Martello enclosure for FR88EX

Finished Martellos

Finally got them finished. They sound pretty good to me. On to my next project.
Cheers,
Bob

Attachments

• Finished cabinet 1 .jpg
    Finished cabinet 1 .jpg
    303 KB · Views: 714
  • finished 2.jpg
    finished 2.jpg
    1,022.7 KB · Views: 708
  • finished1.jpg
    finished1.jpg
    291 KB · Views: 677
  • amp.jpg
    amp.jpg
    380.4 KB · Views: 661
Thanks. I put several coats of black spray paint then a few of clear gloss then wet sanded with 1200 - 2000 grit then car polish to shine them up. I was really struggling to get a good finish until I ran across the idea to wet sand from a YouTube video on spray painting auto body parts.

Made a second pair! Sound just as good as the first. I have the wood already cut for a third set from the original 4x8 sheet of plywood - no fourth set as the first attempts at cutting weren't quite right!:eek:. This diy speaker stuff can become a bit addictive!
Bob

Attachments

• IMG_20140412_130118189.jpg
    IMG_20140412_130118189.jpg
    1,011.2 KB · Views: 889
  • IMG_20140412_130146712_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20140412_130146712_HDR.jpg
    979.3 KB · Views: 806
  • IMG_20140412_130244714.jpg
    IMG_20140412_130244714.jpg
    455 KB · Views: 817
Hi there,

I'm Philippe, from Paris, France. This is my first post on diyAudio. I'm a absolute beginner in speaker design (I know Qts, Vb, F3, etc. exist but I haven't played with them yet)

I have a few questions about these nice Martellos I'm planning to build (ok, nothing critical when building computer speakers, but I'm rather curious...).

* Why is the port spacer triangle shaped ? Is there some math behind that ? (I did not see any triangle in Dave's "xOnken" designs.)

* Why has the brace such a large "solid" surface (almost creating 2 internal volumes) ? Wouldn't two simple sticks crossing each other rigid enough ?

* Is there a newer version than 0.21b ? Any suggested improvements?

Thanks in advance !

I'm Philippe, from Paris, France. This is my first post on diyAudio.

Welcome Philippe !

I was in Paris last summer, Latin Quarter, a wonderful beautiful place !

Why is the port spacer triangle shaped ? Is there some math behind that ? (I did not see any triangle in Dave's "xOnken" designs.)

My thinking was to avoid pipe resonance associated with Onken ports (I admit I have seen no evidence of such things) and to have a way to better couple the port to the room by having a flared/horn-shaped port. I got this idea from Henkjan: see post 27 here: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full...2010-compact-horn-br-alpair6.html#post2320259

Why has the brace such a large "solid" surface (almost creating 2 internal volumes) ? Wouldn't two simple sticks crossing each other rigid enough ?

Yes, it would be better not to have such a solid surface. I suggest you follow your idea and make an improved solution!

Is there a newer version than 0.21b ? Any suggested improvements?

I did not further develop this design, it seems to work just fine. I would suggest using a proper terminal cup for the connections instead of using binding posts - that way you can repair easily if the wire becomes disconnected inside.

I did develop a Martello-2 speaker, larger size and not suitable for desktop: http://www.diyaudio.com/forums/full-range/220047-martello-2-mini-tower-single-2-x-4-a.html

Hello Bugun and everyone else who has contributed to this thread!

As a newcomer to building speakers, I am looking to build some mini speakers that I can easily transport each week between home and a flat from which I work during the week - these look ideal!

A few questions:

Are the FR88EX still considered to be the ideal driver for the cabinet design?
Given that the first post was back in 2010, are there any updates, latest thought ideas by way of improvements?

I am reading the whole thread carefully and have yet to absorb everything!

Lastly, as a newcomer to this forum, and with the thought I am looking to build small/mini speakers, are there other resources on the forum I should take a look at?

I have pretty good building skills and a well equipped "man cave" and not worried about the actual build!

Thanks to everyone for any replies and help!

Mike