Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Thanks for that Ray

I have
replaced Opamps
replaced Clock
removed mute trans
removed DC blocking caps

still to install Sregs for DAC, Decoder and move Sregs closer to Opamps.

when having the volume up louder I can hear hissing in the background of the music playing, can only hear it if the music goes soft and someone is singing

I will try another amp/Preamp and interconnects see if that is the problem

any thoughts

Cheers
Elroy

Joined 2006
Paid Member
e1roy said:

when having the volume up louder I can hear hissing in the background of the music playing, can only hear it if the music goes soft and someone is singing

Hi Elroy

The hissing may be "normal" . It is a trade off for the benefits of better sound.

Try to clean the opamp psu.

I used to hear hissing with LM4562 (very low) and cured it with a DOS.

Ricardo

e1roy said:

It might not be a problem. As I've upgraded CD players or heard CD players in a higher state of tune they've revealed more background hiss and noise. This can be a good sign of fidelity!

Simon

"Ray-regs" and things

I've come very late to this thread and slowly ploughing thru the 11,000 odd posts, learning quite a lot more than I ever expected to know about CD Players - I'm a speaker guy...

I was wondering iabout the Ray-reg cct - I haven't come to it yet and getting quite curious - could someone direct me to the approximate page, please.

I am considering using the Teddy-Regs units for the Digital and Analogue supplies but wondered if a simpler reg on more of the chips would achieve better results, and if these ideas would also apply to different CD Player (ie Rotel RCD-855, etc)

e1roy said:
Thanks Simon and Ricardo

When using a DOS you don't need opamps?

is there any other options to try and clean the hiss a little

cheers
Happy Xmas+New Year

Hi Elroy,

The Discrete Output Stage is a fully opamp-less solution that replaces the entire analog stage. It has a passive 3rd order filter and a discrete buffer stage (with transistors or FET's) that amplifies the signal.

The hiss is residual HF noise from the DAC. Normally, you don't hear this: when the player is stopped, the muting transistors suppress this noise. But during very soft passages, it should have always been there. Since you didn't touch the filter yet, I doubt something may be wrong, but you could check the soldering around the opamps. If the filter is not properly connected, it might do only half a job.

You could insert a muting relay to restore the muting function.

Regards,

Ray

As I've upgraded CD players or heard CD players in a higher state of tune they've revealed more background hiss and noise. This can be a good sign of fidelity!
I think that's true to a point, but you are really getting somewhere when you don't notice the noise anymore, almost regardless of level.

As in, it appears to exist in a plane apparantly separate from the music. This means you've got signal- correlated noise in the analogue-side PSUs right down IMO ;)

Re: "Ray-regs" and things

jameshillj said:
I was wondering iabout the Ray-reg cct - I haven't come to it yet and getting quite curious - could someone direct me to the approximate page, please.

Hi James,

The info on the Rayregulators is spread through the thread. However, you can download the pdf schematic from Post #5282. That post also has a link to Martin Clark's website which contains a discussion on lowing the noise of three terminal regulators. There is another post which has a pdf file from ALW about the importance of separating the adjust or "sense" ground from the other ground and taking it directly to the ground pin of the chip being fed by the reg. However, I can't pinpoint that document at the moment.

Hope that helps.

Joe

Joined 2006
Paid Member
L700 said:

after changing the chip still same problem ... i change all the 3 chip also the same :(

Follow wires/tracks between open tray button and the controller (big chip). Base yourself in the schematics. and try to verify the voltages. Maybe the problem is there.

Remenber exactly what have you been modding before the problem and verify all solder points.

I am not an electronics expert but as the drivers are ok, next step is to verify the controller chip.

Regards

Ricardo

Joined 2006
Paid Member
rowemeister said:

The coax mod is very easy,

Hi Brent

Now that i reopened the CDP, it looks really easy.

As I already have a dedicated reg on the HF amp near the decoder, I believe I can benefit from a reg on the mech pcb.

Can you please suggest the best location for this reg ?

Can I plug this reg onto the psu I installed for the decoder analog ?

Merry Christmas !
:xmastree: :xmastree: :xmastree:

Ricardo

Hi Ray
Merry Xmas to you and all here
Well I haven’t started to upgrade my CD 67 only fitted a new laser that’s as far as I got and thank you for the help I got here on that works grate but will start it soon maybe?? As I know have a Arcam 6 to play with and well even as standard no mods dun to it it blows away the marantz CD67 no elect caps in the output and no mute transistors only relays and of course better op-amp a 5460D / OP27 OK something even better would be good but if I'm honest I'm not a fan of op-amps and would much prefer an DOS/or valve output in both players but I stand by your recommendations and will most likely try these new op-amps if you have any plans for an Arcam 6 upgrades or if you have a link pleas let me know
Cheers
Colin:)

RCruz said:

Follow wires/tracks between open tray button and the controller (big chip). Base yourself in the schematics. and try to verify the voltages. Maybe the problem is there.

Remenber exactly what have you been modding before the problem and verify all solder points.

I am not an electronics expert but as the drivers are ok, next step is to verify the controller chip.

Regards

Ricardo

thanks for ur help .... i already check all the solder joint n resolder already no help now on holiday no time to troubleshoot MERRY CHRISTMAS

martin clark said:
I think that's true to a point, but you are really getting somewhere when you don't notice the noise anymore, almost regardless of level.

As in, it appears to exist in a plane apparantly separate from the music. This means you've got signal- correlated noise in the analogue-side PSUs right down IMO ;)

I know what you mean, it's like that at Brent's house :D

6h5c said:
Any of you listened to the new OPA827 opamp yet?

I just recieved some last week, and WOW, it wipes the floor with 'my' AD8610!

The sound is very open and detailed, looks like Burr Brown managed to make an opamp that doesn't sound...'brownish' :D. Recommended!

Regards,

Ray

Hey Ray, that sounds interesting, I could try some in my Philips CD player or Yam DSP E800!

Merry Christmas everyone :santa2:

DOS

Hello Everyone and Merry Christmas,
I have now installed DOS no. 2 in my 8260 player in my Australian system. Results are consistent with the first DOS that I installed last August in my American 8260 player and system.
New DOS is slightly different from first one however. I strictly followed Ray's parts list, only adding a bypass cap across the output cap, because I already had a teflon cap looking for someplace to be used. I used DEXA low noise regulators, one for
+12V and one for -12V, and wired from regulator output to other channel with rail caps on each channel. This seems a sensible way to go as it's all from a single psu anyway.
I ran the player on repeat for 3 overnights at first installation. This seemed to settle in all the BG caps pretty well. I've not noticed any changes in the past week. I didn't do this with the first DOS, and it seemed to take up to 3 weeks for the caps to fully settle.
The low noise regulators are the way to go with the DOS, lowering the sound threshold by quite a bit over standard 7812 and 7912 regs. The low noise regs are costly, but very worth it!

Soundwise well, as I wrote after the first DOS installation, everyone with a player that can use this DOS should really think about doing this project. This, along with a clock upgrade, will get you top of the line performance in a digital player that will rival the best that's out there in playback performance, whether it be sacd or rbcd.

Next, and likely last, project for the player is to add a low noise regulator to the clock psu. I've got an SPower coming from Brent and hope that gives the player a little bit more performance. Then I can put the screws back in the lid for good, I hope.

Steve

colin.hepburn2 said:
Hi Ray
As I know have a Arcam 6 to play with and well even as standard no mods dun to it it blows away the marantz CD67
Cheers
Colin:)

Hi Colin,

You mean the Arcam Alpha 6? It has a reasonable DAC chip, looks a lot like the one in the CD67, with RAW pwm outputs, only it's 20 bit and has no integrated oversampling filter. Much better compared to the PCM171x crap they put in some of the other models. Arcam probably didn't make much of the analog filter :bawling:. The OP27 really has to go! It should benefit a lot if you put a DOS in there, but a few decent opamps will do wonders too.

I have no plans to mod one myself, however... :D

Ray

Thanks for all and good luck to ya all!

Hi there,
removing bookmarks of my former life (when working hard was meaning earning more) and removing DIYAudio as well I wanna thank you all, I've learned a lot here as you where all patient (when I read my first messages... OMG was I so ignorant??) and willing to share. Long way from OPamps combo and such...
Anyway right now all my audio stuff is almot gone (the guy wanna listen to my stuff on his monster's Cabasses) but all my stuff, main system (CD53 and G&W intergrated, the Quads... all! Even my Aura stuff!) is almost gone. Still my thousand of CD... don't know what to do of this...
Brent is the winner, my rotary engine will go in new (and young and crazy... OMG) hands this weekend, pistons engine wins.

Anyway thanks to ya all, wish you the best, avoid business or life in France if you can, going very bad here. Maybe we'll have to do like in Greece soon...

Good luck to you all!

Last words from Judas Priest:

Once I dreamed that love would come and sweep me up away
Now it seems life's passed me by, I'm still alone today
Here come the tears

Looks like it'll always be the same
No one here to comfort me
Here come the tears

All alone, no one cares.
So much to give to you all out there.

Take me now, in your arms.
Let me rest, safe from harm.