Marantz CD63 & CD67 mods list

Maybe someone here can help me. I'm looking for a simple, affordable +5V regulator for a TDA1541 DAC in a CD player but I just can't figure it out.

Maybe a shunt reg from Ebay? Any suggestions?

Only other options I can think of are LM7805 or LM317 based reg but I need something better that's still cheap and not too time consuming to put together.

That sounds good. Is there a schematic of this? Do I only put a BC547 before the LM317 or do I need to add a resistor and decoupling cap to the BC547 as well?

edit: so 10k resistor and 3.3uF cap as well? Can I use something cheaper and smaller than a huge film cap?

Last edited:
That sounds good. Is there a schematic of this? Do I only put a BC547 before the LM317 or do I need to add a resistor and decoupling cap to the BC547 as well?

edit: so 10k resistor and 3.3uF cap as well? Can I use something cheaper and smaller than a huge film cap?
The configuration of the BC547 is a common capacitor amplification circuit. Just google for a schematic....

If you want to apply such a circuit before the LM317, mind the restricted current capabilities (and power handling) of the BC547.. You might want to use an other transistor or darlington.

Maybe someone here can help me. I'm looking for a simple, affordable +5V regulator for a TDA1541 DAC in a CD player but I just can't figure it out.

Maybe a shunt reg from Ebay? Any suggestions?

Only other options I can think of are LM7805 or LM317 based reg but I need something better that's still cheap and not too time consuming to put together.

Hi,

I used a flea for +5V regulator in my TDA1541 player, if you buy the parts from ray it's about 25euro iirc.

It was a big improvement but having good +/- 15v regs was also a big improvement.

Regards

Pete

Regards

Pete

Hi,

I used a flea for +5V regulator in my TDA1541 player, if you buy the parts from ray it's about 25euro iirc.

It was a big improvement but having good +/- 15v regs was also a big improvement.

Regards

Pete

Regards

Pete

Sorry, I forgot. If you use a flea for the 5v you need to add/change some bits to up the current output. I can't remember where I got the info but I guess it was the flea forum on the pink fish site.

I don't think so, but if you get a bare PCB you can build it yourself and that will be cheaper. It will take some time sourcing all the parts though.

As for the Flea, you could put a 5x7mm SMD oscillator on it, from Crystek for example. They also have good low-jitter specs and are less expensive. It can be a bit problematic finding the odd CD frequency, but some manufacturers issue free samples if you ask them nicely :)

Regards,

Ray

BC547 is fine for the TDA but not for the SAA7220 filter. Is 2N2222 a good enough substitute? I want to use a tracking preregulator with 2 LM317s for the SAA though. Should I put the gyrator before the prereg or after?

The SAA7220 draws about 200mA. Don't bother with the emitter-follower for such a reg - just use CRC before the tracking prereg. Something like 1000 / 4.7ohm, 2W resistor / 1000uF will do the same job with only 1v drop-out. make it 2200uF if you like. Simple, brute-force and effective filtering :)

bigger chassis

As things seem to have gone quiet thought I would post a partially complete drawing of a larger chassis I have been working on for the CD63.
The largest piece being 3mm steel which I have yet to get copper plated and the lid 1.2mm stainless steel.
I would rather have a one box player than a separate box for transformers.
not sure I have uploaded the picture correctly till I post.

Attachments

• exploded_view.jpg
    exploded_view.jpg
    190.3 KB · Views: 186
Joined 2006
Paid Member
As things seem to have gone quiet thought I would post a partially complete drawing of a larger chassis I have been working on for the CD63.
The largest piece being 3mm steel which I have yet to get copper plated and the lid 1.2mm stainless steel.
I would rather have a one box player than a separate box for transformers.
not sure I have uploaded the picture correctly till I post.

Good job.

Would you share with us your box provider ?