Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Yes - as said you need a good external DAC. As a transport the Squeezebox is better than most CDPs (and if a CD63 was to beat it, it would have to be a well-modded one, certainly not a stock one). It's like anything else though you can take it as far as you want to go, just like a CDP. You can hack them open, re-box them, install better clocks, use the data lines to feed any DAC chip you like and bypass S/PDIF. It is not limited any more than a CDP is.

My PC is in my bedroom and my hifi is not, so no PC noise to worry about. Using digital out from the PC would be a no-go, and I don't want to have to use the PC to navigate either.

Even on its own, stock, the Squeezebox classic is as good as a good £300 CD player.

I'm certainly not going back now, not now the SB3-->DacMagic-->Zapfilter2 combo is in the house! I might get the new Squeezebox Touch though as the s/pdif is said to be outstandingly good.

For those interested, the Squeezebox Receiver (half of Duet) feeds its internal DAC standard I2S, and many have built uber receivers where the've reboxed them and attached all manner of clocks and DIY DACs to them, TDA1541A non-OS, the lot, so there is nothing to limit you if you're prepared to go all the way.

Nice one, to have a pissed-off seller because of this...

It looks cheap, and probably sounds cheap too. I bet it's just a standard oscillator can.

Matthieu, you can have my last Flea PCB for free, to get you out of this misery!

Attachments

• JZ3.jpg
    JZ3.jpg
    81.7 KB · Views: 165
Last edited:
Nice one, to have a pissed-off seller because of this...

It looks cheap, and probably sounds cheap too. I bet it's just a standard oscillator can.

Matthieu, you can have my last Flea PCB for free, to get you out of this misery!

Hi Ray,
the good point, beside price, is that it can -when it works- drive the Servo also... but when it works...
And I welcome your offer very much, I have spare parts from my ... 4th Flea! OMG for a guy who was asking "what's resistors few years ago I think you gave me that kind of DIY plague :)
I'm a bit ashamed I have nothing I can think of to offer to you guys :(

Simon, defo better with that twin reclock than standard, I thought it was... efficient!

Matthieu

would you all concur that these old Marantz have been taken as far as they can, given the time and attention and inventiveness that's been poured into them? The only avenue that has been more or less ignore is this one Lukasz Fikus Lampizator. Well I might have missed something along the way. 1400 pages is a lot to go thru! Brent has dismissed this approach when I asked. I fully understand his reluctance but I have to say, reading thru Lukasz's site, that he makes a very convincing case. Feedback?