Modulus-86 build thread

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

They are amazing...my friends and i are schock, so much clear and transparent sound detail and vision perfect.. we dont want stop music. Thanks everyone:)

Thank you for sharing. I really appreciate it. I'm glad you like the amp. That's good to hear.

Nice build. My only suggestion would be to add some ventilation holes below and above the heat sinks to bring some air past them.

Tom

sercan85, love your finished amplifier!
sq225917 , love those parallel86! I have a couple of them and I have no complains!

Yes dear asuslover they are looking nice, my experience say me only to this; tom’s desings really good and his amp no have a comment. So you need to have so good source dac or cdp etc.. i listening mıre dsd and hi res and i really glad... my transistor and mosfet amplifiers are experience dont happy me.. i find my amp... perhabs ı can modulus 286 paralel mono mono:)

Thank you for sharing. I really appreciate it. I'm glad you like the amp. That's good to hear.

Nice build. My only suggestion would be to add some ventilation holes below and above the heat sinks to bring some air past them.

Tom

Thanks for the warning tom. I will place a new over-hood cover on the hifi2000.
Tom ı would like to ask about power 86 capacitors? İf i change your capacitor with Mundorf Mlytic AG Electrolytic Capacitors or nichicon gold tune audi grade capacitors, what can be diffrent? İs it need? I thinking you measurement with power86 and my amp need this capacitor.

İf i change your capacitor with Mundorf Mlytic AG Electrolytic Capacitors or nichicon gold tune audi grade capacitors, what can be diffrent?

Your wallet will be lighter but the amp won't care at all.

If you want to make an improvement in your system, you're better off pursuing a source with a differential/balanced output, so you can use the balanced input on the MOD86 rather than using the pseudo-differential connection via RCA connectors.

Tom

Your wallet will be lighter but the amp won't care at all.

If you want to make an improvement in your system, you're better off pursuing a source with a differential/balanced output, so you can use the balanced input on the MOD86 rather than using the pseudo-differential connection via RCA connectors.

Tom
You right dear Tom.
I using real differential/balanced output on my dac... es9028pro IV's has 4 AD797 and I am realy glad they so good couple... Note DAC is prototype not finish.
Rn02Ao.jpg

Sarcan, that is a very nice build! I especially like your faceplate, with the large handles and original logo. It looks very professional.

I'm curious what the wire is, which is bolted to the top-center of your toroidal transformers. I assume they are ground wires. Do they not cause a "shorted turn" ?

Hi,

I also have 20 LME49710NA on hand but mod86 can’t be ordered without this chip?

Steef

Thanks, Tom.

I placed a backorder today for 20 of the LME49710NA in DIP8 layout from Mouser. Just wanted to make sure I ordered the right ones. Should get them next month. Once I get them I will place an order for some Mod-86 boards. Plan to do a 4-channel build for some LX-minis. The rest are for some THAT driver boards.

I also have 20 LME49710NA on hand but mod86 can’t be ordered without this chip?

Sorry. I had the bare board option disabled. That's fixed now. If you do not see the bare board option ($69) when you view the MOD86 product page, please click reload in your browser.

As we get closer to EOL on the LME49710, I'll remove the bare board option. I don't want to be stuck with a bunch of LME49710 ICs.

Tom

I'm curious what the wire is, which is bolted to the top-center of your toroidal transformers. I assume they are ground wires. Do they not cause a "shorted turn" ?

They could. That depends what those wires connect to in the other end. In the long run, it's probably better to take the wires off the transformer mounting bolts and ground them elsewhere. Good catch.

Tom

IMGDEAD]

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.
Sarcan, that is a very nice build! I especially like your faceplate, with the large handles and original logo. It looks very professional.

Dear alexqs they are ground cable. they cables are for 220vac main filters ground. My iec socket gnd cable nearly mount chassis of bottom cover. My dc voltage and singnal gnd no have earth gnd. My amp dual mono and it is slience as a ant :) ı dont hear hum buzz noises etc when my ear are nearly 1cm my speaker:) tom thinking everytings for his amps and us:)

Last edited:
If your mains filter ever shorts to the chassis, you will have a shorted turn around the transformer. Have a look at pages 24 and 25 of the Power-86 Design Documentation. Here's an excerpt:

Note that the metal bolt through the transformer must connect to the metal chassis at one point only. Do not allow anything to come into contact with the tip of the mounting bolt.

A safer way to ground the mains filter would be to run a short wire to a lug at one of the mounting screws for the filter. You can do that quite simply by just cutting the wires that currently go to the top of the transformers and connecting them at the chassis instead.

Tom

If your mains filter ever shorts to the chassis, you will have a shorted turn around the transformer. Have a look at pages 24 and 25 of the Power-86 Design Documentation. Here's an excerpt:

A safer way to ground the mains filter would be to run a short wire to a lug at one of the mounting screws for the filter. You can do that quite simply by just cutting the wires that currently go to the top of the transformers and connecting them at the chassis instead.

Tom
Thanks for your warning Tom i will change and share with you.. i will isolate my transformer from ground

Last edited:
I'm planning a stereo build using 2 x Modulus-86. I've got the boards but have a question about transformer sizing. My speakers are 8 ohm so ensuring it works with 4 ohm speakers isn't my top priority, but it would be nice to do so just in case I change my speakers later on. I've read the build guide regarding power supply selection but I'm still not entirely clear in my mind.

The recommended transformers have 22V secondaries. That should give (22*1.4) = +-31V DC rails, which is listed in the build guide as "not recommended" for 4 ohm speakers.

However, my source has max. peak-to-peak voltage of +-2.5V and the DC gain of the Modulus-86 is 10V/V. So the maximum output I can obtain is still only +-25V, regardless of the supply rail voltage. Is that setup still safe to use with a 4 ohm load?

I have sonus faber venere 2.5 6ohm and my friend has magnepan maggie .7 and it has 4 ohm 86db.. my mod86 so easy drive to this speaker... we listened ;)
Maggie .7
Description 2-Way/Quasi Ribbon
Freq. Resp. 45-22kHz ±3dB
Sensitivity 86dB/500Hz /2.83v
Impedance 4 Ω
Dimensions 15 w x 54 H x 1 D inches

I'm planning a stereo build using 2 x Modulus-86. I've got the boards but have a question about transformer sizing. My speakers are 8 ohm so ensuring it works with 4 ohm speakers isn't my top priority, but it would be nice to do so just in case I change my speakers later on.

The recommended transformers have 22V secondaries. That should give (22*1.4) = +-31V DC rails, which is listed in the build guide as "not recommended" for 4 ohm speakers.

Well... 22*1.414 assumes no voltage drop across the diodes and a zero conduction angle of the diode. In reality, you'll end up around ±29 to ±30 V at idle. This will droop to around ±28 V when the amp is operated at output levels just below clipping. That's perfect for the MOD86.

Tom

My build is going rather slowly at the moment, thanks to work etc. However I've got the power supply built and tested, which is progress I suppose, and am pretty much ready to start constructing the Modulus-86 boards.

I had a change of mind about the choice of THAT chip: I'm now intending to use a THAT1206 in order to improve the overall gain structure taking my source into consideration. However it seems tricky to obtain the 1n5242 in small quantities in the UK - RS has a minimum order quantity of 200. Is the specific Zener diode critical, or would the BZX85C or BZX79C be a suitable alternative?