Mod for DVD player Hi-Rez stereo PCM output - SACD DVD-A HDCD

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Gennum will sell you a HDCP free receiver and any half decent hardware engineer can knockout a fpga based HDMI Tx/Rx pair. The problem is the minute you plug in your all singing all dancing HDCP protected disc player, it immediately smells a rat and says " Nice try, son but its a 24/48 downmix and 480i for you."

The encryption is dead simple and has long been cracked. It main purpose seems to be as a hook for hanging lawsuits.

" ... The problem is the minute you plug in your all singing all dancing HDCP protected disc player, it immediately smells a rat and says " Nice try, son but its a 24/48 downmix and 480i for you." ..."

There are also other complications like older players simply not able to forward data through the newer variants of HDMI, but thanks for the tips and I'll see what Gennum has to offer. :)

Hi rossl,

I just ordered an Oppo 981 the other day, and was thinking about the possibilities for getting the hi-rez digital audio out of it, since it has the HDMI output. I came to the forum with those thoughts in mind, and found this thread! Needless to say, I'm quite interested in your project.

I've been thinking of building this dac, EZDAC , which has its own ASRC (AD1896) that converts everything to 96k. Here's my question: Would using this DAC make the ASRC in your board redundant? Would it be better/sufficient to do what you mentioned in Post #13 back on the second page of this thread? Do you have any plans to revisit that idea?

Thanks,
Ted

rfbrw & TedS: ... considering the Analog Devices HDMI dual display interface (ala Apple, et al) AD9380 ( http://www.analog.com/en/prod/0,,765_806_AD9380,00.html ) it appears that this (consumer grade) chip has the I2S (8 channel) & SPDIF outputs that would "marry up to" Ted's EZDAC ... Yes / No ?? ...

If so then my question is solved: An HDMI audio breakout box with the "full load" multichannel 192K output ... I doubt if I could fit all of that into my Oppo player, but I can see it as inside a low profile case sitting underneath. Hey, it could even have XLR outputs to a tube amp ! :smash:

Thanks for all the great tips. Now all I have to do is find someone wity good eyesight to stuff the boards ...

I wonder if one could parallel that AD chip (or any other) with the lines in the HDMI cable without messing with the HDMI receiver chip in a display?

FastEddy said:
it appears that this (consumer grade) chip has the I2S (8 channel) & SPDIF outputs that would "marry up to" Ted's EZDAC ... Yes / No ??

What it also has is HDCP protection. So you are back where you started. I simply cannot see how a device that would put 1080i video and 8 channels of SACD within easy access of all can possibly be sanctioned by the powers that be and going around them would open one up to litigation.

FastEddy said:

Got another chip supplier or model choice??

It won't make any difference. HDCP is pretty much integral to HDMI. If you want all the goodies on offer you have to have the HDCP keys. If you use a receiver like the HDCP-free GS8100 or roll your own, you are limited to whatever the HDCP protected upstream device deigns to bestow upon you, assuming that is,it feels you are worthy of anything at all. Silence and a blue screen politely telling you to get lost is well within the HDCP specs. Point is HDCP protected devices talk to each other. They decide on the basis of the keys they each hold how to encrypt the data. If the receiving device has no keys or they have been revoked, it is then up to the transmitting device to send a reduced quality signal or simply shut up shop.

If you want raw digital audio over multiple SPDIF outputs your only realistic option is mod your gadget.

TedS: " If you don't want the ASRC ..."

rossi: " ... give up sample rate conversion and 192K capability, a very small board could be built with just a connector, a CS8406, and a few resistors and caps. This could be done at a low cost. The output could be wired to the existing coax jack and would be a very simple mod that would provide SACD at 24/88 and DVD, DVD-A, and HDCD all at their natural sample rate and full bit depth. ..." From Rossi's post #13 in this thread (he started it).

Yes, I can't tell the difference between 96K and 192K either. Perhaps this is the solution for my Oppo as well. Anyone got a schemo or layout suggestions for this (Rossi may still be away).

I plan on trying several opions, 'cause I think there may still be a way to have something out side the box that will work more generically to split out that I2S from the HDMI consumer stuff.

rossl said:
I had messaging turned off in my user control panel. I turned it back on. I don't remember why I had it turned off. :smash:
Anyone who wants a board, please let me know what DAC you will be using it with, what DVD player you will be modding, and your skill level at soldering SMT parts.

rossl
As of today March 22, your e-mail is still turned off in the control panel
:bawling:

vBulletin Message
Sorry! That user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails through this board. If you still wish to send an email to this user, please contact the administrator and they may be able to help.

Administrator:

Is there a problem with the control panel user interface?

I tried to turn on my own private message option, but I noticed it does not seem to work.

I still get:

vBulletin Message
Sorry! That user has specified that they do not wish to receive emails through this board. If you still wish to send an email to this user, please contact the administrator and they may be able to help.

:whazzat:

Hi

I have good news. I have assembled 2 boards of my new PCB version and have the first one working as planned. You all are asking good questions and I am very sorry but I need to work all weekend on a real work project.

I am playing DVDs and SACD and doing listening tests. It is working and I have played the Neil Young DVDA 192K songs.

I will mod a second DVD player in the next few days.

I also have a good solution for TedS. He can build up one of my rev_B boards without the ASRC chip. If you wire 3 signals across the pads of the CS8421 chip pattern. Remove the oscillator, a few resistors and caps. It will output the original sample rate with only the CS8406 chip on the board.

I have 2 of the revB boards left. Ted needs that revsion because it used slave mode on the CS8406. The newer boards use master mode on the CS8406.

:D

Thanks rossl! I'm definitely interested in your board. Do you think there are any disadvantages to going with the simpler board, or does the external DAC with its own ASRC and quality clock give me everything I need? I guess I'm still coming up to speed on the details of how your boards work with the signals coming out of the player.

Ted

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.