Melon Head's State of the "DUMB" Open Baffle Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Doing something absolutely melon head like this, does virtually nothing to extend bass response any further

Attachments

• Seas FR proto mdf baffle 1_5 way extra baffle.jpg
    Seas FR proto mdf baffle 1_5 way extra baffle.jpg
    98.5 KB · Views: 399
  • 06082012289.jpg
    06082012289.jpg
    24.7 KB · Views: 397
Last edited:
Jokes aside,
I hope to be building a building next year and plan to have the IB option. That is in fact what i have considered the AN15's for. Slightly toed in wall with AN15's and couple Delta Pro's, as they seem to look better down low than others, including Kappalite 15"

I'm surprised that the baffle with 2 drivers (without the wings) goes as low as the graph shows. Then again, how tall and deep is that baffle (without the wings) ?

Is the bottom one running wide open or is there an inductor on it ?

And it is believable that the wings do nothing. The front and rear short circuit over the top. The top one's rear short circuits the bottom one's front (makes sense to me).

yea, I bet you will/have inspire(d) more than a couple of us to build the phy open baffle for the an15's.

Norman

Last edited:
One mystery I can't workout is that Frequency Response tells you absolutely nothing about how a speaker sounds, even if the distortion is also the same, speakers can still sound very different even though they measure the same.

I am guessing sine waves aren't the best way to make these assessments.

I don't want to think about that too much or I will seriously risk blowing up my remaining brain cells.

Last edited:
Melon Head. Will you predict the sound of your speaker if driven by a Transconductance Power Amp [TCA]? The recent F6 Amplifier threads are showing 'modified' circuits [e.g. by kasey197, and possibly circlomanen] to the simplified schematic of Mr. Pass which appear to be plausible TCAs to test it.

And it is believable that the wings do nothing. The front and rear short circuit over the top. The top one's rear short circuits the bottom one's front (makes sense to me).

Yes the top one short circuits quite quickly, but what about the bottom one?
I would have thought the additional width might have had an influence on extending FR on the bottom woofer.

Melon Head. Will you predict the sound of your speaker if driven by a Transconductance Power Amp [TCA]? The recent F6 Amplifier threads are showing 'modified' circuits [e.g. by kasey197, and possibly circlomanen] to the simplified schematic of Mr. Pass which appear to be plausible TCAs to test it.

I haven't looked at the F6 thread for a few days now. I will have to look at what they have created

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.