Modulus-86 build thread

Ok thanks I understand.

Would you guys be able to tell from the Mouser link and the datasheet if the above mentioned IEC inlet / RFI filter is harmless in terms of sound for the Mod286?

Thx
SH
That looks like the same one I'm using. I like the switch, fuse, and inlet plug all together. Very convenient.

Don't forget to get the fuse drawer and the fuse, which are not included.

Blah...Blah...Blah... I have noticed in the past that equipment that are not so well designed really are not effected my mains filtering. This is at least from 30 years of switching different equipment and trying different filters. Blah...Blah...Blah...
Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Tom,

I hate to break it to you, but the expert has spoken and as such the Modulus series of amplifiers are of substandard design since these well designed AC filters do not make it sound better or worse. I suggest you collaborate with soongsc as he seems to have all the answers.

I hope I haven't ruined your Sunday ;)

Best,
Anand.

An open mind means not ruling out possible answers to issues without known answers unless there is a clear reason to do so. I have found many things to work not because of the reasons presented. Sometimes companies will hide the real reason so that others will think twice before copying.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Hi,

Sorry, even if it is slightly off-topic, I need to come back to the Neutrik XLR EMCs once more (see a couple messages back). As I am still waiting for the Mod286 boards to arrive I was experimenting with some XLR cable setups, which I will be using for the Mods and I would need you guy´s expert opinion.

I have connected the XLR EMCs to some RCAs as described on Tom´s webpage and fed the Auralic Altair signal (XLR out) in my current amp (Denon) using a vanDamme Starquad cable. Pin 1 is connected to Shield on the RCA side.

When sound testing with Diana Krall: Jimmie Remastered (24bit) the piano had some slight but very noticable, let´s say, post-ring to the individual very pronounced piano notes between 2:00min and 3:30min. When switching back to my old and shabby RCA cable (using the Altairs RCA outs) the post-ring or distortion was gone. Also when using the Denon built-in DAC it didn´t produce the post-ring, which tells me that the piano is more likely meant to be heard without the post-ring. My wife confirmed my impression in a blind test.

I have to say as I am still experimenting I used 5m per channel of the van Damme vs. 2 m each of the old RCA cable. Of course, this could make a difference.

Alternatively, I also connected the shield in the XLR EMC plug directly to Pin1 and therefore bypassing the built-in EMC caps (but not bypassing the built-in ferro bead) with the same unfortunate result.

Generally I had never thought, that different cables could be heard, as I am the scientific and not the vodoo type.

Any ideas for improvements to salvage the XLR approach?

Thanks a lot and please Tom let me know if you want to move this somewhere else, but I had thought, that in this thread I get the most "scientific" answer.

Thx.
SH

I use Auralic Vega > Mod86 ver 1. Mine is discreet analog output stage, yours is opamp output stage, but same designer.

I have used expensive audiophile SE cables with great results in the past, but when I built Mod86 amps, I needed balanced cables. Not having heard the Mod86 yet I was not about to spend $1000 on cables for a $100 DIY amp, so I went cheap cheap cheap and used 22 cent/ft cable, with cheapest Neutrik XLR connectors and Cardas solder. Pair of cables ~$10.

I recently had the chance to compare these to the high end audiophile XLR cables that I would have bought if I was Daddy Bigbux, and my DIY cables spanked them silly.

With foil insulation they are great for internal amp wiring. Can be used for SE cables too. They are not microphone cable with thick rubber insulation designed for abuse on the road, but the insulation is more than adequate for residential audio system. The cable has polyethylene conductor insulation, which I find sounds better than PVC insulation.

Hey Bill, how's your Mod86 build coming. Fired it up yet?
Rich

Can I confirm, are you talking comparing single ended and XLR out, both terminated to RCA in?

Yes. The "good" setup was a classical RCA cable with two wire strands plus and minus. From the RCA of the Auralic Altair to the RCA in of the Denon amp. 2m cable.

The "bad" setup used the balanced XLR out of the Auralic Altair and a RCA into the same Denon amp. At the RCA side I connected the wire coming from pin1 and the shield (as described at Toms webpage).

Here are some more facts on the cable I used for the XLR to RCA connection. 5m vanDamme Starquad XKE.

Conductor Ohm/Km <93

Screen Ohm/Km <25

Insulation M Ohm/Km >5000

Core to core pF/m50 nominal

Core to screen pF/m95 nominal

Costs ca 2 USD/m so not really expensive either.

The amp power setting at the amp was -20dB for both setups and the Auralic preamp was set to 100%, which should be 2V max pp. There was no obvious difference in loudness observed between the two setups.

Thanks a lot to all for your answers.

SH

Last edited: