Mini Karlsonator (0.53X) with Dual TC9FDs

You may have a point here, the flex of the foam core may be what gives it such a smooth response. I noticed that GregB's plywood unit with the CHR-70 had a much rougher response compared to my 0.4x in foam core. A double layer on the K-wing probably won't hurt though as I imagine that is probably the source of the 200Hz cabinet resonance peak.

There may be something to that argument.

Still, WRT the measurements, take another look. If you compare the nearfield only, they are really pretty close, strictly speaking. It's a little tough to compare because one is smoothed and one is raw, but both are about +/- 8 db.

Next time I will apply 1/2 octave smoothing before posting anything!! :D

Last edited:
This is a bit off topic but was if anyone has built a pare of MiniK's using same driver and dimensions only one in foam core and one in wood. ;)

It seems like someone built both, but I can't recall now.

Mine are only 1/12th octave smoothed and I would optimistically say they are +/-5dB rather than 8.

Ha, I know you only used 1/12 oct. It gives me lots or room for cheating in the future. ;)

Frankly, IIRC those old CHR70 weren't much if any better than +/-5db in simple reflex boxes. We certainly do not start with flat in most cases with this full range driver thing. That said, I have no desire to go back to low efficiency tupperware midbass drivers that were all the rage in the early 90s...

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
It seems like someone built both, but I can't recall now.

I think Jim Shearer may have built both. He made it in foam first and liked it enough to go with wood. They were 0.53x with dual Vifa's. Imagine an 0.53x with dual 8ohm 3FE25's at 97dB at 2.83v. Those would be loud indeed and very low HD at normal 88dB listening levels.

My tractrix with the 3FE22 is about 106dB at 2.83v (400Hz on up) so I have a sense of what sensitive midrange sounds like. At nornal listening levels, the cone doesn't even feel like it is moving with any sensible vibration. The horn walls are vibrating, but the cone is so well loaded that it feels still.

What if someone built a long back tractrix bass horn that returns to the front for bass and a front tractrix. That would be like a 100+dB system from 80Hz on up.

X is correct. I built 0.53x mini-K w/ dual Vifa TC9fd, first in foam core, then in 1/2" plywood. They do sound different. At low volume, I think the foam core may sound a bit more 'lively' then the plywood. At high volume (which I need in the application for the small rehearsal studio space at the theater), the plywood is much better. The foam 'sings' too much at high volume.
Cheers, Jim

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I am really enjoying the Faital Pro 3FE25's in a 0.40x. Have been listening to them all day and they can, surprisingly, fill up a 18 ft x 20 ft room quite nicely. Incredible really... They just might be my new favorite driver over the longtime favorite TC9FD given the extra 6dB sensitivity. They have more of a cone breakup artifact at 15kHz that seems to give rise to some oscillations in the impulse response (audible as sibilance sometimes) but other than that, a great driver.

you could make a K-tube just large enough to fit over the tweeter's dome and about 5.3" long - or load it into a mini klam

perhaps shorter can be used - I've heard of 3.5" long K-tube

make something with paper first

0.jpg

here's a commercial mini klam which bolted to a standard 1" format Eminence compression driver
An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

you might try slot loading the tweeter's lens

Last edited:
I'm having an issue finding the dimensions for the single driver Karlsonator :eek:. I probably went past it a couple of times, but I can only find the dual driver drawing (6.5 inches wide X 12.2 inches high X 6.9 iches deep). Will someone steer me to the single driver box?
Also, is the driver(s) centered on the baffle?
Thanks,
Mike

Founder of XSA-Labs
Joined 2012
Paid Member
I'm having an issue finding the dimensions for the single driver Karlsonator :eek:. I probably went past it a couple of times, but I can only find the dual driver drawing (6.5 inches wide X 12.2 inches high X 6.9 iches deep). Will someone steer me to the single driver box?
Also, is the driver(s) centered on the baffle?
Thanks,
Mike

Thanks to BL21DE3 (Blaides) for the drawings...

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/239338-mini-karlsonator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-56.html#post3880182

410245d1396600506-mini-karlsonator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-karlsonator_04x_print.png

410246d1396600506-mini-karlsonator-0-53x-dual-tc9fds-karlsonator_04x_slot.png

How does it sound? I expected it to sound pretty good based on measurement, and it does. Has a little bit of a HF rise compared to Vifa, so may sound a bit bright - but easy to compensate with a little EQ negative HF shelf. They actually sounded amazing for how small and cheap they are.

So in conclusion, for $19 ($7 more than TC9FD) you get +6dB more sensitivity, and a little more "air" on top. Well worth it and I am thinking that this unit could be a drop in replacement for TC9FD on many projects where you want a little more sensitivity.

am looking for a sensitive 3" for my TDA7297 amp, this is getting interesting...