Mark Levinson No23 repair help

Hans,
I changed the problematic transistor and quess what, now they match nicely!

Here are voltages over 0.22 resistors(mV):
positive side:
10,9.6, 11.3, 11.6, 9.4 10.5
negative side:
8.3, 11.4, 9, 8.8, 13.3, 9.7

output dc voltage 4.8mV.

I have no idea how did I put so bad transistor at first.

Handel
Well, congrats, that’s marvelous.

Maybe you should let the amp idle for the next 24 hrs.
If all still O.K., then let’s hope that this is the end of your journey through Amp-land.

Succes,
Hans

Hans,
I think I still have issue with my right channel. Take a look at these scope views from speaker terminals.

Attachments

• IMG_20200505_164859.jpg
    IMG_20200505_164859.jpg
    985.6 KB · Views: 199
  • IMG_20200505_165036.jpg
    IMG_20200505_165036.jpg
    988.2 KB · Views: 194
No input signal and just open connection, I also tried to short the inputs and the result was same.

Here are the same measurements with WH.1 and WH.5 shorted.

First of all: What is in detail the left and resp. the right image ?

1) Now disconnect the four connections of the OL-2 board and make the same recording again with WH.1 and WH.5 still shorted.

2) and with the above situation, connect the shorted WH.1/WH.5 connection to the speaker output to completely disable the output stage.
Now do the measurement again.

Hans

Sorry Hans, I was not clear enough. The pictures are left and right channel.

When I measured WH.1 and WH.5 shorted it was number 1 case.

Here is the number 2 case. WH.1 and WH.5 shorted and connected to output.

Attachments

• IMG_20200505_224218.jpg
    IMG_20200505_224218.jpg
    996.9 KB · Views: 145
  • IMG_20200505_224023.jpg
    IMG_20200505_224023.jpg
    985.3 KB · Views: 36
You see sinus on the left channel because by my mistake I made the measurement to left channel also even if I did not do the short in the WHs, so that is why left channel have been all the time same.

Do you need same measurements from the left channel also or is it enough to concentrate to right channel?
Another question; do I need to use 8ohm resistor between the speaker terminals when doing these measurements?
In all these measurements 200mV/div and 5us/div

You see sinus on the left channel because by my mistake I made the measurement to left channel also even if I did not do the short in the WHs, so that is why left channel have been all the time same.

Do you need same measurements from the left channel also or is it enough to concentrate to right channel?
Another question; do I need to use 8ohm resistor between the speaker terminals when doing these measurements?
In all these measurements 200mV/div and 5us/div

I have sent you a PM where I suggest to shorten the line and communicate per email.

I still don't understand what you are saying, why do I see a sinus from the left channel when no signal is applied ??
This channel should show noise at a very low level, in the uV range.

Hans

I am happy to inform that after countless hours hard work and email exchange, Mark Levinson No.23 is back in life again.:)
Without help from Hans I could never ever have done it. Thank you diyAudio and Hans Polak. Attached a few photos from the amplifier in action.

Attachments

• IMG_20200528_133820.jpg
    IMG_20200528_133820.jpg
    249.6 KB · Views: 283
  • IMG_20200528_133850.jpg
    IMG_20200528_133850.jpg
    296.1 KB · Views: 277
Reactions: 1 user
I am happy to inform that after countless hours hard work and email exchange, Mark Levinson No.23 is back in life again.:)
Without help from Hans I could never ever have done it. Thank you diyAudio and Hans Polak. Attached a few photos from the amplifier in action.

Hannu,

In fact I must thank you.
Because of our conversation in this thread several people contacted me and I could succesfully repair for them 2 further ML23.5 amps and one ML No.380 pre amp.

I had no idea there where so many (broken) ML amps around in Holland.

Hans

Reactions: 1 user
I have a No.23,5 acting strangely. The left channel would go much louder (higher gain) after a few hours playing. The lead time would get shorter and shorter if I play music through the 23.5 more often. When this happens if I touch the negative post of the loudspeaker terminal the loudspeaker produces a loud noise like feedback. From the scope I can see some kind of oscillation. Can I ask Hans to help me fixing this issue?

I have a No.23,5 acting strangely. The left channel would go much louder (higher gain) after a few hours playing. The lead time would get shorter and shorter if I play music through the 23.5 more often. When this happens if I touch the negative post of the loudspeaker terminal the loudspeaker produces a loud noise like feedback. From the scope I can see some kind of oscillation. Can I ask Hans to help me fixing this issue?

Hi Mat0633,

I found it a great experience to do a remote repair once, but it is way more time consuming than to do the repair myself.
The problem you describe is not a matter of giving a simple advise, but will probably take hours and hours in communication with no guarantee in result.
Don't know where you live, but I'm always willing to do the repair for you.

Hans

Hi Hans,
Thank you so much for your quick reply. I am living in Canada. I am a electronic engineer and will do my best from your advice. I have screen shot of the image of the oscillation from the scope but don't know how to attach to here. I am checking all the small caps in the driver board to see if any one broken causing the oscillation. but these increase in gain happens only continuous on for several days (i.e.3 days) after I switch off the No.23.5 for few weeks, if I switch on it again in the next days it could happens in hours; if I switch it on again the next day it would happen in 30 min. Thanks Hans, I will do my best to save your time.