• These commercial threads are for private transactions. diyAudio.com provides these forums for the convenience of our members, but makes no warranty nor assumes any responsibility. We do not vet any members, use of this facility is at your own risk. Customers can post any issues in those threads as long as it is done in a civil manner. All diyAudio rules about conduct apply and will be enforced.

Modulus-686: 380W (4Ω); 220W (8Ω) Balanced Composite Power Amp with extremely low THD

This EE with a master's degree also thinks it's pretty nifty.

You're MSEE friend should know that phase noise is not really applicable to audio amplifiers. Phase noise is a frequency domain expression of deviations of a single-frequency signal from it nominal frequency. In an RF system, running a signal through an amplifier will add some noise which when clocked into a receiver will add to the phase noise of the signal. However, that is not really applicable to a audio power amplifier. Phase shift through the amplifier which is a function of low-frequency and high-frequency rolloff might have an effect, but with response as extended and flat as the Modulus amps, that is not an issue.

Thanks. I'll inform him. Also, we may have been drinking at the time. :)

I'll have six channels ready built in nice enclosures in San Francisco tomorrow. Will you be there? They fit in a suitcase...

For the fully built modules, that's taking a bit as I'm waiting for some mechanical bits - a backplate, to be specific. The backplates should be here within the next 2-3 weeks. By then I expect to have a handful of fully assembled and tested modules ready to go.

Tom

Hi Tom,

I own a yet-to-build stereo Mod86 v2.2 :) I'm concerned about the speakers protection (Guardian-686 would come to the rescue). I also see you have the ISS but I don't fully understand its use case or at least some basic details. Excuse my ignorance.

1. Is main use "only" to avoid pops on the speakers while powering on/off? Or does it also protect the amps in case of PSU failure?
  2. Also, what's the typical use case of the 12V trigger?
  3. And 6-pin connector for interfacing to protection circuits? I'm assuming they're compatible in some way w/ the Guardians
  4. What about the +5V always-on auxiliary power supply (use case and/or max current)?

Thank you so much

I am not Tom but let me venture an answer which Tom can correct once he is back.

For a Mod86 you would need the Guardian 86 not the 686, which is for the bridged amp Mod686.

The ISS main purpose is to avoid popping the mains fuse when using big transformers (ca. >500VA) in connection with big capacitors in a linear power supply configuration. For a stereo Mod86 you will not need the ISS as you don’t need such large transformers. It also does not protect speakers or amps.

The 12V trigger is used to automatically switch on your power amp from for example a pre-amp with a 12V trigger output. Some pre-Amps or AudioVideo amps have such a feature - mainly the pricier ones.

Yes the 6pin connects to the Guardian. So when the Guardian detects a fault with the amp, it not only switches of the speakers but also the main power. To my knowledge you can use the Guardian without the ISS and still protect your speakers.

Unless your speakers are really expensive you probably don’t need a Guardian as a catastrophic failure is not very likely (but again not completely unlikely).

The use case for the 5v permanent power I can’t say anything about.

Last edited:
I am not Tom but let me venture an answer which Tom can correct once he is back.

For a Mod86 you would need the Guardian 86 not the 686, which is for the bridged amp Mod686.

The ISS main purpose is to avoid popping the mains fuse when using big transformers (ca. >500VA) in connection with big capacitors in a linear power supply configuration. For a stereo Mod86 you will not need the ISS as you don’t need such large transformers. It also does not protect speakers or amps.

The 12V trigger is used to automatically switch on your power amp from for example a pre-amp with a 12V trigger output. Some pre-Amps or AudioVideo amps have such a feature - mainly the pricier ones.

Yes the 6pin connects to the Guardian. So when the Guardian detects a fault with the amp, it not only switches of the speakers but also the main power. To my knowledge you can use the Guardian without the ISS and still protect your speakers.

Unless your speakers are really expensive you probably don’t need a Guardian as a catastrophic failure is not very likely (but again not completely unlikely).

The use case for the 5v permanent power I can’t say anything about.
Hey thank you so much, i appreciate all the help ;)

Sorry my one quote reply, on the ipad now it’s harder to split it

Guardian-86 are mono, that’s why i assumed i need two of them, which is more expensive than 1x686, but i might be wrong and be forced to use 2x mono. I intend to spend 600-1000 on the speakers so the board/s would be somewhat justified

12v trigger: got it!

ISS: makes sense

5v: let’s hear about it ;)

Is main use "only" to avoid pops on the speakers while powering on/off? Or does it also protect the amps in case of PSU failure?

The Guardian-86 and -686 protect the speaker. They do nothing for the amp. The Guardians have three functions:
1) Turn-on delay (prevents thump on turn-on)
2) Power supply detection (disconnects the speaker when the supply voltage drops, thus preventing a turn-off thump)
3) DC protection (disconnects the speaker if the amp outputs excessive DC)

Also, what's the typical use case of the 12V trigger?

That your preamp outputs 12 V to turn on the power amp. It's pretty handy if you, say, have your power amps located behind your speakers and the preamp in a central spot.

And 6-pin connector for interfacing to protection circuits? I'm assuming they're compatible in some way w/ the Guardians

The 6-pin connector on the ISS is currently not compatible with anything. It provides +5V, GND, an "ON" output indicating that the load is powered, a FAULT input to turn off power in the event of a fault, and a POWER input to turn on the power. The sixth pin is not connected (reserved for future use).

What about the +5V always-on auxiliary power supply (use case and/or max current)?

5 V @ 200 mA. Use it for whatever you want.

Tom

Let us know how the Lx-minis sound with Frank's active crossover and your Mod686's driving them at Burning Amp.

I thought they sounded quite good. The imaging wasn't quite as good as what I'm used to at home with the MiniDSP 4x10HD, but that can easily be attributed to the room. Fort Mason is basically a brick/concrete box. All surfaces of the room are hard, except the floor which has a thin carpet tile cover. We did our best to tame the room with moving blankets draped over tables, open windows, etc. but the conditions were pretty far from optimal. That said, I think the LXmini (and especially LXmini+sub) sounded great. I may have to build a pair of those subs.

I'm sorry that I can't comment on the exact fluidity of the micro-detail (or whatever marketing term d'jour). I spent more time talking to people than listening to music. :)

BAF was a great time. I hope I make it next year.

Tom

I thought they sounded quite good. The imaging wasn't quite as good as what I'm used to at home with the MiniDSP 4x10HD, but that can easily be attributed to the room. Fort Mason is basically a brick/concrete box. All surfaces of the room are hard, except the floor which has a thin carpet tile cover. We did our best to tame the room with moving blankets draped over tables, open windows, etc. but the conditions were pretty far from optimal. That said, I think the LXmini (and especially LXmini+sub) sounded great. I may have to build a pair of those subs.

I'm sorry that I can't comment on the exact fluidity of the micro-detail (or whatever marketing term d'jour). I spent more time talking to people than listening to music. :)

BAF was a great time. I hope I make it next year.

Tom

I was pretty much there for most of the time Tom was. I forwarded him a short 1 minute video of the setup. If he wants, he can upload it cause I have no idea how.

Tonally, it was quite good, and very obvious to me that the LX Mini in that size room needs at least a sub or 2. And those subs, being single and open baffle were working! The Linkwitz speakers do the “staging “ and “air” thing well, and that was obvious here. Can’t say much about imaging which is very room related.

I was just happy that the tonality was very right because if that isn’t then that is the 1st reason people walk out of any show room (having been to enough shows!). So Kudos to the Pass/Brenner/Christiansen act for an enjoyable time.

Best,

Anand.

Here some progress pics on my two Mod686. I am currently somewhat busy at real work and progress is limited to Sunday‘s mainly. Well I am getting there.

You can see the tapped heat sinks of the Dissipante4U case and the mounted Mod686 board. Boy I wished I had known about Toms new bracket earlier. Tapping gets kind of dull.

Attachments

• B22350C0-5C17-42BD-AE31-90054915D8A2.jpg
    B22350C0-5C17-42BD-AE31-90054915D8A2.jpg
    647.9 KB · Views: 593
  • 97B22C62-B13B-4AB1-A621-7BFC72C3578C.jpg
    97B22C62-B13B-4AB1-A621-7BFC72C3578C.jpg
    824.5 KB · Views: 596
Now here is a view of the ISS, the PSU and the assembled case shortly before the transformer was dropped in. Notice ground has not been fully hooked up yet and the connection to the amp is also still missing.

Let me know if you see something you would do differently (which doesn’t involve tapping more holes ;-))

Attachments

• 479E9E4A-F8B7-48A9-80A6-552BFDAA7A83.jpg
    479E9E4A-F8B7-48A9-80A6-552BFDAA7A83.jpg
    757.5 KB · Views: 585
  • 36D112AC-648D-4316-8E37-9FE196B0B9F1.jpg
    36D112AC-648D-4316-8E37-9FE196B0B9F1.jpg
    982.2 KB · Views: 577
... and here comes the big guy. Boy I that 800VA is heavy when maneuvering it into position to hook up the PSU and the ISS.

Both amps are in this building state now. One is causing me a little trouble and I haven’t figured it out yet (Tom once your are settled back in from your trip, I could do some troubleshooting over the coming weekend).

Next is attaching the output speaker posts, the XLR, improving the flimsy cable hookup of the MDF6 momentary switch and connecting the 12V trigger input.

Attachments

• F6F84444-B651-4DD3-8F8C-57BC219E8CC4.jpg
    F6F84444-B651-4DD3-8F8C-57BC219E8CC4.jpg
    905.7 KB · Views: 524
Last edited: