a playlist file along with a corresponding cfg_radio entry can be sufficient for MAP to play a station and also display its logo. However, this is true only for those stations which have provided a persistent link to a suitable logo icon file. (The SOMA-FM stations are a great example. If you like them, support them!) The link is stored in the cfg_radio entry. MAP then accesses the logo icon file via the Internet link.

Sadly, most stations don't provide a persistent link or even a suitable logo icon file. In this case, a suitable logo icon file has to be created and stored locally in radio-logos. (I've downloaded, hand edited, and submitted a half dozen to Tim; I know the pain firsthand). Without a corresponding cfg_radio entry containing the link to it, however, MAP doesn't know how to find it.

If you are conversant in Linux and in sqlite3, then from the command line you can pretty quickly figure out how to create and add the new cfg_radio entry. Most folks choose to submit their favorite .pls and .png files to Tim and wait for them to be folded into the next update. Even if you can do it yourself, your custom addition likely get overwritten by the next software update.

I'll save my musings about possible changes to MAP to mitigate this issue for another time.

Regards,
Kent

Last edited:
Hi, Alec.

This was a puzzler for me too when I joined this forum a year ago. The answer turns out to be complicated. Moode Audio Player (MAP) has information about radio stations stored in three places:

1. a playlist file in .pls format, stored in /var/www/mpdmusic/RADIO.

2. (possibly) an entry in the cfg_radio table of the sqlite3 database, stored in /var/www/db/player.db. Among other things, this entry tells MAP where to look for a station's logo.

3. (possibly) a logo icon file in .png format, stored in /var/www/images/radio-logos

As you've discovered, the existence of a playlist file is sufficient for MAP to play a station, albeit without a station logo. I assume you are using the "Create new station" command in MAP's Browse/RADIO panel, but it also can be created/copied directly from the moodeOS command line.

The existence of a playlist file along with a corresponding cfg_radio entry can be sufficient for MAP to play a station and also display its logo. However, this is true only for those stations which have provided a persistent link to a suitable logo icon file. (The SOMA-FM stations are a great example. If you like them, support them!) The link is stored in the cfg_radio entry. MAP then accesses the logo icon file via the Internet link.

Sadly, most stations don't provide a persistent link or even a suitable logo icon file. In this case, a suitable logo icon file has to be created and stored locally in radio-logos. (I've downloaded, hand edited, and submitted a half dozen to Tim; I know the pain firsthand). Without a corresponding cfg_radio entry containing the link to it, however, MAP doesn't know how to find it.

If you are conversant in Linux and in sqlite3, then from the command line you can pretty quickly figure out how to create and add the new cfg_radio entry. Most folks choose to submit their favorite .pls and .png files to Tim and wait for them to be folded into the next update. Even if you can do it yourself, your custom addition likely get overwritten by the next software update.

I'll save my musings about possible changes to MAP to mitigate this issue for another time.

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent,

Couple of constraints drive the design of the radio station feature in Moode.

- Stations don't transmit logo images in their metadata.
- MPD does not maintain the name of the station pls file when it initiates playback. It only provides the station url.

Thus there is a sql table keyed by station url that makes the following possible:

- logo display from either local image file or url
- auto-update of station url from permalink
- uniform station name in Browse, Playlist and in metadata underneath the station logo.

-Tim

Hi, Alec.

In rereading my previous post, I realized I glossed over a complicating factor here. There isn't necessarily a one-to-one correspondence between the station logo icon files present and the station .pls files, nor do their basenames need be identical. It's only necessary that there be a suitable logo icon file.

I won't use up more bandwidth about the subject now. The diyaudio.com is being particularly unresponsive here in Maryland.

Regards,
Kent

In rereading my previous post, I realized I glossed over a complicating factor here. There isn't necessarily a one-to-one correspondence between the station logo icon files present and the station .pls files, nor do their basenames need be identical. It's only necessary that there be a suitable logo icon file.

I won't use up more bandwidth about the subject now. The diyaudio.com is being particularly unresponsive here in Maryland.

Regards,
Kent

Hi Kent,

Station logo and pls file have same base name.

The Jazz Groove.pls
The Jazz Groove.png

-Tim

Hi Kent,

Couple of constraints drive the design of the radio station feature in Moode.

- Stations don't transmit logo images in their metadata.
- MPD does not maintain the name of the station pls file when it initiates playback. It only provides the station url.

Thus there is a sql table keyed by station url that makes the following possible:

- logo display from either local image file or url
- auto-update of station url from permalink
- uniform station name in Browse, Playlist and in metadata underneath the station logo.

-Tim

Hi, Tim. Thanks for following up in your usual concise style.

I totally get that many design decisions have been driven by what mpd does and I didn't mean my screed to be a criticism. Unfortunately, the paragraph in which I tried to say this somehow got elided when I was having trouble (and still am) with diyaudio.com today. My bad.

I've been noodling since dinner on a helper script which would allow me to upload a .pls and .png file combo, salt them in the right places, and create an sql INSERT statement to update the sql_radio entry. It certainly wouldn't cover all possible cases but it would scratch my itch.

I like the use of a database. Your point that it makes possible the auto-update of station url from permalink, is one I overlooked. Sweet.

Regards,
Kent

Hello friends!

So, as offered, I have made a simple set of instructions in how to get Spotify Connect working inside Moode. You can find them on a GitHub repo I created in the hopes to get feedback in the issues section, and also to be able to expand on it accordingly:

https://github.com/RafaPolit/moode-spotify-connect-web

These are very rudimentary and a first attemp, so be gentle and report any issues, we will build it together! I'm also attaching a Spotify authorization key (@franz159 maybe this can help you a bit?) that is distributed openly in other GitHub projects (disclamer: it is not mine).

The interesting part is that these instructions set up a multiuser environment, so no need to 'bind' the service to one account. It works with multiple accounts. I have tested it with mine and my wife's, and it works perfectly. It takes perhaps just 5 seconds to 'switch' from one account to the other, but it works if you are patient. If not, just switch to playing back from the device and then back to "moOde Connect" and it should work!

Hope this helps others.

@Tim, there are a couple of pointers in there of what I think could be useful info to integrate into moOde, the great advantage now is that it requires absolutely no prior configuration other than saying 'enable'? Let me know if this is somewhat useful or if there needs to be a lot more research and some development on my side to integrate this into moOde (if there is even interest in this or the time to do it!) Thanks as always for this incredible piece of software you have given us.

Best regards,
Rafa.

Hello friends!

So, as offered, I have made a simple set of instructions in how to get Spotify Connect working inside Moode. You can find them on a GitHub repo I created in the hopes to get feedback in the issues section, and also to be able to expand on it accordingly:

These are very rudimentary and a first attemp, so be gentle and report any issues, we will build it together! I'm also attaching a Spotify authorization key (@franz159 maybe this can help you a bit?) that is distributed openly in other GitHub projects (disclamer: it is not mine).

The interesting part is that these instructions set up a multiuser environment, so no need to 'bind' the service to one account. It works with multiple accounts. I have tested it with mine and my wife's, and it works perfectly. It takes perhaps just 5 seconds to 'switch' from one account to the other, but it works if you are patient. If not, just switch to playing back from the device and then back to "moOde Connect" and it should work!

Hope this helps others.

@Tim, there are a couple of pointers in there of what I think could be useful info to integrate into moOde, the great advantage now is that it requires absolutely no prior configuration other than saying 'enable'? Let me know if this is somewhat useful or if there needs to be a lot more research and some development on my side to integrate this into moOde (if there is even interest in this or the time to do it!) Thanks as always for this incredible piece of software you have given us.

Best regards,
Rafa.

Great job!
I will be away for work for some time, so I'm not sure when I will be able to test, but I will report back as soon as I can... Thanks

Hello friends!

Hope this helps others.

Best regards,
Rafa.

Hi Rafa,

Thanks, much appreciated :) I'll add to the TODO list. It might be possible to inject Status and Metadata into the UI via a polling engine.

How is volume handled in Spotify Connect?

I assume the client sends volume cmds to Spotify Connect server which interfaces to ALSA directly, overriding Moode/MPD volume setting.

-Tim

Hi Tim,

Is there an "HTTP API" for use with external control ?
I'd like ton control moode from another pi...

For example :
I'd like to stop the music from an external application by fetching this ulr :
http://moode/external.php?cmd=stop
Or set the volume by fetching thir url :
http://moode/external.php?setvolume=100
Or set a webradio by this url :
http://moode/external.php?setstream=http://urlwebradio

Hi,

There is a command processor that will run .sh or .php file located in /var/www

http://moode/command?cmd=

Take a look at /var/www/vol.sh or vol.php as examples.

http://moode/command?cmd=vol.sh 10
http://moode/command?cmd=vol.sh up 5
http://moode/command?cmd=vol.sh dn 5
http://moode/command?cmd=vol.sh mute (toggles the mute state)

-Tim