Melon Head's State of the "DUMB" Open Baffle Design

Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.
Here is the open baffle test chassis. I can locate the driver anywhere up and down the baffle, and cover up the holes that I am not using. I will use cardboard initially to add wings or increase the height of the baffle. Probably add piano hinges later and use wood for the wings. Anyway just getting warmed up. :devilr:
Melon Head: Your wood-working ability is highly impressive.

Frequency response.

Attachments

• Seas FR proto mdf baffle.jpg
    Seas FR proto mdf baffle.jpg
    98.9 KB · Views: 462
  • 05082012283.jpg
    05082012283.jpg
    20.4 KB · Views: 457
Last edited:
Ported Open Baffle. LOL

Just out of curiosity, I thought I should measure it with the bottom cut out exposed.
Doing so extends the bass response another 100Hz before it starts to drop off

EDIT: Later I might see what happens if intentionaly put in a port tube

Attachments

• Seas FR proto mdf baffle bottom hole exposed.jpg
    Seas FR proto mdf baffle bottom hole exposed.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 447
  • 05082012285.jpg
    05082012285.jpg
    28.4 KB · Views: 436
Last edited:
Mellon Head,

I don't want to rain on the parade, but the best way to make this OB work is to get some 12 cheap 8" bass drivers :D. Then, you could leave that Seas on top, and build a Slot-loaded bass support with 2x3 8" bass drivers...

Yeah, yeah. That makes too much sense. I am only doing this purely to try ideas and to confuse people. In the end I will probably throw the Seas in the bin. The Seas FR drivers don't excite me at all.

Having said that i do intend on building the slot loaded baffle but with 4 x 10 per speaker

Last edited:
Status
This old topic is closed. If you want to reopen this topic, contact a moderator using the "Report Post" button.