Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

The Squeezebox is stock, albeit with a double-regulated linear PSU.

I tapped into the DM supply just after the power switch and fed that into the Zapfilter box too, just to activate a relay. So when I switch the DM on/off, the Zap box powers on/off too.

John Swenson - who can be found on many forums and is a well-known Squeezebox modder - claims that the digital o/p of the new Squeezebox Touch is utterly superb, so I may get one of those. He was a beta tester for the hardware and software. Difficult to know what the gains would be though, as the DM has been measured as having particularly good jitter rejection.

Maybe I'll pick up another old Cambridge phono amp (that's where the box came from, the 540P!) and build a PSU in that....

For the moment though, very happy with how it all sounds and definitely worth the effort (especially as I already had the Zapfilter lying around).

Hi all fantastic thread have read upto page 160 (1300 to go!! ) i am new to cd modding, have a basic grasp of electronics GCE at school (how old!!) but am reading all i can about the subject. i have accquired a cd63se with some mods. from reading this thread the mods are superclock 4 with seperate ps, mute trans are removed. headphone circuit components removed. black gates near the op amps with are ad823 units(any good?) chassis has been dampened not the tranport though, i have not taken the board out yet so i do not know if anything has been replaced there.. the dc blocking caps are still there( c655-c658) all hdam componets are there and not bypassed. i will be runnig this cdp into a valve amp(leak stereo 20) with no pre amp just some voltage dividers at the amps input rca's to reduce the gain. would removal of the blocking caps and hdam bypass be ok for this setup? also are the op amps up to a hdam bypass? also the superclock ps caps seem to be glued to the board on top of other components( very untidy ) can this glue be removed easily? any suggestions, and future mods would be very welcome. now back to those 1300 odd pages........
regards

Deane

remove and short the DC blocking caps (elna silmics I think) for sure!!! Just make sure ther eis no DC on the op of the HDAM!!!;) Elco's in the signal path are normally horrid!!!

Depending on how much has been done to the rest will depend of if you should bypass the HDAMs now or not. If the opamps are good enough then you could try it! You'll loose some bass (well flabby uncontrolled bass at least) when you do it so things like the upgraded smoothing caps will need to be done 1st. Its just a question of trying it and seeing what it give you really!

I'm guessing you'll pick the general idea's up as you go through the tread!!!!:)

Forgive my ignorance, but where do music servers like Squeezebox get the music from?

Do you have to connect them to a computer? If so, what's the type of link and do you need special software?

Do they include a DAC or do you have to feed their output to a separate DAC? If so, why not just run the SPDIF from your soundcard to an existing DAC?

I DON'T SEE THE POINT OF THEM.

Will someone please educate me!!

Last edited:
Thanks Brent, I think I understand now. Must get into the 21 century sometime.

So presumably people transfer their CDs to the PC HDD then play them from there? It 's just that I've seen some Sqeezeboxes connected to external DACs - that's what confused me.

Is this method any better than a good CD player/DAC combo?