MarkAudio CHP-90 Enclosure Options

Hi everyone,
I just got a pair of this new MarkAudio fullrange drivers, the CHP-90 and would like to explore the options and have some advice for a nice build!
There are actually 2 rather interesting plans in the MA website, the Psamathe (some kind of TL) and a double bass reflex named Sycorax.
In another thread, the user nandappe posted a floorstanding TQWT that also seems interesting!
Another option I'm actually evaluating it's a so called "Hyper Bass-Reflex" (website of nandappe) that I would say a mix of ???Transmission Line and BLH??? Am I wrong?
I'm particularly interested on this one because I have now a pair of Dayton Audio RS100-4 in a small TLine adapted from this project named HADO and I have to say that they're really great! as desktop speakers! with really surprisingly great and pleasurable bass!!!
I'm actually testing the CHP-90 in a simple pensil and in a TL I've made, medium size box (45x25x25cm) but not really satisfied yet even because the material I'm using to prototype is styrofoam panels! of 3cm... so not at all acoustically perfect! ;) but great for modeling!
Any suggestion is welcome! and specifically to nandappe I would like to ask if it is possible to have a plan of an Hyper Bass for the CHP-90 or if the [HB-03] HB-15F (in attachment and linked above) can be fine!

Attachments

• Psamathe-CHP90-RTL.png
    Psamathe-CHP90-RTL.png
    67.4 KB · Views: 541
  • Sycorax-CHP90-classic-DCR.png
    Sycorax-CHP90-classic-DCR.png
    132.8 KB · Views: 479
  • CHP-90-SPECS.jpg
    CHP-90-SPECS.jpg
    79 KB · Views: 589
  • HB-15F-01.jpg
    HB-15F-01.jpg
    146.3 KB · Views: 606
Last edited:
HB-15F works double bass reflex but does not fit CHP90, so I would recommend DDBH or TQWT.
DDBH-B13-ML, DDVP-12.5-ML, DDVP-15, or TWTD-13.5T would be good.

YouTube | MarkAudio Alpair10v3 + DDBH-B13-ML

Attachments

• DDBH-B13-ML-ENG-01.jpg
    DDBH-B13-ML-ENG-01.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 275
  • DDBH-B13-ML-ENG-02.jpg
    DDBH-B13-ML-ENG-02.jpg
    405.4 KB · Views: 244
  • DDBH-B13-ML-09.jpg
    DDBH-B13-ML-09.jpg
    142.1 KB · Views: 264
  • Thank You
Reactions: 1 users
A question.
model / SDDBH-T13.5R-AD is good for CHP-90mica , or even better ? Of course it is rather. difficult to construct this box but,.... if it can fill the slope below 100Hz I'm thinking to ***** my skills.
Elias

Any type of DDBH, SDDBH, DDVP, TWTD can be reproduced with sufficient sound pressure up to 50Hz.
Please consider the size, appearance, and difficulty of production when making your selection.
SDDBH-T13.5R-AD is very difficult.

By the way, "jww" files is only for windows pc. I use Linux so, .... many plans/drawings are not accessible by me.
Elias

Sorry, I have never used LINUX, so I can't answer your question.

Attachments

• Spectra Comparison - Take Five.jpg
    Spectra Comparison - Take Five.jpg
    468.8 KB · Views: 118
  • Thank You
About SDDBH I have as a guide this

The box on YouTube that Elias introduced is an "Staggered Dual Back-loaded Horn".
It is not a SDDBH (Staggered Dual Back-loaded Horn added Damp-Duct).

If we add an optimal duct to the mouth of the BH, the bass output will change for the better. (DDBH, Back-loaded Horn added Damp-Duct)

SDDBH image.jpg

• Thank You
Reactions: 3 users
The box on YouTube that Elias introduced is an "Staggered Dual Back-loaded Horn".
It is not a SDDBH (Staggered Dual Back-loaded Horn added Damp-Duct).

If we add an optimal duct to the mouth of the BH, the bass output will change for the better. (DDBH, Back-loaded Horn added Damp-Duct)

View attachment 1102660
Nandappe
Thank you so much for the translated schema!
I couldn't find some way to translate from Japanese to English the content of this schema (maybe a partial translation through my mobile phone by capturing my pc-screen) :xmasman:

Elias

according to the data you provided to us for CHP-90mica Sd = 104mm (SD=85cm2 .A little more than 4". So a Passive radiator of ~ 170cm2 (effective piston area) - just Sd=147mm - (something like

SEAS SP18R - H9944 6,5'', or Dayton Audio DS175-PR , or Dayton Audio DSA175-PR ,or .....).​

maybe (just maybe) could be a space saving solution
Elias

Last edited:
Quick update after having them playing from 12hrs a day for a week...
After some test they're now mounted into a temporary wooden slot vented box (approx 21x24x42cm), 14L, slot approx 16x2x12 cm.
Compared to the great DA RS100-4 you can hear that they come from another world in terms of clarity and details of the mid/highs but I'm having problems finding the same great bass! that I have with the small TL of the RS100.
I thought I could get a good bass in a 14L but in fact they sound really thin! So strange!!!
Anyone has a suggestion on how to model a TL also for the CHP-90? keeping the box desktop-size? or after the burn-in period the bass will be better?
Today I'll try something else and maybe play with stuffing to see if something change...
LeifB60 any news? And you Elias? Really going to make some SDDBH?
Any advice is really welcome!!! :)

Hi. It is possible that the bass is not that strong or that you have not tuned the box optimally. I haven't watched BR yet. I will try to tune them around 54Hz. You can experiment with shorter or longer bass reflex tubes. If you tune them too low, the effect can be less bass or if you tune them too high. Balancing.
I can imagine that if you use the larger boxes that you get a boost of the bass. FHXL I think would fit as well as nandapp's suggestion.

Last edited:
Hi, thanks for quick reply!
Yep, maybe u're right and it's really a question of optimal / exact tuning!!!
I want a slot instead of tube so here what WINISD give me (1st time using it but I think shld be fine).
14L, 50hz, slot 2x12,5x17 cm
I'll try be more precise in my model now and I'll post an update...

Attachments

• WINISD-14L-002.jpg
    WINISD-14L-002.jpg
    26.1 KB · Views: 94
  • WINISD-14L-001.jpg
    WINISD-14L-001.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 83
If you want an amplification of the bass, you can raise the selected frequency to 54hz for example. Or a larger box can also do this. Try 20 liters and the same frequency 50hz.
An advantage of bass reflex tubes is that you can make them longer or shorter. You have more opportunity to shape it according to your own sound and your room.

Last edited:
21,7 L, internal size 17,4 x 30 x 42cm, port 1,8 x 14 x 12,5 cm, tuned at 48hz and yes! already much much better!!!
but still looking for that sweet little spot! ;) I'll try more and post resx!
And maybe also some pic soon...
Good.. If you look, you will find what you want.
There are options to change settings. Not everyone likes sound at optimal settings. There are no right or wrong.
Larger box gives deeper bass or stronger bass.
I am sure you will find the right one for you.

LeifB60 any news? And you Elias? Really going to make some SDDBH?
Any advice is really welcome!!! :)
My sitting room can accommodate a pair of floor standers as my main listening enclosures. I will follow Nandappe 's suggestions (SDDBH or DDVP) . He is the most experienced I believe from the participants to both enclosures, but before that I'm waiting the answer from soundimports