• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Modulus-686: 380W (4Ω); 220W (8Ω) Balanced Composite Power Amp with extremely low THD

The Guardian-86 and -686 protect the speaker. They do nothing for the amp. The Guardians have three functions:
1) Turn-on delay (prevents thump on turn-on)
2) Power supply detection (disconnects the speaker when the supply voltage drops, thus preventing a turn-off thump)
3) DC protection (disconnects the speaker if the amp outputs excessive DC)
Yes yes, sorry, I know I want the Guardians (more on this at the end), but I think I was unclear mixing things up:
I also see you have the ISS but I don't fully understand its use case or at least some basic details. Excuse my ignorance. Is main use "only" to avoid pops on the speakers while powering on/off? Or does it also protect the amps in case of PSU failure?
I was asking about the ISS main use, not the Guardians. I understand it doesn't protect the amp from overvoltage/current, PSU failure, etc? ("only" pops protection).

Also, from HarmonicTHD answer, is it true that for a stereo Mod86 I will not need the ISS as you don’t need such large transformers?

That your preamp outputs 12 V to turn on the power amp. It's pretty handy if you, say, have your power amps located behind your speakers and the preamp in a central spot.
Makes sense, thank you

The 6-pin connector on the ISS is currently not compatible with anything. It provides +5V, GND, an "ON" output indicating that the load is powered, a FAULT input to turn off power in the event of a fault, and a POWER input to turn on the power. The sixth pin is not connected (reserved for future use).

5 V @ 200 mA. Use it for whatever you want.

Tom
Good

For a Mod86 you would need the Guardian 86 not the 686, which is for the bridged amp Mod686.
Can you please confirm this? I understood from the product page that a stereo Mod86 (2 boards) need 2xGuardian-86 OR 1xGuardian-686 (that it can even be split in two boards). Cost for the latter is 13$ cheaper

Thank you again

Sorry for the confusion. I knew the Guardian 86 was not to be used for the Mod686 and wrongly concluded the opposite might also be true. Reading Toms description more thoroughly I believe my initial statement to be wrong. At least that’s how I would interpret the description on his webpage „The Guardian-686 is intended for use in bridged/balanced/BTL amplifiers, such as the Modulus-686. As the Guardian-686 is a stereo version of the Guardian-86 circuit, it is equally useful in single-ended stereo amplifiers, such as the Modulus-86, Modulus-286, and LM3886 Done Right.“.

I will keep quite next time I am not 100% sure. Again sorry.

Sorry for the confusion. I knew the Guardian 86 was not to be used for the Mod686 and wrongly concluded the opposite might also be true. Reading Toms description more thoroughly I believe my initial statement to be wrong. At least that’s how I would interpret the description on his webpage „The Guardian-686 is intended for use in bridged/balanced/BTL amplifiers, such as the Modulus-686. As the Guardian-686 is a stereo version of the Guardian-86 circuit, it is equally useful in single-ended stereo amplifiers, such as the Modulus-86, Modulus-286, and LM3886 Done Right.“.

I will keep quite next time I am not 100% sure. Again sorry.

hey no prob! i thought i’d better double check, english is not my native language, audio engineering even less xD

I was asking about the ISS main use, not the Guardians. I understand it doesn't protect the amp from overvoltage/current, PSU failure, etc? ("only" pops protection).

The ISS does not protect the amp. The ISS protects the mains transformer by limiting the inrush current at startup, thereby minimizing the mechanical stress on the transformer on startup. This makes the transformer last longer. The ISS also makes it possible to use a more reasonably sized mains fuse, which in turn protects your house should something catastrophic happen within the amp chassis.

All transformers and power supplies draw large current when they're first turned on. The larger the transformer and supply, the larger the current. With, say, a 200 VA transformer you can get around this by slightly over-sizing the fuse. With, say, 400-500 VA transformers the required fuse will probably exceed the ampacity of your household wiring. So then you have a situation where you're using a 10-15 A slow-blow fuse to ensure the fuse survives startup in a circuit that draws a 2-3 A when running at full blast. Attached image touches on the silliness of that idea. Using a grossly oversized fuse is not a good design. It's also not a safe design. The ISS allows you to size the fuse much closer to the actual max power draw of your circuit, thereby increasing the amount of protection the fuse provides.

I'd say if your transformer is beyond 200-250 VA, you should consider using a soft start circuit. Certainly by 400-500 VA, I'd strongly encourage you to use a soft start.

Even if you don't need the soft start feature, the 12V trigger, support for momentary power switch, bi-colour power LED, etc. are nice to have.

Can you please confirm this? I understood from the product page that a stereo Mod86 (2 boards) need 2xGuardian-86 OR 1xGuardian-686 (that it can even be split in two boards).

You cannot split the Guardian-686 into two boards. At least I don't think you can. I certainly didn't design it so you could just saw the board down the middle and have two circuits.

The Guardian-686 is two Guardian-86es on one board with some connections between the two halves to make it work well if you use it in a balanced amp, such as the Modulus-686.

The Guardian-686 is intended for use with balanced/BTL/bridged amps, such as the Modulus-686. It can also be used with stereo single-ended amps, such as the Modulus-86.[/QUOTE]

For a Modulus-686, you will need one Guardian-686 per channel. For the Modulus-86, -186, and -286, you'll need one Guardian-86 per channel (or one Guardian-686 per stereo amp).

Tom, isn't the 686 already virtually pop-free in all these conditions?

Yes. The Modulus-686 is free of turn on/off thumps.

The Guardian-86 and -686 are not exclusively for use with the Modulus-686. The Guardian-86 and -686 provide the anti-thump feature, which some amps need. Check the Pass ACA thread for examples.
The Guardian-86 and -686 also provide protection against DC on the output of the amp, which gives some people more peace of mind. I personally don't use speaker protection in my DIY builds, but would most certainly include it in a commercial amp.

Tom

Attachments

• fuse-categories.jpg
    fuse-categories.jpg
    24.3 KB · Views: 384
Last edited:
The ISS does not protect the amp. The ISS protects the mains transformer by limiting the inrush current at startup, thereby minimizing the mechanical stress on the transformer on startup. This makes the transformer last longer.
OK got it. I had it wrong. Is there anything to protect the amp?

The ISS also makes it possible to use a more reasonably sized mains fuse, which in turn protects your house should something catastrophic happen within the amp chassis.

All transformers and power supplies draw large current when they're first turned on. The larger the transformer and supply, the larger the current. With, say, a 200 VA transformer you can get around this by slightly over-sizing the fuse. With, say, 400-500 VA transformers the required fuse will probably exceed the ampacity of your household wiring. So then you have a situation where you're using a 10-15 A slow-blow fuse to ensure the fuse survives startup in a circuit that draws a 2-3 A when running at full blast. Attached image touches on the silliness of that idea. Using a grossly oversized fuse is not a good design. It's also not a safe design. The ISS allows you to size the fuse much closer to the actual max power draw of your circuit, thereby increasing the amount of protection the fuse provides.

I'd say if your transformer is beyond 200-250 VA, you should consider using a soft start circuit. Certainly by 400-500 VA, I'd strongly encourage you to use a soft start.

Even if you don't need the soft start feature, the 12V trigger, support for momentary power switch, bi-colour power LED, etc. are nice to have.
I see. And this by itself is a very important feature. I contracted an electrician to re-wire all my flat, and he added a line only for my audio stuff (DAC, turntable and amp). Still pending the protection switch on the entrance box (for that line), but I guess it'll be either 10A or 16A. So, if I get a power-86 for the 2xMod86, which needs 2x36V I'd be below the 200-250 VA threshold you mentioned above, right?

You cannot split the Guardian-686 into two boards. At least I don't think you can. I certainly didn't design it so you could just saw the board down the middle and have two circuits.
Ah, sorry I had misinterpreted your "Furthermore, the two halves of the Guardian-686 can be electrically separated for use in dual-mono builds of single-ended amplifiers." in the product page.

For a Modulus-686, you will need one Guardian-686 per channel. For the Modulus-86, -186, and -286, you'll need one Guardian-86 per channel (or one Guardian-686 per stereo amp).
I think I changed my mind and will probably get 2x-86 in order to place them one in each side in the back of the enclosure.

The Guardian-86 and -686 protect the speaker. They do nothing for the amp. The Guardians have three functions:
1) Turn-on delay (prevents thump on turn-on)
2) Power supply detection (disconnects the speaker when the supply voltage drops, thus preventing a turn-off thump)
3) DC protection (disconnects the speaker if the amp outputs excessive DC
OK I think I'm lost here as well with 2&3. Do the Guardians need a DC input? If so, does it ned to be from the same secondary powering the amp?

Thank you again, as always

OK got it. I had it wrong. Is there anything to protect the amp?

That's all in the amp already. The LM3886 is protected against over-current, over-temperature, and SOA (safe operating area) violation. It's not impossible to destroy an LM3886, but you have to work pretty hard at it. If you want additional over-temperature protection, you could fit each heat sink with a thermal switch and take the output of this switch to the 6-pin connector of the ISS and make the amp turn off when the heat sinks get too hot.

So, if I get a power-86 for the 2xMod86, which needs 2x36V I'd be below the 200-250 VA threshold you mentioned above, right?

A stereo MOD86 amp can run comfortably from a 2x22 VAC @ 100 VA transformer and a Power-86. In that case, you won't need a soft start.

I recommend using ±28-30 V with the MOD86 for reasons outlined here: Taming the LM3886 - Output Power. 2x22 VAC will result in ±28-30 V DC.

Also note that this is the Modulus-686 thread. For questions related to the Modulus-86, the build thread (Modulus-86 build thread) or vendor thread (Modulus-86: Composite amplifier achieving <0.0004 % THD+N.) would be more appropriate places to ask. You're also always welcome to contact me directly through email, which you can do through the Contact Us form on my website.

Ah, sorry I had misinterpreted your "Furthermore, the two halves of the Guardian-686 can be electrically separated for use in dual-mono builds of single-ended amplifiers." in the product page.

Electrically separated = no connections between them.
Physically separated = located in separate places.

OK I think I'm lost here as well with 2&3. Do the Guardians need a DC input? If so, does it ned to be from the same secondary powering the amp?

Yep. The Guardian-86 and -686 run from the same power supply as the amp. It's all described in the design doc.

Tom

Last edited:
zgtc,

As Tom has said, and this quote directly from TI that manufactures the LM3886:

The performance of the LM3886, utilizing its Self Peak Instantaneous Temperature (°Ke) (SPiKe) protection circuitry, puts it in a class above discrete and hybrid amplifiers by providing an inherently, dynamically protected Safe Operating Area (SOA).

SPiKe protection means that these parts are completely safeguarded at the output against overvoltage, undervoltage, overloads, including shorts to the supplies, thermal runaway, and instantaneous temperature peaks.

Best,
Anand.

Tom,

Is there a layout where the 686 board can mount parallel to the heatsink? LM3886 devices underneath the board and mounted on to the heatsink. I understand this is definitely harder, but wondering if such layout can allow 4 of these modules+heatsinks to be placed inside a single enclosure for a 4 CH amp.

p.s. couldnt make it to BAF. Was hoping to ask some of these questions face to face.

thanks

Last edited:
Is there a layout where the 686 board can mount parallel to the heatsink?

Not really. The LM3886 sits perpendicular to the board. I do know of one build where the builder bent all the leads to allow the PCB to be mounted parallel to the heat sink, but that's not something I'd recommend.

[...]wondering if such layout can allow 4 of these modules+heatsinks to be placed inside a single enclosure for a 4 CH amp.

It's not a matter of physically fitting the boards in the box. Two MOD686es will physically fit on a 4U heat sink. They'll just overheat as a 4U heat sink doesn't have a low enough thermal resistance to get rid of the heat.

If you really-really want four MOD686 channels in one box, I suggest using the ModuShop Dissipante 5U size (300 or 400 mm depth - doesn't matter). You'll still need to lower the supply voltage to ±28 V to prevent the amps from overheating when driven with music at clipping levels with a 4 Ω load. If you want the full 240/360 W (8/4 Ω), you'll need ±36 V and one 4U chassis per stereo amp.
Sorry. Physics and math made me do it... :)

Tom

Not really. The LM3886 sits perpendicular to the board. I do know of one build where the builder bent all the leads to allow the PCB to be mounted parallel to the heat sink, but that's not something I'd recommend.
Just as info, I've spotted one build with an interesting trick to mount the lm3886 // to the pcb without any leg bending: JLM Audio Shop (you have to cut the leads though).

It's a pretty trick because, looking at the package, the leads from the back row are indeed flat with the body. So no need for bending.

It's not impossible to destroy an LM3886, but you have to work pretty hard at it.
You're underestimating me :D

If you want additional over-temperature protection, you could fit each heat sink with a thermal switch and take the output of this switch to the 6-pin connector of the ISS and make the amp turn off when the heat sinks get too hot.
Clever

A stereo MOD86 amp can run comfortably from a 2x22 VAC @ 100 VA transformer and a Power-86. In that case, you won't need a soft start.

I recommend using ±28-30 V with the MOD86 for reasons outlined here: Taming the LM3886 - Output Power. 2x22 VAC will result in ±28-30 V DC.
Good, I think I really do not need the ISS in that case.

Also note that this is the Modulus-686 thread. (...) You're also always welcome to contact me directly through email, which you can do through the Contact Us form on my website.
Yes, sorry for hijacking your Mod686 thread but I didn't spot any ISS/Guardian threads, I thought these Qs fitted better here. In a way, due to power demand, ISS is clearly focused to Mod686 but the Guardians could easily have their own place. IMO. No critizism ;)

The Guardian-86 and -686 run from the same power supply as the amp. It's all described in the design doc.
All I need to know for now then

The Three Amigos. Pass/Christiansen/Brenner (from left to right in the photo).
PCB power! :D

Is idle power consumption higher with a ±36V power supply compared to ±28V?

A typical Modulus-686 board draws about 350-360 mA, so you're looking at ~20 W at ±28 V and ~25 W at ±36 V.

Yes, sorry for hijacking your Mod686 thread but I didn't spot any ISS/Guardian threads, I thought these Qs fitted better here. In a way, due to power demand, ISS is clearly focused to Mod686 but the Guardians could easily have their own place. IMO. No critizism ;)

No worries. I do need to start a separate thread for the ISS and the Guardians. I also need to add a section in the Resources part of my website about the design of soft starts. Sort of a "Taming Your Soft Start".

Just as info, I've spotted one build with an interesting trick to mount the lm3886 // to the pcb without any leg bending: JLM Audio Shop (you have to cut the leads though).

That is a neat trick. I also like how they use the back row of holes both for the horizontal mount and the vertical mount. Very neat.

I don't like that they require you to cut pins off of the LM3886, though. That's expensive in production!

It's a pretty trick because, looking at the package, the leads from the back row are indeed flat with the body. So no need for bending.

Look again! The back row of pins are bent close to the IC package and hit the holes in the regular PCB footprint. Then the front row of pins are bent flat against the board to hit the oblong pads.

Cool! Thanks for mentioning this. It's definitely possible in the DIY world. I tend to design circuits that can be mass produced, so my considerations are a bit different.

Just a follow-up (as we cannot edit) to my post above: the amp in the link above is really not in the same league as the mod686 (and I wouldn't take their power rating seriously).

Yeah, I don't think they did the math on that one. :D Also note that they miss the local decoupling (2x10 uF minimum) by the LM3886es. It may be that the bulk caps are close enough to the LM3886 that they don't need the 10 uF, but I've seen LM3886es break into oscillation if you leave the 2x10 uF. The oscillations happen if you draw lots of output current (think >30 V peak output swing and low-impedance loads). I generally recommend 2x22 uF and use 2x33 uF in the MOD686. The can size is the same for 22 uF vs 33 uF, so I opted to get the extra capacitance.

Tom

The back row of pins are bent close to the IC package and hit the holes in the regular PCB footprint. Then the front row of pins are bent flat against the board to hit the oblong pads.

Mmm we might label back and front differently... To be clearer, it looks to me that pins 1-3-5-7-9-11 are just cut and stuck in their normal row of holes. Then the pins 4-8-10 naturally fall on the oblong pads. There might be a tiny bit of bending needed so that the odd numbered pins are hitting the holes with the proper 90° angle.

This being said, you're right. It's labor intensive and I wouldn't suggest it in a production amp. Just a little bit of lm3886 trivia.

Attachments

• Sans titre.png
    Sans titre.png
    14.5 KB · Views: 312