Modulus-86 build thread

Hi Tom,
Would those of you who had issues with missing parts (supply connectors and C9 (MOD86 R1.0) or C10 (MOD86 R2.0) or C1, C2 (PWR86)) in your Mouser orders please forward your Mouser Invoice numbers to me via PM or email so I can pass them on to Mouser?
The issue you are experiencing has been reported by other Mouser customers as well. They're working on fixing it. To assist them in fixing the issues, Mouser asks for the invoice numbers that were affected by the bug.
Thanks,
~Tom
- Done.

Not quite. A number of my recent audio dabblings have not had enough gain for some recordings, and this has been a bit frustrating. There are recordings out there that have been mastered at very low average levels - nothing from the last twenty years, of course!! :rolleyes: - and more gain would have been very nice!

Listening to an album with volume at maximum, and getting sound levels about that of a TV set adjusted for average viewing is not helpful - a bit more adjustment in reserve should not be discarded lightly ...
I also get a little troubled when using a modern computerized source, most of which usually manage to distort itself if cranked up over 2/3rds.

However, there is a goal to get the gain as low as possible so as to maximize imaging/soundstage/realism. In this case, the gain is not necessarily missing, but rather it is employed for a different purpose.

Therefore, I'd like Tom's suggestion as to what preamp is good enough to add in front of his power amp?
Or maybe there's an option to boost the Modulous86 for a bit higher gain, for a more streamlined approach that may be cleaner than adding another (pre) amp in front of it?
Which way should we go?
Directions please?

. . . Evidently, the AC supply upstairs in my house is worse than the supply downstairs. When I plugged my build into a socket downstairs, lo and behold, the transformer stopped buzzing.. . .
If you wanted to use a linear supply for audio amp in that particular upstairs room, it may be possible to (with great care and/or electrician) move the circuit breaker for that room, either up or down a space in the panel, thereby using the other channel, which might be cleaner.

I also get a little troubled when using a modern computerized source, most of which usually manage to distort itself if cranked up over 2/3rds.

However, there is a goal to get the gain as low as possible so as to maximize imaging/soundstage/realism. In this case, the gain is not necessarily missing, but rather it is employed for a different purpose.

Therefore, I'd like Tom's suggestion as to what preamp is good enough to add in front of his power amp?
Or maybe there's an option to boost the Modulous86 for a bit higher gain, for a more streamlined approach that may be cleaner than adding another (pre) amp in front of it?
Which way should we go?
Directions please?

I use a balanced version of Bent Audio's TAP-X. The measurements are here:TAP-X measurements. Those measurements are a worst case scenario.

Maximum gain available is +7dB. Since my system is high sensitivity and since have decent output from my DAC as well as vinyl sources, I never have to go past unity gain.

For me, the measurements above and my sonic appreciation of this unit, match completely. For those who do not need or will ever use extra gain, i.e. only need unity gain, I would recommend a balanced build of Tortuga's LDR. I do not have any measurements on that unit, but my audition put it on par with the TAP-X unit which is great, more options! The Tortuga LDR is cheaper to build DIY however. The fully built version of the balanced Tortuga LDR and fully built Bent Audio TAP-X are about the same (~$2K-$3K, depending on options).

I did a diy build of the Bent TAP-X, seen here and called Poseidon's Voice Lazarus.

Until there is a preamp (with or without gain) that has distortion levels lower than the Modulus 86 or lower than my current Bent TAP-X, I am going to stick with the TAP-X.

You certainly don't want to build a preamp that measures much worse than the Modulus 86. What would be the point of that?

Best,
Anand.

Last edited:
Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
An LDR preamp will not measure as well as the mod-86. My pass B1 is IIRO 5x worse than the mod-86 at 0.0007% 1V, 1KHz, but will hold for now, at least until I work everything else out in the system.

An LDR preamp is a great way to substitute one minor issue (potentiometer tracking) with a whole range of new issues (noise, distortion, non-linearity, to name a few).

If you want stellar channel-to-channel tracking, use one of the many PGAs out there. THAT has a nice all analog one. The PGA2320 from TI is pretty good too.

~Tom

DACT CT101

About active preamps, what do you think about this?

Line stages / linear preamplifier modules

CT101.jpg

Kruunuradio-4.jpg

Data sheet for DACT's CT101 line stage / linear preamplifier module

Wide operating supply range ±5V to ±100V
Large bandwidth, DC to 25 MHz at 0dB gain
Low Total Harmonic Distortion 0.0002%
Low noise, -115dB at 0dB gain
Large channel separation 120dB
High slew rate 500V/us
Drives difficult loads (output impedance 0.1ohm)
Large output voltage swing ±14V
Close channel matching ±0.05dB
Compact, dual-mono design
Very short signal path
Use of low noise SMD metal film resistors
Use of SMD decoupling capacitors
Very low inductance and stray capacitance
Dual on-board voltage regulators for each channel
No magnetic parts in the signal path
All PCB traces and connectors gold plated
User settable gain 0, 6 or 12dB

DACT CT2 versus Khozmo

I am thinking about a passive preamp/attenuator with DACT CT2, inside or not the same box.

CT2-stereo.jpg

SPECIFICATIONS

Number of steps: 24

Bandwidth (10kOhm): 50 MHz

Channel matching: +/-0.05 dB

Attenuation accuracy: +/-0.05 dB

THD: 0.0001 %

Mechanical life, min. 25,000 cycles

Maybe 24 steps is insufficient. 48 steps of Khozmo, but:

dale_main.jpg

SHUNT type: Only two resistors in signal path
Switching type: MBB (Make Befor Break)

Number of steps: 48
Attenuation range: -60 dB ... 0 dB | Attenuation per step: steps 1 to 11 - 2dB, 12 to 48 - 1dB

Contact material: Hard gold | Gold thickness: 0.1mm
Polished wiper and contact pins | Extremely short signal path
Channel matching: +/-0.1 dB
Resistance: 10, 20, 50, 100, 200 kohm or custom values
Resistors: Vishay/Dale RN55 1% 100ppm , 1/8W, low noise, non-inductive, metal film

CNC machined PA11 aluminium body | Precision ball bearing support| Shaft diameter: 6 mm | Indexing angle: 7,2 deg

Neurochrome.com
Joined 2009
Paid Member
Nah, I am the grumpy one on this thread

Tough job. Somebody's gotta do it... :)

I've learned long ago that a thread drifts off topic on occasion. After about ten pages of OT, it gets right back on track. I will occasionally try to nudge the thread back on topic, but I don't see any reason to lose sleep over a little OT.

~Tom