Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

TDLofCC said:
I'll do a search on that one. It's the last mod I want to do on the player ... but I don't know if I want to make it a very expensive one since the player only cost me 80 euros.

Any thoughts on the opamps ?

In that case you might want to consider a cheaper clock, but I'm sure it will be lower in performance.

I use 2 x OPA627 in my CD player and love them (expensive though). I use LM4562 in my preamp and love those, becuase they are so neutral sounding. Others report these chips work well in the CD63/7 too. They will be your best bet.

Simon

6h5c said:

Well.... I wouldn't be too sure of that. Did you try The Flea yet? Probably the best bang for the buck too :yes:.

Ray

I'm not sure either Ray, I just thought a more complex design with expensive parts would be ideal here. I would love for somebody to compare some.

Mine is not actually a Superclock by the way, it's a lowly "DVC-1 Masterclock", which cost me £100 new from Audiocom about 5 years ago. It's lived in two CD players and has served me well! But it will be changed soon...

Simon

I can verify, for anyone interested, that Brent's CD63 mods do work rather well! Shown in extended listening accompanied by fine wines, brandies, whiskey, port and sherry. A good host who dispensed the wife when she tried to begin music-disrupting conversation.

Some very clear vocals and fantastic detail, and a defined bottom end entirely dependent on the recording.

Only problem is feeling ropey today!

:drink:

Hehe It was a good night.

I look forward to the return leg at yours. I had a quick listen when i picked you up and was very impressed. Especially with the room acoustics.
Dire Strates sounded fuller and less bright than mine and its pretty much down to your wall diffusers. I may devorce the wife and put some on my walls.

I want to hear your uber sub running to the max too LOL

Brent

Re: op-amps

SimontY said:
I decided it was high time I tried the LM4562 in my CD player in place of my much-loved OPA627s.

I'm pretty shocked, I must admit. The 4562s are significantly cleaner and more detailed! And it doesn't sound sterile and boring as I had feared.

Now for some Straits...

Bit cold on the top! But that's probably the true nature of this CD.

I just signed up with national, for 3 samples of those LM4562s :)
Hope they arrive here soon :p

Can't wait to change the opamps for something better.