Marsh headphone amp from Linear Audio

AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
This guy has not asked me or Mr Jung for permission to make money off our work.

Please note that if you have issues with this PCB you're on your own - the original boards, sold by diyaudio have been tested and tuned over several generations and are guaranteed to provide the very high performance these regulators are known for and which are confirmed by Jack Walton's measurements here (scroll down to Color graphs for Jack Walton's regulator article in Vol 4). With this amateur boards, which is are one generation behind anyway, you take your chances.

Also, note that when you buy the diyaudio boards, neither myself nor Mr. Jung get a penny from it - proceeds go to the support of your diyaudio forum, rather than to someone who apparenly has no concept of honesty or decency. You decide where you dollar is better spend.

Jan Didden

Attachments

• 21a1e50a116b8b0a458cbe0285518fae-8958_top.png
    21a1e50a116b8b0a458cbe0285518fae-8958_top.png
    66.6 KB · Views: 746
  • 21a1e50a116b8b0a458cbe0285518fae-8958_bottom.png
    21a1e50a116b8b0a458cbe0285518fae-8958_bottom.png
    38.1 KB · Views: 735
circuits not protected by current, active patents are public domain, "prior art"

no one can claim to control their use, ask for money, restrict them to nonprofit/diy only

once published and not patented within 1 year (US) they are public "property" - any asserting control are the ones trying to steal from the commons

unpatented ideas, patented ideas after expiration are meant to be copied, used improved "to promote the advancement of the useful arts"

people may be able to control their names use in advertising, however we do have a long tradition of using personal names in association with circuits - Lin, Bailey amp topology, Locanthi "T" output, Widlar current mirror, Gilbert multiplier cell...

exact copy of "art" - including circuit diagrams, pcb artwork are controlled by copyright - but only exact/mechanical/digital copying - redraw, re layout and your art is yours to copyright

ah yes, the ongoing "controversy"

can a ~20 year old published circuit which was never patented be "stolen"

which circuit itself could be considered as derivative of the vacuum tube "super regulator" printed in Horn&Horn nearly 50 yrs ago

If the authors wish to keep their names off of someone’s product they do have some rights, but not to the circuit itself at this point

What part of “public domain” do you not understand?

are Hugh Dean, Rod Elliot "pirates" for profiting from kits - their circuits certainly look like the "prior art" to me, just how many products out there truly have unique, enforceable IP, and does society benefit any less because some can profit filling needs with known technology?

no need to repeat this thread:

Super Regulator, IP sidetrack - diyAudio

misremembered the reference

Invisus ultra super regulator - Page 2 - diyAudio

a differential input 3/4 tube "op amp" controlled paralleled pass tubes, the amplifier and the voltage reference "bootstrap" powered from the regulated output V

all of the elements of the "super regulator", including use of the name "super regulator"

Nelson's permitting "personal use" of his patented designs is the only meaningful "grant" that can be offered, because he has the right to control the use of the IP of his patents during their term

published but unpatented circuits are not controllable IP, they become “prior art” - if the authors really wanted to control it their only options were patenting or attempting to practice as a trade secret - and reverse engineering has long been recognized as legal, a sale of a device employing a patentable technology is for the patent office the same as publication

this is how technology advances; circuits, techniques, patterns of problem solving are published and become available for all to use

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
jcx, you obviously feel strongly about this - going back to find 10 year old posts (or maybe you're the only one here understanding the search function ;-).

I'm not claiming 'ownership' of the Jung/Didden superreg, I know the rules for such things and I also stand on he shoulders of giants.

But I made this PCB for diyaudio, for free, and as a diyaudio member to copy the design in an effort to take business away from our own diyaudio is at the very minimum unethical.
There's often a difference between the law and plain human decency.

Design your own stuff and make money from that!

Jan

There's often a difference between the law and plain human decency.

Jan

I'm afraid jcx is right on what is legally actionable, the best choice is to point out and shun those that are not decent. BTW DF96 disagrees with us, I posted a few weeks ago the exact paragraph from the US code, but I can't find the same for anyone in the EU. Finding things paraphrased to remove the legalese leads to misunderstandings.

DF96 and jn seem to be taking a break.

Last edited:
Joined 2007
Paid Member
jan -

Uriah and I had this same conversation while he was in town. It seems to be on the rise, sadly.

I agree and I refuse to buy this way as I respect the fellows that put in the sweat and share it with us here. And yes, one can learn much more by working on one's own design.

yes that is my point there is no "moral obligation" to "respect" a claimed circuit beyond active patent coverage

the claim of some sort of control is invalid in its basic conception - circuits, ideas becoming "prior art", "common heritage", free for any to use, modify is how tech advances

same as with pointy sticks, fire, pottery, bronze...

if Jan wants to carp about a circuit being attributed to him that seems strange - since that's really all anyone can expect if the circuit was published, not patented, or patents have expired

if he thinks some have crossed the line into using his name in advertising that is actionable

and exact copies of his art - article, pcb layout are protectable under copyright

Last edited:
Are the last few posts referring to Sikahr PCB's?

From what I read, he created/designed some PCB's from some known published circuits and open up/shares his work in the PCB shop so that people can purchase the boards at their own risk directly from the PCB shop. He neither copied an existing board design nor sold his work for profit.

I don't think he is selling someone else's IP to make money. He is probably just too eager and enthusiastic to share his work and sounded like he was selling. One thing that he might be wrong was not including credits to the original owner of the circuit. However, due to the minimal testing, perhaps not including the original circuit designer's name is a good thing :)

Before I posted a thread about a mini version of Walt Jung's diamond buffer, I mailed the draft to him first for his feedback,
and his approval to post and mention his name.

When I did a 78xx-pin-compatible mini PCB of the "Super Regulator" I actually made two examples and sent them to Jan Didden for testing.

No law in the EU or elsewhere makes it my obligation to do so.
It is just decency and respect.
It shows what sort of upbringing you have.
Nothing more, nothing less.

Patrick

sorry but I don't see any issue of politeness involved - if you wanted to add notes on your personal correspondence with Walt, Jan add their comments to your post/article/project that's fine

but there should be no perception of obligation, either "clearing" with the authors before referring to the article you are citing as a circuit inspiration or to use any disclosed idea

from the moment it was published in an article in a magazine "the owner" of the circuit idea is/was The Public

if no patent application had been filed

in most of Europe publication is an absolute bar to patenting - publication is giving it away - this had been the standard for long before Jan, Walt started working on the article - he has no excuses for his unreasonable expectation that someone should let him in any way control the use of the circuit for the rest of his life

I never asked Otala, Cordell, Cherry, Gilbert, Pease, Williams... for permission to link to their publications, comment on them, use circuit ideas, equations...

and have no intention to start, don't expect anyone to argue that I failed in some duty of politeness

Last edited:
AX tech editor
Joined 2002
Paid Member
if Jan wants to carp about a circuit being attributed to him that seems strange - since that's really all anyone can expect if the circuit was published, not patented, or patents have expired

Read my post. I SPECIFICALLY reiterated that I don't claim anything here. I ONLY said that since I provided this design to diyaudio for free, to help defray the cost of a forum we all like a lot, I would hope that this design would not be used by someone else to take sales away from diyaudio for personal gain. That's ALL.

Jan

Disabled Account
Joined 2012
So Richard, how much more do you want? :) I do enjoy the amp with the dual power supplies. Open, dynamic, fluid in a natural way, transparent and layered. Hey, sounds good to me. I did add some caps right after the PS's, then on to the board. I also used some Black Gate non polar for bypass. Love those BG's.

The data shown (THD and FFT) do include the signal source harmonics also :).

[I am somewhere between Nepal and Thailand at this time.....]

THx-RNMarsh