Modulus-86 build thread

Here's the model# and data page:
NC3FD-L-B-1 - Neutrik

We had quite the discussion about XLRs earlier in this thread :)

Soldering does offer the better connection but I've found that using quick disconnect terminals are pretty handy in the long term when building projects that are comprised of several sub-assemblies. You never know when you'll want to reuse/repurpose something and I dislike desoldering.

Remaining parts finally arrived so I've finished the boards. I hooked the Power86 up to the variac and measured the voltage as instructed in Tom's guide. 35v both sides. The variac has no earth connector so I've just got L and N going to my fused (1 amp) power socket on the back of the case. Instructions for testing the Modulus 86 boards indicate there should be a ground connection.
Is this essential for testing purposes?
Is it OK to connect the amp boards to the Power86 one at a time so I can check each board individually in the first instance?

If ground is essential for testing then I suppose I could find a point on the variac case and connect this to earth on the input socket - would this be OK?

Thanks, Ian

Audio does not need a Safety Earth.
Look at all your double insulated audio equipment. Look at all your plastic cased audio equipment. Look at all the battery powered audio equipment. None of these require a Safety Earth to operate properly.

The Safety Earth is there only for safety. The Third wire is the Protective Earth and it must be permanently connected to the Chassis. If there is no chassis, then connect it to the biggest chunk of metal in the assembly.

OK, according to Tom's construction guide:

From the mains inlet connector, the ground connection goes directly to the metal
chassis with as short a wire as possible. From there, a wire connects to the GND
terminal on the Power-86 board (J1, pin 6).

I think ! understand the difference between ground and earth in the sense that earth is the safety earth to hopefully protect me and ground is a reference point usually at 0V. My question really related to the circuits involved. In order to test the circuits do I need to connect them to ground or will the circuits be damaged if they are not so connected.

OK, according to Tom's construction guide:

I think ! understand the difference between ground and earth in the sense that earth is the safety earth to hopefully protect me and ground is a reference point usually at 0V. My question really related to the circuits involved. In order to test the circuits do I need to connect them to ground or will the circuits be damaged if they are not so connected.
You can test your amplifier without any safety earth.
But you do have to be aware that the protection afforded by a PE protected chassis is not there.

As an aside:
I build my amplifiers on the bench without a chassis.
The mains transformer is at one end and fed with fused supply.
The amplifer is in the middle of the bench.
I can see the mains transformer. If it is abused I should be able to hear. But I don't touch it.

The amplifier is on the isolated side of the mains transformer. As long as the mains transformer is not damaged, I am safe to touch any part of the low voltage amplifier.

Adding chassis to hold the completed and tested amplifier comes much later.

Joined 2014
Paid Member
The Third wire in our three core mains cable is the Protective Earth.

The chassis connection where that wire is bolted or welded is not the PE.
PE is the "wire".
It avoids confusion to not misuse PE for both the chassis connection and for the wire.

That is actually INCREASING the confusion as you have introduced another term.

I would recommend this Power Supply Wiring Guidelines as a good starter and less chewy that safety regs!

Thanks for the link, I'm reasonably confident I've done as suggested in this guide. However, there is one suggestion in there which I had been thinking about.

The mains safety earth must be connected to a separate bolt, whose sole purpose is to provide a solid earth connection to the equipment chassis. Where there are separate removable panels, it may also be a requirement where you live that these have a wired connection to the main chassis. This prevents any possibility of the removable panel from becoming "live" should an electrical fault cause the mains to be in contact with the panel - regardless of whether the securing screws are installed or not.

With an adonised case like mine I'd read elsewhere in this thread that to make a good chassis earth you need to scrape off the adonised coating. I did this on my case but then wondered about the earthing of the rest of the case as, when I checked for continuity between the panels of the case there was no electrical connection. I haven't seen anyone else concerned about this so should I ignore it?

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
With an adonised case like mine I'd read elsewhere in this thread that to make a good chassis earth you need to scrape off the adonised coating. I did this on my case but then wondered about the earthing of the rest of the case as, when I checked for continuity between the panels of the case there was no electrical connection. I haven't seen anyone else concerned about this so should I ignore it?

All exposed metal bits of the chassis should be grounded via the power cord (green or green/yellow wire).

An anodized chassis will usually offer connectivity through screws and other mounting hardware. Do verify this connectivity with an ohmmeter, though.
A powder coated chassis would probably not offer this connectivity. Whether you go through the trouble of scraping off the coating and connecting all the panels would depend on how much you feel like obeying the local electrical code and how much you love the people and pets you share your living quarters with. Personally, I'd rather take the time to scrape off the coating and ground the panels than having to deal with the emotional trauma having caused injury or death to a loved one. Never mind the legal issues.

Tom

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
You can test your amplifier without any safety earth.
But you do have to be aware that the protection afforded by a PE protected chassis is not there.

As an aside:
I build my amplifiers on the bench without a chassis.
The mains transformer is at one end and fed with fused supply.
The amplifer is in the middle of the bench.
I can see the mains transformer. If it is abused I should be able to hear. But I don't touch it.

The amplifier is on the isolated side of the mains transformer. As long as the mains transformer is not damaged, I am safe to touch any part of the low voltage amplifier.

Adding chassis to hold the completed and tested amplifier comes much later.

That's a good practice to get into. Personally, I use a pair of lab supplies for the initial tests, but few are likely to have a pair of those at their disposal. A power transformer on a fused variac goes a really long way.

One note, though: Make sure you clean off all component lead clippings, wire, solder splashes, etc. from your workbench before you rig the amp for testing. Few things ruin your weekend like a strand of wire shorting out the supply, causing fireworks.

Tom

An anodized chassis will usually offer connectivity through screws and other mounting hardware. Do verify this connectivity with an ohmmeter, though.

Tom

I have already checked this and found no connectivity hence my query. The fixing screws are coated black and the threads are anodized (their adenoids are fine!) I think I'll do some bonding between the plates of the case.

Thanks for advice, Ian

Thanks for the link, I'm reasonably confident I've done as suggested in this guide. However, there is one suggestion in there which I had been thinking about.

I have mentioned cross coupling the earth connection to separate panels in at least two previous posts.
I have also mentioned electrical continuity between panels in many posts.

The whole chassis must be protected. All exposed conductive parts should be connected to the protected chassis.

Few things ruin your weekend like a strand of wire shorting out the supply, causing fireworks.
My supplies certainly wouldn't take that long. Not only would the amplifier survive because my noise filtering does include that case; but, also, the current delivered would have burned off that strand so quickly that nobody would have noticed. So, what's going on?

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
My supplies certainly wouldn't take that long. Not only would the amplifier survive because my noise filtering does include that case; but, also, the current delivered would have burned off that strand so quickly that nobody would have noticed. So, what's going on?

You may want to look at arcs. They can be rather nasty. Here's Wikipedia on the topic: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Electric_arc

The question is what the arc destroys before it extinguishes, assuming it does extinguish.

Tom