Matti Otala - An Amplifier Milestone. Dead or Alive

What I have tried to convey here in the last two descriptive paragraphs is a straight forward, understandable explanation for certain audio problems. I realize that some will find it too 'simple', others may find it too 'incomplete', but it should give those of you with some technical knowledge an idea of what and why designers like Matti Otala and I made designs the way we did, and still do, to some extent.
It must be remembered that 35 years ago, high F(t) output devices were very expensive and delicate. Our BEST bipolar transistor output pair had an F(t) of only 4MHz. Yet, we both achieved 100V/us with different topologies. We had no need to copy each other.
Today, most output devices are 10 times faster or more. Think how easy it is, today, compared to back then.

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
Trevor White said:

Yes I agree but according to the anti-feedback brigade any feedback is too much feedback whilst others think that there is a moderate amount of feedback which yields the optimum performance but cannot explain why this is so.

I used the example of the Halcro amplifiers to dispel the myth that too much feedback always results in sub optimum performance from an amplifier ;)

regards
Trev

Understood. But the fact that *some brigade* has some opinion doesn't make it a fact.

When you look around you, you can realise within a few 100 milliseconds that there are very good amps without feedback and very good amps with feedback. So if someone then preaches that feedback is by definition bad he/she is clearly at odds with reality.

That hasn't stopped the *brigades* but everyone is entitled to his own opinion of course.

Jan Didden

PB2 said:

Hi Bob,

Let's say you idealize the LTP so that it has no change in transconductance, but have Miller capacitance that is only the non-linear internal device capacitance, would you agree that such an amp would have PIM?

This is not to disagree with anything that you wrote above.

Pete B.

Hi Pete,

Yes, it is quite possible that any nonlinear capacitance in the amplifier could modulate the open loop and/or closed loop bandwidth and cause some PIM. For example, suppose you have a VAS that is not cascoded and is not fed by an emitter follower. The Miller compensation capacitor is connected conventionally from collector to base of the VAS. Cm is in parallel with the collector base capacitance of the VAS transistor, and the altter varies with Vcb and thus signal voltage. This will cause the gain crossover frequency to move back and forth with signal, resulting in some PIM. Similar effects can occur in amplifiers without any negative feedback. I suppose it is also possible for some PIM to be generated by the variation in ft with current of the output transistors.

Cheers,
Bob

john curl said:
Trevor, you do not understand, perhaps you are not technical. I don't know. However, we have found that the error overshoot that occurs in the input stage at frequencies above the open loop bandwidth cause both AM and FM distortion. It is the FM distortion that we are mostly concerned with. Even 1% 3'rd harmonic distortion (AM) is barely audible. I can prove this with ANY analog tape recording. As an analog tape recording engineer, I have made a number of master recorders and I know what to expect, even with the best tape, highest speeds, and widest tracks. 1% distortion is continually present in every master tape that is made. 10% on peaks. Therefore, .1% 3'rd harmonic distortion is almost meaningless me, however the FM component is something that feedback amps seem to make, and we have never bothered to completely measure it. This might be what the ear hears and is expecially sensitive to.
Now do you understand?

Hi John,

I'm pretty sure that indeed you have never measured PIM, as it takes specialized equipment to measure it. I have measured it and documented the results. PIM does indeed exist, as I showed in my measurements. It does appear to be fairly small, probably less than 10ns for most any decently designed amplifier, be it with or without NFB. In the very modest NFB amplifier I built to neasure it, PIM was about 3ns. To be honest, I don't know how audible 3ns of PIM would be.

However, the key finding is that with NFB, large amounts of NFB accompanied by low open loop bandwidth do not increase PIM. An amplifier with 20 kHz open loop bandwidth will not have less PIM than an amplifier with 1 kHz open loop bandwidth all else remaining the same, including closed loop bandwidth.

Moreover, my experiments showed that PIM exists in amplifiers with no NFB at all, and that the application of NFB actually reduced total PIM in the example that I looked at (YMMV).

Cheers,
Bob

john curl said:
As far as the difference between global and local feedback, we separate them because usually local feedback has such a very high frequency rolloff, that we do not have to worry about excessive phase shift that will make the entire amplifier oscillate.
In the early days, we did not use global feedback, just local feedback. Then, we started to use global feedback for servos, and analog processes. It was limited in scope, mostly because of the low frequency phase shift due to transformers and coupling caps, to about 20dB, not a bad figure. Then IC op amps came on line and then the dreaded 'slew rate' became important. It wasn't really talked about before op amps were introduced. Along with slew rate limiting, came very low open loop bandwidth. At first, we didn't think much of it. Now, we consider it more important.
In my 40+years as a professional design engineer, only quibblers confused local feedback with global feedback, but they are present, here, so we must be more careful, or nothing useful can be said, without someone, making a point about it.

I have to agree with John in regard to differences between global and local negative feedback. One can indeed get into more trouble with global NFB than with local NFB most of the time. Local NFB over more than one stage, particularly in some CFP arrangements, can, of course, get one into trouble with parasitic oscillations in some cases. Global NFB from the output of an amplifier to the input, encompassing the output stage and the variations of the load, takes a bit more skill to do right. However, when applied properly, it performs well.

It is notable that Charles Hanson has a much more stringent philosophy toward negative feedback. I believe that he eschews ANY negative feedback, be it local or global, with the exception of emitter degeneration.

Cheers,
Bob

Bob Cordell said:
I have to agree with John in regard to differences between global and local negative feedback. One can indeed get into more trouble with global NFB than with local NFB most of the time. Local NFB over more than one stage, particularly in some CFP arrangements, can, of course, get one into trouble with parasitic oscillations in some cases. Global NFB from the output of an amplifier to the input, encompassing the output stage and the variations of the load, takes a bit more skill to do right. However, when applied properly, it performs well.

It is notable that Charles Hanson has a much more stringent philosophy toward negative feedback. I believe that he eschews ANY negative feedback, be it local or global, with the exception of emitter degeneration.

Bob, I think you really needed to agree with John on something :) The amount of trouble that NFB can bring has nothing to do with the NFB itself, but with the properties of the base amp. NFB is NFB is NFB.

BTW, emitter degeneration is feedback as well, and it can be easily proved. While emitter degeneration increases the linearity and the stability at low frequencies , you can in principle find an amount of emitter degeneration that can make a real world common emitter stage unstable (definitely not in the audio frequencies range, though).

Bob Cordell said:

I have to agree with you Bob that philosophy, i.e. love of wisdom, is a very good thing, but it is incompatible with cookbook recipies, about what is always good in audio, what is always bad in audio.

However, cookbook approach helps to answer questions like, "Why you Sir have chosen such components for your wonderful legendary amplifier?", but it does not help to understand why certain components in certain places in certain regimes found to be preferrable. But what is worse, it does a harm rejecting something very useful that when used improperly caused bad effect.

john curl said:
As far as the difference between global and local feedback, we separate them because usually local feedback has such a very high frequency rolloff, that we do not have to worry about excessive phase shift that will make the entire amplifier oscillate.
In the early days, we did not use global feedback, just local feedback. Then, we started to use global feedback for servos, and analog processes. It was limited in scope, mostly because of the low frequency phase shift due to transformers and coupling caps, to about 20dB, not a bad figure. Then IC op amps came on line and then the dreaded 'slew rate' became important. It wasn't really talked about before op amps were introduced. Along with slew rate limiting, came very low open loop bandwidth. At first, we didn't think much of it. Now, we consider it more important.
In my 40+years as a professional design engineer, only quibblers confused local feedback with global feedback, but they are present, here, so we must be more careful, or nothing useful can be said, without someone, making a point about it.

I don't think confusion is the issue. Where the confusion stems from is the conclusion that is automatically drawn by you, that low bandwidth high global feedback, as per your definition of it must always result in a compromised design compared to a circuit that exclusively relies only on local feedback.

I have yet to see your analysis (and anyone else's) as to why this is so.

And like I said previously, you need to explain why a high global feedback amplifier such as the Halcro always gets the seal of approval from Stereophile in terms of both its objective and subjective performances.

Until you can do this then you have presented an unsound argument about high global feedback amplifiers, that has an incorrect conclusion that has been illogically drawn from a number of false premises.

scott wurcer said:

I'd love to see those references especially Shannon, this looks like out of context (and out of date) name dropping to me. The energy of the digital crowd to "prove" Shannon wrong is only equaled by the Einstein bashers.

Preachers never give reasonable explanations of dogmas they preach. They give references on names of venerable priests, or saints, who said or wrote that once. :D

I've found nothing crazy in Nelson's designs and in his reasoning. He is smart and knowledgeable designer. He teaches his disciples to think and make own decisions instead of blindly following recipes.

Edit: John, can you stop please lead us to off-topic judging personalities? You've started it from calling people to teach Syn08 and myself some elementary definitions that are not always right.

john curl said:
Scott, why don't you call Dick Sequerra and get the straight story? Maybe, I quoted the wrong people. Bode should be OK for sure, but Shannon? I'm not sure.

Just curious, why is it always Dick Sequerra to be called by Scott?

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1535815#post1535815

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1537333#post1537333

http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/showthread.php?postid=1856506#post1856506

Scott, do you owe to that guy? :rofl: