Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

LOL @ all the comments

Mickie - Yes it is the two gears (toothed gear and worm gear for moving the laser) I changed, the blue gear is the cdm 12.4 gear

Malefoda - Thanks for the website comments, its taken me two weeks to build that f***ing site - FIN was just my way of ending the list NOT THE UPGRADES so I did it in a Euro stylee

Simon and Lee are the male weirdos I sometimes have round here (not gay or owt!... well i'm not anyway hehe)

CFP etc on the DOS depends on what I decide. I have 3 options

1) Add CFP etc to current well modded DOS

2) Build the latest pcb up (steves version of rays dos) and swap my parts over

3) Do a completely new pcb and design custom for my player

With regards the wife, well I do my upgrades at work ;-) and she loves how her crap pop cds sound S**T on my system lol. She does understand compression now though (bless!)

Brent

Last edited:
I fitted the gears which has improved tracking and quietened down the sled noise.
I made the C2 clock 8.46Mhz, got rid of all the logic and ran direct from the osc, bypassed the voltage feed resistors to the logic supply to utilise the sepc oscons and added a sepc onto the 3.3v rail. I added a 3.3v rail cap to the dac clock also. Surprisingly more lovely top end detail can be heard with a tiny improvement in timing.

Brent

Joined 2006
Paid Member
Brent, it will be interesting to see if I can hear a difference. Although it's been a while since I last heard it.

Yesterday I built up my servo psu which is offboard

An externally hosted image should be here but it was not working when we last tested it.

It's only this over the top because I'm flat-broke and am using up parts from the used parts bin.

Lee.

That looks incredible... Are you using it for the servos on a Marantz CDP ?

Now I know how you placed those big shunts in the dac.

I tend to run the shunts between 250 and 300mA... they sound much better this way.

Hi Ricardo, what heatsinks do you use when running these shunts at 250ma to 300ma?

I run my dcb1 at about 400ma and it does indeed sound better.

But was wondering if I could up my shunts in dac From 200ma to 300ma without changing heatsinks.

Thanks

Alon

I'm having a problem with my CD53. There is too much high. I haven't done a lot of the mods yet, but I think the problem lies with some parts I removed (as specified in Ray's list) while not doing the other mods. This is what I have done so far:

Power supply:
- Replaced C813 and C814
- Replaced Q811
- Haven't done any of the other mods yet

Opamps (CD53 doesn't have HDAM):
- removed C659/660
- removed R655/R656
- Removed QN05...08
- Replaced opamps
- Didn't do the other mods

DAC:
- Removed CD04, CD07 and CD15/16
- Didn't do the other mods

Now I'm getting too much high. Also, because I removed R655/656 the output volume has increased substantially, which is to be expected, but maybe I'm getting too much high because I only did part of the mods?

Ehm, that's not possible :D

The mods you did have no influence on the signal's output voltage. Even the 10k load of R655/656 has no impact whatsoever.

It looks like you accidentally changed something in the filter around the opamps. If the highs are overly loud, the filter characteristic could have changed by a loose resistor or cap. This could also explain the output being so loud suddenly.

What type of opamp did you use?

Ray

Well, I have it connected to my mixer and I have to set the volume knob a lot lower to get the same volume as other devices (pre-amp that's connected to a record player and a keyboard). It has nothing to too with volume/gain settings on the mixer. It's strange that the CD53 is a lot louder than the other devices. I can't remember if I had this issue before I started modding, but I don't remember having to set the volume knob on my mixer very low.

I haven't replaced any resistors. I'm guessing that the chance is almost non-existant that a faulty connection or mistake would result in an equal gain on both channels without affecting the sound itself?

Last edited:
Joined 2006
Paid Member