Mezmerize DCB1 Building Thread

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
I wish I had seen this earlier. I ordered mine from am guy in Israel. Who know when I will get them of if they are fake. This is probably a dumb question but it appears that those Jfets are maybe being fazed out. What is it about them that makes them so much better than BJT? I have tons of BJT devices and they are readily available. Can't these circuits be tweaked to work just as well with those?

Thanks, Terry

JFETS are square law devices, where either current or voltage depends on the square of the other.
BJTS are exponential devices. JFETS are simpler monopolar devices. You can even picture them as heater-less pentodes if you prefer.
Of course most circuits can be transformed to full BJT but they won't sound the same. I am not saying worse or better, I am saying surely different.

What makes JFETS chosen for B1 is the self biasing & simplicity plus linearity they offer with just 2 devices. The high transconductance and low noise of the particular type especially. There are newer interesting SMT ones around, but they will be cooking for dissipation as we bias them here at IDSS. There are ways but not that handy to measure & match, cool, and solder by the normally equipped diyer.

Re: fuses.
I have a couple "through hole" style fuses (slow blow). I have a IEC terminal at the back of my chassis.
Would you solder one end of each respective fuses to the appropriate IEC terminal and the other end of the fuses to the respective primaries of the trafo? So in other words fuses in between IEC and primaries. Anybody not use fuses on their DCB1?

diyAudio Chief Moderator
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Wire like this from the mains inlet to the transformer primary terminal:

Attachments

• psu_mains_wiring.jpg
    psu_mains_wiring.jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 452
Re: fuses. ................. Anybody not use fuses on their DCB1?
I don't use nor add fuses to my DCB1.
I do fuse the primary feed to the transformer.
Being in the UK, my plug top is also fused and the distribution board has MCBs and RCCBs.
I don't consider that the DCB1 can gain any safety benefit by adding in some LV fuses.

Salas' reply is also to fuse the primary feed to the transformer.

Joined 2009
Paid Member
I wish I had seen this earlier. I ordered mine from am guy in Israel. Who know when I will get them of if they are fake. This is probably a dumb question but it appears that those Jfets are maybe being fazed out. What is it about them that makes them so much better than BJT? I have tons of BJT devices and they are readily available. Can't these circuits be tweaked to work just as well with those?

Thanks, Terry

Terry I seem to remember someone on the forum saying they had bought there 170's from an Israeli guy on ebay but cannot recall their name so all being well they'll be genuine.

Terry I seem to remember someone on the forum saying they had bought there 170's from an Israeli guy on ebay but cannot recall their name so all being well they'll be genuine.
I think that you're referring to Alweit. He sells genuine products. I just ordered some matched 2SJ74GR/2SK170GR fets and some macthed IRFP240/IRFP9240's from him for another project.

Last edited: