Moode Audio Player for Raspberry Pi

Minidlna supports inotify but that's not without its own problems - would work on local filesystems but not sure if it would work against a NAS mount.

Hi Phil,

I read through the docs and it appears there is a Rebuild function but no Rescan, and the live-update feature is implemented by attaching an inotify to EVERY folder in the collection. That seems messy...

I think I'm going to have to stick with manual rebuild of the db. I can make it a bit more convenient by adding a "rebuild" button to Sys config, or possibly auto-run the rebuild whenever mpd db update happens.

Reference
https://wiki.archlinux.org/index.php/ReadyMedia

Regards,
Tim

The onboard DAC, as I mentioned. But I think the DAC choices in moOde differ on Henry's image for the RPi 3 and the image I was using on the RPi 1 B rev 2. The selection I used for the RPi 1 said something like "onboard sound" (I can't look, because as I mentioned, that installation corrupted) while there is no such choice on Henry's image. There I found RPi-DAC and tried that. The log you mentioned checking showed errors, so before I posted, I switched it to None, and voila, sound works!

Thanks, Zootalaws.

Oh, and I neglected to thank Henry for the image!

Rick

No worries.

Well, this is a new one. Now that Henry and Zootalaws helped lead the way to get the RPi 3 working, I connected moOde to my SMB music server and things were fine...until I rebooted. After reboot, moOde can't connect to the music server. The Configure|Sources screen shows a red X for the share and the error is

"Last mount error
mount error(101): Network is unreachable Refer to the mount.cifs(8) manual page (e.g. man mount.cifs)."

If I re-save the mount without changing anything, all is well (green checkmark).

It appears there is some race condition on startup with the RPi 3 (I didn't see this on the RPi 1 B rev 2) between network availability and mounting the share. Is there a workaround for this?

Rick

I'm nowhere near my moode device so can't check.

If the mount option in /etc/fstab is auto, try changing it to _netdev and rebooting.

I'm guessing that it is trying to mount your SMB share before the network stack is fully initialised.

Cheers,

Phil

Last edited:
Hmmm. I need to see where that log sits.

But this does give me another idea. I had planned to set up static IPs for the RPis at some point. If DHCP is the culprit, maybe that would sidestep the issue for my setup (although not directly addressing the issue).

(Several eventual changes are waiting to see if the SD card corrupts on the RPi 3 like has happened multiple times with the RPi 1).
Rick

Last edited:
But this does give me another idea. I had planned to set up static IPs for the RPis at some point. If DHCP is the culprit, maybe that would sidestep the issue for my setup (although not directly addressing the issue).
Well, a static IP does appear to allow the NAS to mount early enough for moOde on the RPi 3. (Again, not really a solution, just a workaround.)

However, this seems to break zeroconf, so http://moode doesn't find the interface.

Rick

Yesterday I had some "fun" playing with a chi-clone I2S card. (Actually nothing to do with the card but amazing how depressed you can get thinking your latest add-on has burnt out your pi!!!!).

Essentially, the Pi3 boots on OpenELEC 6.0.3 but not on MoOde 2.5.

Trying the MoOde uSD card nets me 4 long flashes and 4 short flashes of the green LED.

Most doc seems to indicate (8 flashes) my SDRAM is broke (t'isn't :) ) or that the "firmware" part of the boot isn't up to date.

If I knew more I might be tempted to create a Franken uSD card using aspects of the OpenELEC boot... But I feel that's asking for more trouble at my level of armchair tinkering.

I wasn't particularly impressed with the packaging of the DAC BTW.... A plastic packet with some bubble wrap and an anti-static bag doesn't inspire confidence in the integrity of the item. By contrat, both of the TPA3116s I ordered arrived in foamed cardboard boxes, within padded packets. And both were cheaper!!!

J.

Yesterday I had some "fun" playing with a chi-clone I2S card. (Actually nothing to do with the card but amazing how depressed you can get thinking your latest add-on has burnt out your pi!!!!).

Essentially, the Pi3 boots on OpenELEC 6.0.3 but not on MoOde 2.5.

Trying the MoOde uSD card nets me 4 long flashes and 4 short flashes of the green LED.

Most doc seems to indicate (8 flashes) my SDRAM is broke (t'isn't :) ) or that the "firmware" part of the boot isn't up to date.

If I knew more I might be tempted to create a Franken uSD card using aspects of the OpenELEC boot... But I feel that's asking for more trouble at my level of armchair tinkering.

I wasn't particularly impressed with the packaging of the DAC BTW.... A plastic packet with some bubble wrap and an anti-static bag doesn't inspire confidence in the integrity of the item. By contrat, both of the TPA3116s I ordered arrived in foamed cardboard boxes, within padded packets. And both were cheaper!!!

J.
moOde 2.5 is not ready for rpi3. Tim will provide the 2.6 quite soon. Until then you can use the image you find here which is 2.5 modified with the needed files for rpi3. Or you can modify yourself with the gz-files also can find in the same folder.

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/x66b3we8xo5xi7g/AACkKxugYwtGqDCxAg4RVYi3a?dl=0

Last edited:
Hi,

A few more screen shots of Moode 2.6 and moodeOS 1.0.

A convenience setting has been added to System config to Rebuild the DLNA database, the startup log has a bit more detail and I'm thinking of including a stereo test file. Still waiting for raspberrypi.org to release official methods for disabling Pi-3 integrated WiFi/BT adapters. This is to support usage scenarios where only ethernet is used or where user supplied wifi adapter is used.

Regards,
Tim

Attachments

• moode-r26-about.png
    moode-r26-about.png
    584.7 KB · Views: 334
  • moode-r26-dlna-rebuild1.png
    moode-r26-dlna-rebuild1.png
    191.3 KB · Views: 326
  • moode-r26-dlna-rebuild2.png
    moode-r26-dlna-rebuild2.png
    176.9 KB · Views: 314
  • moode-r26-moodelog.png
    moode-r26-moodelog.png
    470.6 KB · Views: 311
  • moode-r26-stereo-test1.png
    moode-r26-stereo-test1.png
    361.1 KB · Views: 323
  • moode-r26-stereo-test2.png
    moode-r26-stereo-test2.png
    85.3 KB · Views: 142
Hi,

A few more screen shots of Moode 2.6 and moodeOS 1.0.

A convenience setting has been added to System config to Rebuild the DLNA database, the startup log has a bit more detail and I'm thinking of including a stereo test file. Still waiting for raspberrypi.org to release official methods for disabling Pi-3 integrated WiFi/BT adapters. This is to support usage scenarios where only ethernet is used or where user supplied wifi adapter is used.

Regards,
Tim

Looking really good. If you need a beta tester just let me know.

BR / Fernando

Great idea. Are there any other test files that could be useful also? Most will take up very little space anyway especially if they're okay with being lossy encodes.

Maybe a file of silence (or a very quiet signal) for checking for any hum/interference?

You can download some interesting test tones here:

Sound Tests and Audio Test Tones

It's definately not a ground loop - it's not a low frequency hum, and it's not there when the music stops playing. It's a higher frequency buzz, and only there when you play music.

Thoughts, ideas welcomed.

I think I have a similar problem with my new home-built Pi-i2S DAC-Moode-TPA3116 all-in-one box.

Try playing one of the radio stations (try one of the audiophile or classical stations) and see if the buzz is still there. (You may have to remove the hard drive though).

I get buzz when I play from a USB stick, but not with the radio, even if the USB stick is still plugged in. I think the USB is grounding against the case or something which I will have to fix.

Recently I ran into an artifact on my setup. I'm using a Raspberry Pi 2 with Audiophonics ES9023 DAC (the one with on-board TCXO clock), no hardware volume control, software volume control disabled. I hear a bad cracking sound in one particular music file. I opened a topic about it here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/289683-artifact-music-source-player.html
As you can read there I found a (temporary?) solution: manually enabled replaygain.
Just posting here as well hoping anyone have any other comments about this issue or maybe others find it useful.

Edit: manually enabling replaygain: I added the line 'replaygain "album"' to /etc/mpd.conf

Last edited:
Recently I ran into an artifact on my setup. I'm using a Raspberry Pi 2 with Audiophonics ES9023 DAC (the one with on-board TCXO clock), no hardware volume control, software volume control disabled. I hear a bad cracking sound in one particular music file. I opened a topic about it here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/everything-else/289683-artifact-music-source-player.html
As you can read there I found a (temporary?) solution: manually enabled replaygain.
Just posting here as well hoping anyone have any other comments about this issue or maybe others find it useful.

Edit: manually enabling replaygain: I added the line 'replaygain "album"' to /etc/mpd.conf

Hi,

I just tested the file with JDS Labs ODAC (USB) and IQaudIO Pi-DAC+ (I2S) using MPD volume = disabled. I really cranked up the volume on the audio system and could not hear any glitches whatsoever. Vocals were perfectly clear.

It's odd that the symptoms only occur with one file. This would suggests an issue with the file however it could also be that some characteristic of the audio encoding is triggering a bug in the audio software or maybe causing the particular DAC to clip.

I'm testing with Moode 2.6 which uses MPD 0.19.14 and Linux kernel 4.1.19. What ver of Moode are u using?

-Tim